newbie question on tip down carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

newbie question on tip down carry

Post by iyn »

I've been a spyderco owner for 17 years. Recently I decided to carry a larger knife than a delica. Since I have small hands it was hard to deploy my stretch or endura smoothly from the tip up position. I saw video from paladin press that shows how to deploy a folding knife from the tip down position. I tried it and it works better for me carrying tip down. But is the disadvantage to tip down carry?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I like tip down on longer knives. Puts my fingers at the pivot and my thumb on the thumbhole.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Like many other things, folks develop strong preferences based mostly on familiarity but, aside from not being compatible with Emerson openers, there's no real disadvantage at all to tip down carry. On the other hand, it offers the advantage of reduced risk of accidental in-pocket opening since it works with gravity rather than fighting it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Everyone is going to tell you something different, but in IMO there most ceratinly is a disadvantage of tip down carry. I find it hard to argue that tip down is NOT as safe as tip up when tip up carry......in the front pocket at least. In the front pocket, right hand tip up for example....the blade is pressed against your pocket and doesn't have much of an ability to open accidentally in your pocket. With tip down the blade faces the open part of your pocket, and it has an opportunity to be opened. I've had it happen, and I believe I've heard someone else here talking about it as well. I actually don't mind either carry, but I do't worry about tip up opening in my pocket. tip down I never keep anything else in my pocket....I don't want to pull anything out and snag the spydie hole open, and I don't want to put my hand where an open blade could be
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most detents are set properly to avoid accidental opening. The most apparent is rubbing a jimped spine reaching into your pocket which is uncomfortable.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I use the tip down on all larger folders and many smaller ones now. After getting used to
tip down on teh Military, I found that I liked it on the smaller ones as well. It's the old
preference thing. I say try different ways and settle on one, then practice until it is second
nature.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I use tip down because it works best with the way I open a tactical knife. I learned a method years ago from an old Vietnam Ranger buddy of mine that is faster than an automatic or assisted opener either one.Besides tip down seems safer to me. I mean imagine running you hand in your pocket on something like a Para 2 with the blade partially open.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I use tip down because it works best with the way I open a tactical knife. I learned a method years ago from an old Vietnam Ranger buddy of mine that is faster than an automatic or assisted opener either one.Besides tip down seems safer to me. I mean imagine running you hand in your pocket on something like a Para 2 with the blade partially open.
I'm curious about your opening method. Can you describe it please?
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Main reason I carry tip up, the pivot gets gunked up with dust and dirt much easier with tip down as it is exposed, instead of somewhat protected by the pocket tip up. Deployment doesn't make a difference to me.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The method I mentioned is not only faster but better because you don't have to find that button on an auto you can with the right knife and enough practice open from any grip. First you have to have the right knife and by that I mean one that has enought steel sticking up above the handles. That's why I like the Spydrrco catalogs because they show their knives in the closed position and I can just about tell by looking at a knife in a catalog if it is tight or not. I simply pick up the knife grip the blade between thumb and middle finger start it with those two and with a quick flick of the wrist kick it with the thumb. With enough practice this is lightning fast you have complete control of the knife and there are no questions about the legallity of the knife.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The method I mentioned is not only faster but better because you don't have to find that button on an auto you can with the right knife and enough practice open from any grip. First you have to have the right knife and by that I mean one that has enought steel sticking up above the handles. That's why I like the Spydrrco catalogs because they show their knives in the closed position and I can just about tell by looking at a knife in a catalog if it is tight or not. I simply pick up the knife grip the blade between thumb and middle finger start it with those two and with a quick flick of the wrist kick it with the thumb. With enough practice this is lightning fast you have complete control of the knife and there are no questions about the legallity of the knife.
Wow! and you needed a vietnam vet to show you this? I thought it was some secret ninja method instead of what all us tip down guys do. :p

Ever see Mike Janich deploy his folders?
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

I've always carried tip-down until recently because it seems cheaper knives only let you configure them tip-down. My first "good" knife (a Kershaw Salvo combo-edge) allowed me to try tip-up, and I've since been convinced it is a superior configuration.

Main reason for me is basic ergonomics. I mostly do draw-cutting with the pommel of the grip in my palm and my thumb and index along the side and spine of the knife, and when I pull a tip-down knife out of my pocket I have to rotate it in my hand, open it, then grip it to draw my cut, then close it, flip it in my hand, and pocket it.
With tip down the grip is already nearly set, so I just pull it out, open it, cut, close it, and pocket it.

The added benefit of the increased security (blade facing "wall" of pocket, not volume, so it can't pop open by chance) is a bonus.
Now I won't buy a knife if it doesn't at least have the option of tip-up carry. To me it'd be like tossing a handgun in a pouch rather than in a holster, so you need to draw it and find the grip it rather than drawing it in your grip already.
"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I got stabbed by a tip-down CRKT KISS while trying to take my keys from my pocket, so now I carry tip up only.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
26.2Madness

Post by 26.2Madness »

I much prefer Tip-Up carry. If the knife is tip-up and opens in the pocket I may cut off my finger, but if the knife is tip-down in the pocket and accidentally opens, I may cut off something much more important than my finger.....
iyn

Post by iyn »

I notice with tip down carry positon I can index my middle finger on the curve part of the clip and it puts my index finger in line with the hole so my thumb finds the hole with maximum leverage for my thumb to flick the blade open. I can transition from the delica, endura and stretch 2 with no problem. This might be an odd technique, but this works for me in weak hand carry too. I like spydero's lockback design so I'm guessing i will not have to worry about blade retention. Thanks Sal for the tip down option.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Either carry method is safe if detent is proper. A tip-down only knife with weak detent can be pushed against a pocket seam in the same way to guard the opening.

Spyderco lockbacks are great with a strong self-close.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

spyderdog wrote:With tip down the blade faces the open part of your pocket, and it has an opportunity to be opened.
I like to carry the larger knives tip-down (for me 'large' starts with a Delica) if possible because it makes it easier for me to reach the thumb hole. But to avoid to have the back of the blade and the jimping scratch my hand I usually mount the clip the left-handed way. I know, it sounds weird but this means the blade is pressed against the side seam of my right front pocket. That's also the reason why I love Spydies that have a 4-way pocket clip. In general I would say, whatever carrying option works is just fine.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I always liked tip up, but after getting my military I switched some of my larger knives to tip down, which includes my endura and para2. One reason I like larger knives tip down which no one has mentioned yet is that the knife is all ready for a spyder drop. Reach in grab the knife and the whole pull out and with alittle wrist motion the knife is deployed. Defensive purposes is the last reason why I carry a knife, but if I had to I found this is the fastest way for me to get the blade out fast. Your hand will be choked up on the knife a bit, but that blade is out and ready.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The only problem with tip down for me is the gimping on the knife tears my hand up. As far as deployment goes, I can open my knife just as fast ethier way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Gunslinger wrote:The only problem with tip down for me is the gimping on the knife tears my hand up. As far as deployment goes, I can open my knife just as fast ethier way.
Ouch. Yeah. Been there. Done that. Avoid carrying my knives with the back of the blade facing inside my pocket now. Also agree on the deployment speed statement. Although personally I can't really see myself ever in need of quick deployment. For me it's more a matter of comfortable deployment without twisting my hand or fingers whichever way to get to the knife. Which in turn usually means it's quicker.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder: