sprint run on Stretch 2 with leaf shape blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

speedcut wrote:I'll go with Snoo and say that the steel must be Superblue.... ;)
sal wrote:OK, I'll play.

A short Stretch run. We've discussed:

Straight spine / sharp tip FRN
Bolstered version
G-10

Steel would have to come from Japan. (VG-10, ZDP, Super Blue, Takefu Damascus, Cobalt special, ?)

Can we come up with one model?

sal
phillipsted wrote:Count me in!

Definitely Super Blue steel.

How about some burgundy or deep red G10? (I know micarta is too big of a PITA for this type of short run...)

TedP
Blue Super for me!!
iyn

Post by iyn »

sal wrote:OK, I'll play.

A short Stretch run. We've discussed:

Straight spine / sharp tip FRN
Bolstered version
G-10

Steel would have to come from Japan. (VG-10, ZDP, Super Blue, Takefu Damascus, Cobalt special, ?)

Can we come up with one model?

sal
I vote for VG-10, FRN in foliage green color. IMO the great things about the stretch 2 is the light weight and cost of the knife, it's the closest knife to a knife that would fit in between the FFG Delica and endura.
sal

Post by sal »

My leaning would still be an FRN version, different color handle, maybe an odd steel.

I would probably opt for the "new" style tip on the grounds that, as mentioned, you can reshape the tip if you want to, but broken tips were too much of a CS issue. Maybe we can find a custom maker here on the forum that can make the mod for you.

I'm not opposed to a bolstered version, but that would probably keep the current blade shape. An experimental bolstered version or even a G-10 version really jacks up the cost and my concern is extra inventory sitting on a shelf and then being closed out at a loss. I think a bolstered version with damascus blade and polished G-10 could work.

So, I'll propose a Stretch sprint, straight spine, FRN handle with one of the new flat grind Endel colors? Steel could be VG-10, Super Blue, Cobalt special, or?

sal
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Hi Sal. Thanks for keeping this going. How 'bout the straight spine blade w/ Super Blue steel and white FRN handle (or the blue FRN if limited to the EnDel colors)?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm always smitten to burgundy. Brown seems another very popular color. A big fan of the FRN handle.

Anything but vg10/zdp189 just to be quirky please :) . Does anyone have experience with Cowry-Y? N00b question.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:confused: How is a straight spine a "leaf shape".
When I think of a leaf, I think Lum Chinese, Sage, Manix, etc. A straight spine Stretch is a short Endura.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
APS

Post by APS »

I'm fine with VG-10!
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

sal wrote:My leaning would still be an FRN version, different color handle, maybe an odd steel.

I would probably opt for the "new" style tip on the grounds that, as mentioned, you can reshape the tip if you want to, but broken tips were too much of a CS issue. Maybe we can find a custom maker here on the forum that can make the mod for you.

I'm not opposed to a bolstered version, but that would probably keep the current blade shape. An experimental bolstered version or even a G-10 version really jacks up the cost and my concern is extra inventory sitting on a shelf and then being closed out at a loss. I think a bolstered version with damascus blade and polished G-10 could work.

So, I'll propose a Stretch sprint, straight spine, FRN handle with one of the new flat grind Endel colors? Steel could be VG-10, Super Blue, Cobalt special, or?

sal
I am still hoping for more Blue Super!!! :D
Splice

Post by Splice »

Sal, I would love to see this in straight spine FRN with VG10 to keep the cost down. Id really enjoy carrying this if the FRN was in flat dark earth as well- a color I'd like to have as an option on more knives
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Love the Stretch the way it is, but I'd still buy one (or more) in a heartbeat.
Repeat after me.... "Hi, my name is Paul.... And I'm a Stretch-a-holic" ;) (nice work up, by the way)

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote: Steel could be VG-10, Super Blue, Cobalt special, or?
Sal, the existing Stretch shape in Super Blue would be an awesome variant, in any handle material (though smooth Micarta or G10 with a wire clip sounds delicious ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

sal wrote: So, I'll propose a Stretch sprint, straight spine, FRN handle with one of the new flat grind Endel colors? Steel could be VG-10, Super Blue, Cobalt special, or?

sal
Super Blue would be great!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No problem with the tip, Sal. As you said, I can always find someone to make one pointier for me to carry. VG-10 would be fine. So would ATS-34, GIN-1, AUS-8, or any other halfway decent steel as long as it's stainless. As for FRN color, I think tan like the OIF/OEF Natives would be superb. Either the brown or the green used on the FFG Delica and Endura would also be good.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Standard blade in SB sounds good to me. My problem with a lot of the FRN colors is that they all end up too bright. I like the old Stretch blue because it isn't gaudy and bright. Can't use BRG cause it's already in use, same with yellow.

All I can say is please make it a subtle color sal.

And I would rather shell out more $ on a nicer bolstered version in SB than just about anything in FRN...
On the hunt for...
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

The blade on the Stretch shown by Mach is perfect! I really want to see the return of more clip point style blades rather than the leaf shape.

I'm thinking the Delica style before the change to the D4. I don't know why I just really don't like the drop in the point on the new one, almost perfect then.. I do see why that was done though, to make the tip stronger, still I think a major reason why I like the Military and ParaMilitary is because of their awesome clip point style blades, perfection!
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Sal,

VG10 is good!
And did someone mention orange?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
maa14

Post by maa14 »

MachSchnell wrote:Super Blue would be great!
Yes it would!!!
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

My preferences in priority order: Super Blue, G10, Preferably original quirky blade shape but a leaf would also do. Not too keen on straight spine out of aesthetic reasons. G10 I'd prefer over FRN only because I've found it more bothersome to cook my own handle slabs on top of FRN liners.
mann0mann

Post by mann0mann »

I would love to see a more traditional blade shape on the stretch, I am one of those ones who just couldn't never really bite on the stretch based on its current blade shape (sheepsfoot/drop point). Going off Sals criteria -

My vote would be straight spine

FRN handle in brown or orange.
(based on the previous offerings of the stretch and the current FFG endel colors - blue, green, black, orange, brown, purple, grey, my take is brown or orange offer the most variation of what's already out there.)

Steel: Super Blue seems to be so well received on the Caly 3.5 or VG10
To me, I would assume you'd have to figure out is this going to be an exotic sprint run or an affordable one. ;-)

The idea of brown FRN with super blue and seeing all those patina blades would be pretty cool. I think it would look very nice together
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

I'd like to see G-10, and black would be fine.
Super Blue steel? Not so sure about that one.
I'm appreciating VG-10 more and more. I've got the ZDP-189 Stretch.
Any available stainless steel would be OK by me.