Para 2 passion .... why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRH

Para 2 passion .... why?

Post by DRH »

Everyone here seems so helpful that I was hoping to get some solid reasons why there is so much passion for the Para 2 (without starting a bitter debate!). Don't get me wrong, I have a Para 2 and like it. I just don't understand the passion. What does the Para 2 do so much better than any of the other Spydies? Or maybe a better question would be what do you use it for that makes it better than others. For instance, for blade length, approximate size weight, lock type and grind ... what makes it so much better than a SuperLeaf? I just placed both in my hands and the only major difference to me (other than the blade shape) was that the Para 2's compression lock was a little smoother and accessible than the SuperLeaf. For smoothness of opening, I find my Sage 1 far smoother ... but it does have a smaller blade. For overall use in an EDC mode, I find I prefer the my Manix 2 or Gayle Bradley as both feel better in my hand, can handle a variety of tasks, and I find I can reach into my pocket easier with either of these in there than the Para 2 (mine is the standard G10 model). If I had to pick only one of my Spydies over all the others ... it would be a hard task. However, I would lean toward the Perrin PPT (I personally like a heavier knife that fills my hand. Granted, I have only been super interested in and collecting knives since this past December. But in that short time, have acquired 18 Spydies, as well as a number of others from the likes of Kershaw/ZT (including the new ZT 0560), Benchmade, and Cold Steel. All of them have very nice qualities (or I wouldn't have purchased them). But I can't think of a single one which would warrant the kind of passion I have seen here regarding the Para 2. Anyway, I don't want to ruffle the feathers of those who hold dear their Para 2s ... but I just spent a whole chunk of time searching through the volumes of Para 2 posts and couldn't find an answer to satisfy my curiosity.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Pass the popcorn..
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

All that I can say is that the Para 2 is a great knife!

Excellent handle ergonomics, a great blade shape with a full flat grind and great cutting power.

Plus the 4-way pocket clip mounting gives it less of an excuse for someone to say that they can't carry it because it is set-up wrong for them.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, as your own experience indicates, liking a certain knife is personal, and purely subjective.

For me, the Para 2 is one of those rare things that all comes together just right, and is greater than the sum of its parts. There are other knives with a similar blade length, blade shape, blade width, handle material, overall length, lock type, etc. But, the Para 2 manages to combine all of those features into something special. It seems as though it were molded to fit my hand. It looks right to me aesthetically. The lock is silky smooth and intuitive to operate. It carries well in the pocket, and cuts like a laser. All this adds up to the closest thing to EDC perfection that I've ever experienced to date. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't use and enjoy other knives too.

Finding something so ideal, will create passion in those who find it.

If your subjective experience is different, that's completely valid too.
:bug-red-white
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

here's your popcorn 357.......I am curious to see the results as well.

I have been aquiring too many knives myself and not enough use to answer this. not enough actual work time with my knives.

I will disagree with the comment about the manix2 leaving it easier to access the pocket over the PM2 though. The manix 2 takes up more room and is wider, leaving less access to the pocket.
I like the size and comfort of the PM2 along with the compression lock. I think its a great knife for any use. However I do feel that the manix 2 is a harder working knife. A few weeks ago at work I had to cut some live branches off a bush and decided to trim the branches/stems to make a stick. The M4 manix did it much easier than my M390 PM2. Not sure why, but the Manix 2 seemed to have done a much better, easier, smoother job with less effort.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Seven

Post by Seven »

I just got my first para 2 last saturday, and I cant stop carrying it, its extremely comfortable and a joy to own, I understand the passion, it just seems like it was designed with peoples wants and needs in mind.
______
Eric.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hear DRH. I've shied away from a Para myself for different reasons. I don't particularly want more S30V, and I already have a nice Blue ZDP Stretch, and have reprofiled the FFG Delica and Urban to very very sharp today :)

I'd like to try a Para, but I already have enough models that fit it's niche. One of the sprint runs in M390 or XHP would be interesting, but at this time they're unaffordable for me.

