sprint run on Stretch 2 with leaf shape blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Only suggesting that because I have seen quite a bit of demand for it. Where as I have seen very little to none for a straight spined Stretch.
Also, I suggest the D/E because basically that is the blade that would be put on the so called Stretch. So why not use the model that it would be like.
Like I said it could be more like a way to save money by using an existing handle and blade...but I still maintain that a Stretch without the Drop point blade isn't a Stretch.
The Police 3 has a choil and never did before...so make the D/E 5 have choils.
Assuming Spyderco decides to do it at all, I'm hoping whatever the final shape they choose, it will have an acute point, not that sadly rounded tip the Delica and Endura are cursed with. I'm darn sure that adding a choil to the Endura would take a lot more engineering R&D time and require an expensive new mold while, as long as you keep the lower half of the Stretch's blade the same, changing the shape of the spine should not require either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Deacon wrote:Assuming Spyderco decides to do it at all, I'm hoping whatever the final shape they choose, it will have an acute point, not that sadly rounded tip the Delica and Endura are cursed with. I'm darn sure that adding a choil to the Endura would take a lot more engineering R&D time and require an expensive new mold while, as long as you keep the lower half of the Stretch's blade the same, changing the shape of the spine should not require either.
I will agree that having an acute point is a must. I'm not a D/E fan, but it was sad to see the point become less so.

Oh yeah I am sure that it would require a lot more as altering the upper portion of the blade should really need next to no adjustments to the existing body.
On the hunt for...
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I wouldn't want to see the Stretch sporting a straight spine blade either (too much like the Delica and Endura). The Stretch has always had its own character and it probably deserves something a little more radical. How about a Wharnie or Clip (just throwing those out there as an alternative to the leaf)? You could get that really sharp tip you desire and not look like everything else.....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Prospero wrote:I wouldn't want to see the Stretch sporting a straight spine blade either (too much like the Delica and Endura). The Stretch has always had its own character and it probably deserves something a little more radical. How about a Wharnie or Clip (just throwing those out there as an alternative to the leaf)? You could get that really sharp tip you desire and not look like everything else.....
AFAIK, Sal was not suggesting replacing the existing Stretch, simply adding a more conventional blade shape (not that any Spyderco blade shape can really be called conventional) to the mix. Whiile I'd also be up for a wharnie Stretch, any blade shape that lowers or raises the tip might be difficult to achieve. I'm no engineer, but I'd be very surprised if a wharnie could be accommodated without shortening the blade, lengthening the handle, or changing the angular relationship between the two.
Paul
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Good point, The Deacon! Guess I wasn't thinking about it too much; the backspacer would interfere with the Wharnie tip when closed. Well, maybe a clip point then...? :rolleyes:
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The way I remember, it was pretty much a lockback superleaf with a thinner blade.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
cckw

Post by cckw »

I didn't do a side by side comparison but the photo shop made me think of a Caly. regardless, I want to go on record basically supporting this one. Most of the time when someone posts a new sprint idea I am a negative vote on it.

This may also be similar to the R Nishijin, which I got and don't like the carbon fiber on it, but the basic design is good
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

To me, a Stretch2 with a leaf blade wouldn't be a Stretch.
A sprint Stretch does sound good, with G-10 handles and a different steel(?)... but that may not be an easy task.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Papa_K wrote: A sprint Stretch does sound good, with G-10 handles and a different steel(?)..
+1 for this Papa_K. Maybe a foliage green variant based off the carbon fiber model to round out the Delica, Endura, Dragonfly collection? Or any other color G10.
iyn

Post by iyn »

Is the stretch popular enough to to a sprint run in different colors? A color that will blend with blue jeans?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

iyn wrote:Is the stretch popular enough to to a sprint run in different colors? A color that will blend with blue jeans?
Hard to say. Aside from dropping the really slow movers, Spyderco does not generally disclose sales figures.

As for a Stretch to go with blue jeans. That would depend a lot on what shade of blue you prefer your jeans to be. The blue of the original FRN/ZDP-189 version blends in pretty well with the ones I mostly wear now and turns up for sale occasionally on eBay and elsewhere. However, at one time or another I've purchased them so bleached out they could pass for white, so dark they'd look black in dim light, and pretty much every shade in between. So, as with most things in life, YMMV.
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

We showed the concept model that Solidstate mentioned in a few shows with little response. I'm open to discussion. I don't think I would use it to replace the existing stretch, but a short run with another color and/or steel might be an interesting project. Hadn't thought about a sharp tip like the older Endels. I worry about tip breakage. It's a real PITA for CS. The original idea was to offer a model between the Endura and Delica in size.

sal
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Since we 're talking Stretch - there was a discussion some time ago about a sprint Stretch with Superblue and G10 ...Any news on that project Mr. Glesser ?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:We showed the concept model that Solidstate mentioned in a few shows with little response. I'm open to discussion. I don't think I would use it to replace the existing stretch, but a short run with another color and/or steel might be an interesting project. Hadn't thought about a sharp tip like the older Endels. I worry about tip breakage. It's a real PITA for CS. The original idea was to offer a model between the Endura and Delica in size.

sal
I'd love to see a run of the Stretch with a straight spine. Understand the concern about tip breakage, but wonder if it would be any more of an issue with the Stretch than with the Native 5, Sage, Chaparral, or any of the other models with full flat grinds and moderately acute tips. Definitely can't imagine it being anywhere near as fragile as the Matriarch 2.
Paul
nwjavahead

Post by nwjavahead »

Personally, I like the blade shape a great deal, just wish there was a non-frn handle...epically a black blade, black g10...or standard Strech Blade and Foilage Green g10....I can dream, eh.

Djordje aka nwjavahead

Ps. I know there was a CF strech, way too rich for my blood currently, and missed out on it :(
My :spyder:'s; Centofante3, FRN Delica (Black), FRN DragonFly2 (Black), G10 DragonFly (2x, Foliage Green!), FRN Endura4 (Black), FRN Streach2 (Black), FRN Native4 (Black), G10 Native5, G10 Manix2 (BlackedOut), G10 Manix2XL (BlackedOut), FRN ManBug, G10 ManBug (Bolsterd, Grey), FRN LadyBug (3x, SE), G10 Jester (Grey), G10 Military (BlackedOut), G10 ParaMilitary2 (2x BlackedOut), Sage 1, Sage2, Sage3, Leafstorm...

Continuing the quest for a Ti ParaMiltary2, and, 'FullSize' Jester (Ti or G10)...
sal

Post by sal »

OK, I'll play.

A short Stretch run. We've discussed:

Straight spine / sharp tip FRN
Bolstered version
G-10

Steel would have to come from Japan. (VG-10, ZDP, Super Blue, Takefu Damascus, Cobalt special, ?)

Can we come up with one model?

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Interesting question. My personal like would be a bolstered version that was a little bit thicker. I love my CF version but it is a little thin IMO. I'm not an FRN fan but I like the extra thickness that it provides on the Stretch model. But a bolstered Super Blue version would make me very very excited. Especially if it had the upgrades like the Native 5 has.
On the hunt for...
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I'll go with Snoo and say that the steel must be Superblue.... ;)
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

It seems there's a lot of resistance to changing the charateristic blade shape. Having said that, if the blade shape were to remain the same, my ideas for a sprint would be based off the carbon fiber platform, not the FRN. Briefly:

1. Foliage Green G10 w/ VG10 blade to match Delica, Endura, Dragonfly versions.
2. Gray G10 (or Blue G10) w/ Super Blue steel (I know people have been clamoring for more Super Blue, just not sure this is the model to do it).

Bolsters are interesting idea. Not sure how much they will add to the cost....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:AFAIK, Sal was not suggesting replacing the existing Stretch, simply adding a more conventional blade shape (not that any Spyderco blade shape can really be called conventional) to the mix. Whiile I'd also be up for a wharnie Stretch, any blade shape that lowers or raises the tip might be difficult to achieve. I'm no engineer, but I'd be very surprised if a wharnie could be accommodated without shortening the blade, lengthening the handle, or changing the angular relationship between the two.
In order to do a wharnie they'd have to change the spot on the tang that hits the lock bar when shut (whatever that's called)...the part that stops the blade from hitting the handle when closed. They would have to raise that spot so the blade doesn't go as far into the handle. This way the tip wouldn't be as far into the handle. This looks like what they did with the Ladybug to make the hawkbill blade work without the tip hitting inside the handle.

It's petty, but the blade shape is the biggest thing about the Stretch that i never liked. Not sure why, maybe i've just come to expect straight spines or leaf shapes from Spyderco. I'm down for just about any wharnie though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David