Thinking of selling a few knives.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fuzzydog

Thinking of selling a few knives.....

Post by fuzzydog »

Can someone suggest to me the best website to try to sell/trade a few of my knives?

I will probably regret ever parting with any of them but if my wife ever figures out how many knives I have I might regret that more!
Sht

Post by Sht »

I'd post on some of the other knife forums & there's always eBay. Just don't sell anything you would have trouble replacing.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

Jerzee Devils is an awesome site and if you FIRST post an introduction, they allow you to post knives for sale. Lots of enthusiasts that would appreciate your collection
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like cpf marketplace. Great place to find non-knives too :) .
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'm currently selling some on Bladeforums for the first time. You need the $25 annual Gold membership to sell but it's well worth it to avoid ebay fees. I listed ten knives yesterday and have sold five of them so far. I priced them at a discount off the latest ebay sales.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It might take a little longer to sell, but knife-bst is free. It doesn't have nearly the traffic that bladeforums or eBay do, but you get to keep more of your money (no paid membership required and no selling fees).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

crankitup wrote:Jerzee Devils is an awesome site and if you FIRST post an introduction, they allow you to post knives for sale. Lots of enthusiasts that would appreciate your collection
Agreed. Look around the site while you're there too. :)
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jabba359 wrote:It might take a little longer to sell, but knife-bst is free. It doesn't have nearly the traffic that bladeforums or eBay do, but you get to keep more of your money (no paid membership required and no selling fees).
Yup itis a great site.
On the hunt for...
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Blade Forums or USN, but both come with stipulations before you can sell on either forum. Personally, I have been selling on Amazon. I already have an account and the fee is minimal.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Amazon is every bit as expensive as Ebay http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... Id=1161240
Alchemy1 wrote:Blade Forums or USN, but both come with stipulations before you can sell on either forum. Personally, I have been selling on Amazon. I already have an account and the fee is minimal.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I do a lot of buying and selling on EDC forums and have had some pretty good luck there.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've sold several knives on eBay in the past year. You do have to pay a fee but given the fact that I don't know anyone who wants to buy knives it's worth the fees IMO. I've also traded a few on blade forums and that is really cool. Doesn't cost anything. I got what I wanted and the other person got what he wanted. The price in knives may vary a little but it's nice to do when you don't have money but have a knife you don't use or want and can trade it for one you want. AFAIC a knife that I don't use is money sitting there not being used (right now).

Anyway, you want to reduce the number of knives you have. Since I don't need any safe queens and I'm not a collector my choices were easy. I let go of what I didn't use. I even sold a Stretch ZDP-189 (blue) because I didn't carry it. I don't even know why I didn't carry it. It is a great knife and I liked the blue handle. I always just grabbed something else. Deciding what to let go of can be the hardest part.

The thing about the fees IMO is this. Would you set up a system allowing others to sell unwanted items around the house or start a business from home and not charge anything? Ebay helps people far more than any fees we have paid. If it wasn't for eBay I would still have all those knives. Wait, I changed my mind. I hate eBay. :D Kidding. The money I got from knives I didn't use got me knives I have now that I love. The result of buying then selling and trading has given be a handful of knives that I really really like. I have a Sage4 coming tomorrow and that will be my last knife purchase. :( I won't buy any more knives, ever. :( That makes me sad. I will stay sad until I get another knife. :)

Jack
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Be aware that eBay can withhold your payment for up to 3 weeks if you don't already have some arbitrary number of sales. Even if you have 100% feedback buying and selling over 13 years. Then they take 9% plus any listing fees. Plus any paypal fees too.

I would use jerzeedevil, knife-bst, and/or cpfmarketplace for no-fee, hassle free selling.
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gbelleh wrote:Be aware that eBay can withhold your payment for up to 3 weeks if you don't already have some arbitrary number of sales. Even if you have 100% feedback buying and selling over 13 years. Then they take 9% plus any listing fees. Plus any paypal fees too.

I would use jerzeedevil, knife-bst, and/or cpfmarketplace for no-fee, hassle free selling.
That is true. They will hold it at least for 3 days after delivery of the item you sell and up to 21 days. This is a fairly new policy.

Jack
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Same here. Scared to sell online and get ripped off or have someone say that they did not recieve my knife. I think that is avoided by mail conformation and insurance?? Jerzee devil sounds best/good?
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

aidansdaddy17 wrote:I have a Sage 3 in awesome condition, barely used. And I just bought a Bradley Alias II that has a sticky framelock on it that is hard to press down. It is in great shape. Not used, just pocket carried. I had it for a day. It has the blue handles too. I know they are hard to find.(AliasII)

The only thing you left out was the price dude. Selling even hinting at selling such as I see in your post, is not allowed in this forum.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Sorry, I didn't know that. I barely post on here. Just read. I'm not trying to sell on here. Just posting what I have or want to sell on a good website. Looks like jerzee devils is about the best/nicest place to sell? Or am I going to get hit in the head outside my door now that I wrote any of this on here? ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

aidansdaddy17 wrote:Same here. Scared to sell online and get ripped off or have someone say that they did not recieve my knife. I think that is avoided by mail conformation and insurance?? Jerzee devil sounds best/good?
I think your hesitation is justified. Maybe I've been lucky but I've had nothing but good/great things happen to me with the selling and trading I've done. With eBay they have practices in place that protect both buyer and seller. But when trading or selling to a person direct you are at the mercy of their honesty. And, they are at the mercy of yours. I've agreed with people to trade their knife for mine. We have put them in the mail at the same time and when I got what they sent I've been happy and so have they with what I sent. I believe that comes from the long lost feeling of "brotherhood" among people who share the same hobby or passion. But, maybe I've been lucky. The first time I traded a knife my wife strongly suggested that I not mail mine until I got the other guy's knife. I decided to err on the side of trusting and wasn't disappointed. Sometimes I get the impression my wife thinks she has been cheated in life more than others. She may have a point. She is married to me after all. :o :)

Jack
kawr

Post by kawr »

From my experience bladeforums is by far the best to sell on even with the $25 membership fee. BF has the highest traffic and you are able sell at a higher price compared to other sites like JD. I always end up having to sell at a steeper discount on JD because they just have much less traffic. You end up recouping the gold membership after a few sales. Ebay is the worst...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With ANY sale there is a chance you can get ripped off. With eBay you just have another layer of protection.

I play the odds and have been lucky so far. Percentage wise you're still way better off than gambling in Vegas. :p