Para 2 passion .... why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sequimite wrote:I loved the original Para but the handle was too small for me. Love the Para2 for most of the reasons given. Ergos, 3.5" blade, compression lock, ...

The one thing I would add is the that the ubiquitous Military serves to make this smaller version - dare I say it - cute.
That's funny because i've gone to the knife shop twice now planning on buying a Military, and both times i bought a Para 2 instead. I found that aside from ~.5 inches of blade, the only thing bigger on the Military is the handle which doesn't really win me over. Compared to the original Para, i'd agree, but it seems to me that the "downsized Military" has grown into it's own knife. I only hope that with the Military 2, they work their magic on it and squeeze out another half inch of blade like they did with the Para 2 to justify that gigantic handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have two of the Paramilitary's and I like them for their razor edge and piercing ability. The only complaint I have is with the compression lock. Sometimes when I open it and the compression lock engages it pinches the heck out of my hand or maybe it's more of a slap than pinch. Has anyone else experienced this. Anyway I wish they would make it in liner lock and back lock versions.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The only complaint I have is with the compression lock. Sometimes when I open it and the compression lock engages it pinches the heck out of my hand
I've been pinched, but my Pavlovian reflexes quickly altered my grip so that it is still my favorite lock.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The way I hold it, the Para 2 doesn't really pinch me. But the original Yojimbo pinches the heck out of my hand almost every time.
:bug-red-white
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Why not?

Now, granted, there was a time I wouldn't give the original Spyderco Para-Military a second look... I felt it was a smaller or "junior" version of the Spyderco Military. Then one day I decided to just get a Para-Military for the heck of it. Let me say the Para-Military ISN'T a smaller or junior Military... it's a knife all in its own! The only real issue I found with the Para-Military was that the blade for such a knife was just a tab too short.

Then comes the Spyderco Para-Military2, and the first thing I noticed is its slightly longer blade length. Yes, there were other improvements, but that little extra length added to the blade made all the difference.

I still like my original Para-Militarys a lot; however, the extra blade length of the Para-Military2 makes it an even bigger winner!

And, yes, my Para-Military and Para-Military2 pinch me as well. I've learn over time to simply hold these knives slightly different so they don't pinch. I'm actually more concerned about achieving a solid lockup versus getting pinched.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

IMO the Para2 has everything most $300+ customs have and seems to me the perfect fit for my hand.
Cuts great - very solid - tight tolerances - smooth action - quality parts - made and mfg. in the USA - and a reasonable price point from the on-line dealers. And it doesn't hurt that it's a Spydie!
A tad big for my day to day business attire - but I really couldn't ask for more. Caly 3 handles that.(soon to be Caly 3 Damascus :D & the flipper)

Just the best bang for the buck out there right now IMO if your looking for a folder of that size.
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Interesting. For me, the handle's too blocky, and it doesn't fit right at all. The endura seems a lot better in my eyes. But other than that, it's a great knife, except the ergos... seems like I'm swimming upriver.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

For me personally, I have owned many knives over the years from many brands. Some I cannot even remember. My first favorite knives that I discovered when I was around 12 years old just happened to be Spydero. I read an article in Knives Illustrated. The writer of the article was some guy who was some "operator" who loved his serrated Endura. I soon bought a Delica, fully serrated. Then, I just had to have the Endura. I've owned folders from Benchmade, Cold Steel, Gil Hibben (yes, really), Buck, Kershaw, "Zero Tolerance". I've owned autos from Benchmade, Microtech, Pro-Tech. I keep coming back to Spyderco and selling the others for some reason. I honestly, only own TWO knives now. A Para Military 2 and a Pacific Salt. I just don't feel the need for others. Here lately, the Para 2 gets the most carry and use. It's lightweight and thin enough for even khaki shorts. The lockup is solid. The fit and finish are excellent. The blade cuts whatever I put in front of it. The price was at the point that I don't worry about using it, or losing it. I'd buy another without flinching. It's my "ideal" knife all around. It fits my hand, is balanced well in the hand and like a Glock pistol just works. Something about this knife just makes me happy. :D
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

