One Spyderco for life

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

BAL wrote:ok Jack, I have a bone to pick with you. You kept going on and on and on about this
Gail Bradley thing so much that just a few minutes a go out of nowhere the next thing
that I knew I found myself on the CS website with the GB highlighted and I was clicking
"buy it". Now the waiting game begins. I'll tell the wife that is was all your fault.
atta boy BAL! GB is a very sexy but solid slab of a knife. If you dont already own a spydie in M4, you are in for a treat! I love it!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I am with you! After I finished reading this thread, I smoked my very last rock of crack. I am so glad to be done with it and buying spydies....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of all the knives i've owned i'd have to say it's my latest, the 20CP Para 2. There's a few things i'd change about the Para 2 for it to be my last purchase ever, but so far it comes mighty close.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BAL

Post by BAL »

rg02 wrote:atta boy BAL! GB is a very sexy but solid slab of a knife. If you dont already own a spydie in M4, you are in for a treat! I love it!
well ok then I'll add rg02 to the same name blame game.
zippy2001

Post by zippy2001 »

I love the PM2 especially in blue. Of course i haven't owned the Military yet, so i can't say which is better.
I do like the weight, ergonomics, steel and color.
Of course i couldn't live with just one, which is why i have 30 Spydercos.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Meh, 1 for life? I mean, technically you can live a whole life on chicken salad, vitamins and water. But... ;)
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

I have a hard time sticking to one spyderco knife per month, let alone one for life...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Sounds like you have already made up your mind the answer to your own question.
Too right Snoo.
A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.
O.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Sage CF
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Military would be my choice unless I was left handed. Cheers.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

APS wrote:Between the para2 and mil that you listes I would prefer the para2 b/c I like the compression lock over a liner.
I have the Para2 in 20CP and the Manix2 in CPM M4. The Manix is built like a rock, but I don't carry it. A bit too massive unless I need to chop down a forest. I really prefer the blade shape of the GB; a classy knife.
Of the two you list above, I'd take the Para2 in M390. Better blade steel and the compression lock is very nice. No complaints about a liner lock, although some folks are having trouble, apparently, with the GB. I have a new BM 755 MPR (liner-lock) which had a real bad binding problem with the titanium liner lock and the blade steel, or the liner lock binding with the G10, although BenchMade is making it right as I post this. I didn't take it apart as it's new and I didn't want to void the warranty. I have no problem with Spydie or BM customer service; high marks for both. Free sharpening for life if you wish. (Might cost you $5)
Sonny
dialex

Post by dialex »

Igi964 wrote:...The next one I buy will be my LAST! ...
Yeah, right! :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BAL wrote:ok Jack, I have a bone to pick with you. You kept going on and on and on about this
Gail Bradley thing so much that just a few minutes a go out of nowhere the next thing
that I knew I found myself on the CS website with the GB highlighted and I was clicking
"buy it". Now the waiting game begins. I'll tell the wife that is was all your fault.
Dang, Bal. I already have one wife to worry about. Now I will be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life looking for yours sneaking up on me (with a baseball bat). :)

I hope you like the GB as much as I do. I don't know what you are planning on using it for but I fear you have a delima coming your way. IMO it's strong enough to handle any chore you would ever put a folding knife up against. It's also beautiful enough to carry to the fanciest social get-to-gether. If you baby it to keep it pretty you'll have the feeling you aren't using it up to it's capability. But if you use it for the hard work it is able to do you might get a little dirt on it. :D

The GB is very easy to clean. The open back makes getting any dirt that gets in there out. The waser (or bushing) between the tang and liners create a tiny space between the liner and tang. I use a Tuf-Cloth to slide in there to clean and lube around the pivot. AND, I know it voids the warranty but the GB is very easy to take apart and put back together perfectly. I've taken mine apart a couple of times. I wanted to do this since I got the Manix2 with M4. I was worried about corrosion since M4 isn't a stainless steel. I have taken both of them apart and wiped down the metal parts, especially the blade tang with Tuf-Glide. This way I know I have done all I can to prevent corrosion, even in the places that are harder to get to. I'm planning doing this every 6 months or so on both knives. I believe that taking them apart is NOT necessary but I like to see things in parts and pieces to help me understand how they work. I really liked seeing the BBL in the Manix2 without one scale and liner. Now I can see why it is such a strong lock. The last time I took the GB apart I did it only as a scheduled maint. type of thing. This goes against my theory of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" but it goes back together so easy and is designed so well it's hard to mess it up during reassembly IMO. It was clean and working perfectly and smooth. When I got it back together after wiping all parts off and lubing them it was even smoother feeling. It is already one of the smoothest knives I've used. Right up there with the Sage1. That reminds me. I ordered a Sage4 a couple days ago and it should be here Monday. I hope I end up praising that knife as much as the GB so you better start saving up. :D

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Igi964 wrote: The next one I buy will be my LAST!
dialex wrote:Yeah, right! :rolleyes:
Take it easy on the guy dialex. :) I may be wrong but something tells me you may have said the same words once or twice. I know I have. In fact, I ordered a knife the other day and that one is definately my last. :rolleyes: Then again, maybe you know yourself better than the rest of us know ourselves, thus refrain from making rediculous statements. :D

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Sonny wrote:Better blade steel
Not sure that I would say that....M390 has better edge retention yes. But does that make it better? I like M4 because it has edge retention that is exceptionally good, and depending on heat treat could be nearly the same as M390, but it is a tougher steel. And I will trade a bit of edge retention to get something that won't chip quiet as easily.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Not sure that I would say that....M390 has better edge retention yes. But does that make it better? I like M4 because it has edge retention that is exceptionally good, and depending on heat treat could be nearly the same as M390, but it is a tougher steel. And I will trade a bit of edge retention to get something that won't chip quiet as easily.
I have never used M390 but will agree with deathby in that toughness is VERY desirable. I've had blades that were prone to chipping when sharpened at low angles. I have had M4 at pretty low angles and haven't noticed any chipping yet. Sure the edge will dull with use but holds the edge as well or better than anything i've used (my experience is limited) without any chipping. That sums up why one of my favorites is M4. Another steel that I have exactly the same feeling about is CPM-S30V. Some have had chipping issues with it in the past but for me it has performed great for my uses. Anyway, one person's favorite or feeling about knife steel seems to be as varied as someone's feeling about different knives.

Jack
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Military would be my choice unless I was left handed. Cheers.
I thought that I had seen left handed Military's before?...do they not make them anymore?
Igi964

The ONE has come

Post by Igi964 »

My long-awaited M390 Paramilitary2 in blue G10. I loved my S30V Para2, but this one is comletely different animal. The M390 super steel is easy to sharpen and is able to hold 30 degree scary sharp edge. The blue G10 looks amazing, fit and finish is perfect. Its the smoothest knife I´ve ever had. For $200 it is a bargain.
Attachments
m390 Para.JPG
Mystro

Post by Mystro »

Image ='sImage
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Last knife EVER!!!
BIG Statement - I guess the first step is admitting that you have a problem. :rolleyes:
I feel your pain - but that aint gonna happen :)

One will come along and pull hard at your heart and purse - and you'll find the monies.
(Caly Damascus & tha Flipper - gotta haves for me now)

Duck Calls - Glocks - Shotguns - and Knives!!!
All I know is - my son better be smart, cause i've got waayyyy too many collections going on for a high dollar edumication - haha

oh yeah - Para2
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"