Got a Manix 2XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EarthDog

Got a Manix 2XL

Post by EarthDog »

I haven't been buying many knives, but recently, I decided that I deserved a treat. :) So, off to the local to see what Spydies were in stock. Tempted by the Para 2. Seriously considered the Ayoob. Pondered the Caly 3.5 Super Blue, but was discouraged by the corrosion (:eek :) .

Started to pass over the Super Leaf, since I already have two, but wait, that has a ball lock! OK, this is big, like the original Manix, but with many refinements. Ball lock is smooth. Lots of jimping, and a new standard in "feels good in the hand." The handle curves, fits, and hugs the hand; even the pinky is secure. A choil allows choking up on that big flat ground blade. The G-10 is grippy without being aggresive.

When I compare it to the Manix 2, I can see why this is the XL; although it is really a return to the size of the original.

Another favorite!
EarthDog
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Congrats! This has been in my shopping cart a few times online but I have not gone through with it.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
BAL

Post by BAL »

Congrats on the XL. It looks a great addition to the collection. I like the larger blades
and love the Manix 2. I would agree with you on the Massad Ayoob. I think that
more people would get one if they got a chance to hold one. One of my favorites.
BAL

Post by BAL »

rg02 wrote:Congrats! This has been in my shopping cart a few times online but I have not gone through with it.
I thought that I was the only one to do that. I had a Military in my cart too many
times to count before I finally pulled the trigger. I had never spent that much on
a knife (at that time) and was having a hard time justifying it. Now I couldn't live
without it.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

BAL wrote:I thought that I was the only one to do that. I had a Military in my cart too many
times to count before I finally pulled the trigger. I had never spent that much on
a knife (at that time) and was having a hard time justifying it. Now I couldn't live
without it.
yeah, my thing is I have the XHP Millie that i use as my big folder and dont really need another one in the Manix 2 XL. If I have a heavier duty task, i always have my ESEE 3 fixed blade in my EDC bag that i can beat up with the no questions asked warranty.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I currently have a Manix 2 XL on order and can't wait for it to come in. Just looking at it I would say it's probably the best tactical made for the money at present.
Bizill

Post by Bizill »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I currently have a Manix 2 XL on order and can't wait for it to come in. Just looking at it I would say it's probably the best tactical made for the money at present.
I was wanting a Manix XL for "tactical" purposes as well, but then I realized just how thin that blade actually is and I feel for my "tactical" purposes, I'd fare better with the shorter blade length of my Manix Sprint run in BD30p. Even that has a blade that isn't quite up to the task of "tactical". I'm starting to see the need for a tanto blade.
Bizill

Post by Bizill »

MOFO doubletap!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Congratz EarthDog. It's one tank of a knife.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

Yes, I just ordered a Manix 2 xl myself, and I also had this one in the cart a couple of times. Here is why I bought it, 1. always hated that I missed out on the original Manix, as It was introduced before I got back into Spyderco 2. Love the Manix design and smooth opening 3. I am a large knife guy, I guess growing up watching the old Jim Bowie tv show, did it! 4. The 2xl is made in America, something I am concentrating more on 5. I was able to get it for under a century note. 6. Becuase the Yojimbo 2 is like big foot, here alot about it, but can't seem to find or see one!
cckw

Post by cckw »

I am just so-so on the Manix2 but really like the XL. I hope to see the XL in a cool sprint sometime.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

docwatson wrote:Yes, I just ordered a Manix 2 xl myself, and ... 4. The 2xl is made in America, something I am concentrating more on 5. I was able to get it for under a century note. ...!
That's great, doc. I'm wondering if the value has shifted toward American-made. Sure hope so. :)
EarthDog
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

cckw wrote: I hope to see the XL in a cool sprint sometime.
Me too (CPM-M4), or 2(CPM-3V) or 3(Elmax) or 4(CPM-S90V)...