I'm still smiling though :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just as with cars, dogs, and women, different knives appeal to different people. Putting a finger on the "why" would probably be as difficult as understanding what someone else sees in a woman you consider unattractive. I know my tastes in knives are in the minority here. Many of the Spydercos I've felt were extremely well suited to my tastes and needs have not appealed to enough others to stay in the lineup. While neither the Paramilitary or the Superleaf appeal to me, there are those who find one, or the other, of them ideal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I like my PM2 (m390) cause it looks sleek, Its very ergonomic, smooth as butter, can be flicked open in many ways, rides my pocket nicely, has near perfect F&F, Most of all, the M390. I think I would potentially like my PPT more if the para were s30v. I cant really choose a favorite from the two. Though< i will say, I almost bought a custom ppt from Sacha Theil and I am still contemplating it
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I bought one because of all the hype. It was too big for me. It was in the house two days. For me the Native 5 is the keeper.
DRH

Post by DRH »

I have a feeling that Paul's reply is probably right on. I just couldn't help thinking that maybe I was missing something and that there was something that the Para 2 just did so much better than any other Spyderco that it was elevated to a passion level. Lots of these "why" type questions will, I guess, always remain a mystery to some. Much like the Mac vs PC debate. There are Mac zealots out there as well as PC zealots. Personally, I switched to Mac back in 1986 and it is all that have in my home. Not saying that I didn't use PCs over the years, but for my personal use, it's a Mac. In my case, I can quantify the reasons I prefer the Mac over the PC. I thought that in this case, I really was missing something. Like I said, I don't want people rolling their eyes back in their heads and mumbling "here we go again" .... we can just end it here with it's just one of those things that is difficult to explain.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

While likes and opinions are no doubt subjective it's fact that Para 2 has a HUGE following so there are reasons and (for me)

-approx 3" blade length which seems to be a magic # with many
-Good blade shape with a great belly
-Good handle size & ergos. I don't like 3 finger knives with 4" blades!
-An industrial strength/unique lock not found on millions of dimestore folders.
-Enough variants to keep 'em buying
-Cool name - yeah that means something to marketing in the very least.
-Made in the USA
-Priced affordable
-Momentum
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Thing is, every knife that Spyderco have in their line is a better knife than most we had forty years ago.
Second thing is we are spoiled for choice & really do not need so many knives of so many shapes & sizes. But it is nice.
Give any Spyderco blade to a poor person who has none & it will be the best knife they ever had even if they are left handed & the lock is right.
My grandfather used to say, "some folk would starve with a loaf of bread under one arm & a pound of sausages under the other".
For whatever reason, too lazy to cook the sausages or don't eat bread.
OP. dont take this as a personal insult, just saying is all.
O.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not perfect but hard to fault. It also has a loved lock and g10 scales making it snobby and mainstream at the same time.

There aren't many who ask this question either. That makes many want to join the party without considering asking, "Why the best?"
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I can't seem to get all of my Para 2's this smooth, but my M390 para 2 is so smooth that I can open and close it by disengaging the lock and tilting my hand. I can't think of any of my other Spyderco's that can do that. This is not the "reason" I currently have, not counting pre-orders, 4, but I think it is something unique to this knife/model.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
Sht

Post by Sht »

It's behind my milie, GB, & manix 2. But I can also see why some many people like it a great all-rounder. Also it dosnt hurt there a new sprint every few months.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's just the closest i've found to what i really want in an EDC folder. There are definitely a few things i'd change if i had the say so to, but for the most part it just works. Another big part for me is that i EDC'd the original Paramilitary for quite a while before the Para 2 came along, so i'm very familiar with the lock and ergonomics so using it has become second nature. I've found that even carrying a back lock, i almost always look for the compression lock with my index finger trying to close it even though i spent most of my life with back locks. The overall size of the knife is about perfect for my hand too. I've found that some knives can be a little on the small side which for me can be a little fumbly when opening and closing them. I also love the larger than average hole because i wear gloves a lot at work so it makes it easier to open. Lastly and certainly not least, it doesn't hurt that Spyderco has blessed it with some of the best steel options available.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I love my Para's. They seem to have everything one could want in a knive. Good size and ergonomics, great steel, the fantistic compression lock, light, strong, a good all purpose, and defensive knife. Also easily cleaned and maintained. For me a truly classic knife. Will one folder fit all needs? No, but this one certainly comes close. Only wish I was able to get the S90v when it was readily available. As much as I love my other Spydies, the Para 2 certainly ranks near the top. Thanks Spyderco and all that make this knife possible. Can't wait for the orange and green.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I like 'em. I collect 'em. I use 'em.

I also have a whole lotta other knives I like. But I keep coming back to my Paras. For my money, they are the best production knife out there.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I loved the original Para but the handle was too small for me. Love the Para2 for most of the reasons given. Ergos, 3.5" blade, compression lock, ...

The one thing I would add is the that the ubiquitous Military serves to make this smaller version - dare I say it - cute.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897