Couldn't live without my yellow Salt I

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Couldn't live without my yellow Salt I

Post by flash900 »

Well, not literally. But after carrying it for six months as my main pocket EDC, I gave it to a friend who fishes.

Figured I would get by on my black Salt I. Black is my favorite color, after all.

Couldn't do it. Three days later, I ordered another yellow.

These puppies are so thin and light you hardly know they're there. Started carrying it when the weather turned bad and never stopped.

Tried replacing it for pocket duty with a small Buck Vantage Pro, Kershaw Skyline, and even my beloved CF Cat.

They're all great folders and I wouldn't be without any of them. But in the pocket, the Salt rules when it comes to thin and light and not worrying about weather conditions.

Nice ti clip, a wider blade and Spydie hole than the Delica. Great rust resistance. Carry it while walking the dogs in the rain, snow or awful humidity. Ha -- the Salt laughs at bad weather.

I even like the semi-rounded tip for pocket-carrying.

Hey, Salts are for everyone -- you don't have to fish or be a sailor.

And a nice, friendly yellow to boot.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Congrats on your purchase, flash900. I've been wanting to buy a Salt serrated for a long time but I still can't decide which color yet!!! It would be really useful living up here in the northeast.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Before I ordered my first Salt, I couldn't decide between black or yellow, a handle color I had never owned.

My indecision went on for months, I now admit. I finally resolved the issue by ordering one of both. As I recall, it was the free-shipping at CS that was the deciding factor.

And while I like both colors, I found that it's the yellow that my pocket craves.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Love the yellow Salts! :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Salt 1 is my daily work companion. I often carry the pair of SE and PE Yellow Salts for work. Great knives, period.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

I have and use the yellow salt 1 when I fish and just love it. Do yourselves a favor and put a lanyard on it. several times it saved me from tossing it overboard when I stood up and forgot I left it on my lap....
indie_dave

Post by indie_dave »

agreed -- just gifted a Pacific Salt and Saver Salt to family, and boy do they love it. I get by with PM2, but CRAVING SALT1 for upcoming humid summer
·EDC·ChapparralGBAirPara2LionSpyBalance·Gave:^)·AssistJumpmasterPacificSaltSaverSaltLumTantoDelica·Wish·StarmateSouthforkATRSaltDflyKumoBarongKhukri·LosT_T·Para2Cricket
flash900

Post by flash900 »

araneae wrote:The Salt 1 is my daily work companion. I often carry the pair of SE and PE Yellow Salts for work. Great knives, period.

You carry both! What do you use them for at work?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I had both on me at work today, too. The SE is for opening boxes, cutting flaps off them, and opening whatever gets in my way. The PE is for food (at work).

Here's the PE at play...

- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

flash900 wrote:You carry both! What do you use them for at work?
Well, I work at an arboretum. The SE gets used for rougher jobs, lots of plant material, rope, cardboard, plastic straps. The PE gets used for more average stuff, opening packages, sharpening pencils, opening food wrappers, etc. I have found nothing beats H1 while working in the elements. Mud, rain, dirt are no worry- just wipe the blade off later when you think about it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The_Bart_Man

Post by The_Bart_Man »

I also really love my Yellow Salt 1 PE. I really like the blade shape, gives it a really though tip with lots of metal behind it!
Also really nice carry because it's so thin and light!

The only reason I would like the black above the yellow id because it would be less visible when it sticks out of my pocket.

I have planed to dye the yellow to orange and think of a stonewash for the blade.

All in all it's my nr 1 EDC!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

My replacement yellow Salt I arrived just in time to slip into my pocket before I leave for work on Monday.

I like light-weight folders for pocket-carrying and you can't get much lighter or stronger than a Salt.
bchan

Post by bchan »

flash900 wrote:I like light-weight folders for pocket-carrying and you can't get much lighter or stronger than a Salt.
What he said.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

They are really awesome all-purpose knives. I had a yellow PE that lived in my car and was used for all sorts of random cutting needs until some meth head went and stole it.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared