One Spyderco for life

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Igi964

One Spyderco for life

Post by Igi964 »

I was bitten 6 months ago. I'm a knife user, not a collector. I bought and sold several spydies, but I'm still looking for the perfect one. It is an expensive addiction, so I have to stop it. The next one I buy will be my LAST! I have two favourites: blue M390 Paramilitary2 or brown XHP Military. They are about the same price, both super steel and both legendary EDC. I prefer larger blades, both are legal in my coutry. I had a S30V Para2 and I love it, but I want something more special for the rest of my life. I never handle Military, but this knife is even more legendary and the ergonomics are about the same. The brown XHP version looks great, I also like the only one carry option. This would be very hard to decide.
Does anyone have any of these knives? Wich one do you prefer? And please don't write "get both",because I can't.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

ill be the first to say youre lying to yourself saying itll be your last purchase, goodluck with that especially the fact that you are a member to this forum.

to give you my opinion though i would cary the para, i like the liner lock on the military for right handed use but the smaller sized para is better for MY pocket rather than the HUGE military. If they had a baby......... lol

if you like the larger blade and its legal get the Military, you wont regret it at all, in fact the CF military i gave away to my cousin in irag was the smoothest most trusted knife ive had my hands on. just the huge size killed it for my edc.

btw i carry a dinky Delica
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Have fun attempting to stop ;)

if I could have 1 spyderco for my life. Would be M390 Para.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I got the Para2 first. Felt it as perfect. When I got the Military and used it for some time, I felt that the Para2 is lacking in reach and heft (which is understandable due to the two sizes).

I personally prefer the Para2 over many of the knives. If I have to rank, it will be the Para2 first, Perrin PPT as second and the Military as third (though by no means the last).

On the Military, I explained my views on another thread. If you can afford it, go for the Titanium one or the fluted titanium version. Since you will only keep one Spyderco, the Reaves Integral Lock (RIL) on the Ti version seems a better option for me to recommend.

They are both excellent knives.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Igi964 wrote: The next one I buy will be my LAST!
Hehehe, hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa, hohohoooooooheha, ohhhhhhh he ha,
hehahay, yayahehohahahaaaaaaaaa, hohohohahahaheheheheh
ohmymy ohhellyes honeyputonthatpartydress
buymeadrink singmeasong takemeasicome causeIcantstaylong

Seriously, good luck with that one. If you pull it off, write a book.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

Yeah, I believe you....last knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Igi964 wrote:The next one I buy will be my LAST!
Ye, right. :)
Between this two models I prefer Para2. 3.5" is the perfect blade size for me and Military is little too big. But if you like bigger knives, Military will be perfect for you (until they make Military in better steel :) ).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

Go with the Milli. I find it's easier to do small jobs with a big knife then big jobs with a small knife. Plus the brown will hold up better over time. Good luck on just one.. (Get the Tuff)
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Igi964 wrote:I was bitten 6 months ago. I'm a knife user, not a collector. I bought and sold several spydies, but I'm still looking for the perfect one. It is an expensive addiction, so I have to stop it. The next one I buy will be my LAST! I have two favourites: blue M390 Paramilitary2 or brown XHP Military. They are about the same price, both super steel and both legendary EDC. I prefer larger blades, both are legal in my coutry. I had a S30V Para2 and I love it, but I want something more special for the rest of my life. I never handle Military, but this knife is even more legendary and the ergonomics are about the same. The brown XHP version looks great, I also like the only one carry option. This would be very hard to decide.
Does anyone have any of these knives? Wich one do you prefer? And please don't write "get both",because I can't.
I have never owned either of the ones you are considering but I have held a para2 and it felt good in my hand.

But, if you haven't ever owned a Gayle Bradley I think you shoule at least consider it. I would say just buy it but it's not my money or knife. You will have one of the larger Spydercos, it is about as strudy as they come, it's a beautiful knife and it has a CPM-M4 steel blade. I think it fits your desires except it isn't one of your choices but IMO it really should be.

Jack
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Most people know what is good when they see it & most people who see my Millies can tell that, now that IS a Knife.
I think Millie.
O.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

Out of the options discussed, or really any Spyderco, I think the Gayle Bradley is the "one," if you really want to have just one. In the end, blade size and carry size are important considerations. The Sage 1 is the "one" for many, and it's a little smaller. For many others, it's the Para2 or the Military. For me, the Military is just a little too large for every day. A larger blade can be cumbersome for urban carry and a little too aggressive to whip out to open a box of artificial sweetener in the work break room. I find the Sage 1 to be a nice, reasonable EDC. But the Gayle Bradley is about as close to the perfect folder as has ever been made. You can't go wrong with any of these three: Sage (1,2,3,4), Para 2, Gayle Bradley.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I know I'm repeating myself. Maybe I am suffering from the onset of alzheimers or the GB is one of my favorite knives. I really think you would be happy with it. I also think it may be less expensive than some of the sprint run or limited para2 knives with one of the super steels. The M4 steel is really a great all around steel IMO. It holds an edge VERY well and I haven't had any problem with it chipping even with a low angle edge (28 degrees inclusive at the edge). I have it steeper now but at that angle I had no problems.

Jack
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Perish the thought of a LAST knife, but if you must, I say go for the Millie. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one, but I love the Millie! The Millie feels great in the hand and it is the knife that I EDC the most. I just love that big a$$ blade, it says come one and come all to all your cutting tasks. Awesome knife!

Good luck in your decision and your quest for the LAST knife.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

PM2 M390

Great steel, great size, great lock
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

One more time and I'll shut up. The GB being one of my favorites, along with the Sage1 and Chaparral came from about 5 - 6 years of buying/selling/trading knives (mainly Spyderco). That left me with 4 favorites. Gayle Bradley, Sage1, Chaparral and Manix2 with M4 blade. I just wanted to add that to show that I didn't buy one knife (Gayle Bradley) and call it my favorite. It came from using several different knives with different steel, ergos, etc. Now, my experience with different models is very limited to some of the folks here so I'd listen to them possibley more than me. :D

If I haven't convinced you that I like the GB then I never will. :) Good luck with your choice.

Jack
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey Jack, if you had to pick between the Native and lets say….oh… the Gail Bradley,
which would you pick and also which would you recommend. Just checkin.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BAL wrote:Hey Jack, if you had to pick between the Native and lets say….oh… the Gail Bradley,
which would you pick and also which would you recommend. Just checkin.
Let me see... I think... GERBER. :D

Although the Native is a wonderful creature as well. :D

I'd probably have to flip a coin. Heads GB wins, tails Native looses. :)

Jack
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I LOVE the Para2, but if you are going to have just one, it has to be the Military. Due to its light weight it handles better for light tight tasks better than other 4" blades. And if you really like the brown, that is an important difference because it translates to extra daily enjoyment of the knife. And, as SCARLETTT has already pointed out, "I find it's easier to do small jobs with a big knife then big jobs with a small knife."
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Slash

Post by Slash »

I don't think I can live with just one. I'll go with the m390 military or lionspy. how about 1 for each pocket?
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Thank you all.
Chaparral - too small,ordinary steel,back lock
Sage- the same except the lock
Gayle Bradley- too heavy, short handle for my hands
Military- way too old,if there is a Mili2 with larger screws,pivot bushing system and compresion lock it will be my winner but not now
Paramilitary M390- super steel,beautiful blue G10,great size and ergo,strong lock it is an "out of the park walk off grand slam in last game of world series"