My Para 2 was like Goldilocks....Not too big, not too small, just right. Love the ergonomics, the blade shape and size, the way that it fits in my pocket...the sage 2 is an incredible work of art, but seemed to be too small, the Military is a great working knife, but I found it too big to EDC. The para 2 just covers the bases.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

My 2 cents. I am going to echo some of the thoughts of guys who like the improvements over the PM1. I think these CQI refinements have a ton to do with the love for the PM2. I know many guys like the PM1, but frankly, I did not like it at all. I did not like the short blade to handle ratio, did not like how the blade stuck out when closed if carrying tip down, etc. When I read about the refinements, I was just reading to read - not to get interested, but they all made so much sense to me that I thought "I have to try this knife now". I love the PM2 for size, comp lock, and the fact that it is so refined a design. I do think that a lot of the love for it is that its like the thing that gets better with age - its more refined and a better knife for it. Going through the "growing pains" it has I think has made people appreciate it more and made it more legendary than if the PM2 came out without the PM1 before it. At least thats my explanation for it.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Pneumothorax wrote:My 2 cents. I am going to echo some of the thoughts of guys who like the improvements over the PM1. I think these CQI refinements have a ton to do with the love for the PM2. I know many guys like the PM1, but frankly, I did not like it at all. I did not like the short blade to handle ratio, did not like how the blade stuck out when closed if carrying tip down, etc. When I read about the refinements, I was just reading to read - not to get interested, but they all made so much sense to me that I thought "I have to try this knife now". I love the PM2 for size, comp lock, and the fact that it is so refined a design. I do think that a lot of the love for it is that its like the thing that gets better with age - its more refined and a better knife for it. Going through the "growing pains" it has I think has made people appreciate it more and made it more legendary than if the PM2 came out without the PM1 before it. At least thats my explanation for it.
This is a good point. I desperately tried to like the Para1, and carried one for a few months. It was so close to being great, but it had some annoying issues. When the Para 2 was announced, every single issue was resolved. That refinement does make it extra special, and appreciated.
:bug-red-white
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

It and the Military are both very usable with light gloves on.

Easy to clean flow through construction
Smooth pivot
Strong lock
Incredible ergonomics in hand
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

On my part, I dont like all the models that Spyderco puts out and am not an ardent collector. However, I do like certain versions of the Spyderco line up like the Para2, PPT and Military to name a few.

The Para2 remains the best knife for me in this category just due to it's design. Cant find any faults with this knife at all. Also, the compression lock coupled with this particular blade for me offers many ways to open the knife which translates in to a lot of enjoyment in using this knife.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

There is a lot to like about the Para 2, for it's price I doubt a general user looking for a 3.5 inch blade could go wrong. Personally, I'm not wild about the choil (I'd prefer more cutting edge) and I perceive the pointy end to be too delicate. As such, whilst my standard PM2 gets carried every few months for a few days, there are other knives of this size that I gravitate back to. Put a Ritter Grip blade on this thing and I'd have every colour and every blade steel variant that came out.
brj

Post by brj »

Besides the features that have added intrinsec value, I think Para2 instantly appealed to those who have owned, tried to like, but never managed to, the Para1. IMO, the customer base was already there, Spyderco just needed to come up with the design improvements over the original version, which they did (and, while at it, they did it in big style).

The original has of course its merits and a lot of people here (myself included) still give it plenty pocket time, but the 2 has managed to make available to customers on a wider scale the characteristics that made the Military/Paramilitary line such a huge winner. IMO/YMMV
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i can see why the para works for alot of people and im not knocking it at all, the comp lock, the handle, the blade shape, everthing thing about it screams a great knife....

its just not for me.

give me a foundation Delica any day!!!!!!! with Spyderco Seki City Roots