sprint run on Stretch 2 with leaf shape blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I'm thinking the Stretch and Caly 3.5 got together and had a baby. Stretch FRN handle, Caly 3.5 leaf shaped blade with the nice sharp tip and FFG blade. We'll call it the Cetch 3.5
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

To play the cheapskate's advocate would a FRN sprint be available or does quantity not allow it? What would the savings be?

I really adore the FRN handle. If it lops off 20-50 for me a real bonus since the CF/ZDP-189 version retailed for around $170 if I recall a few years back.

Edit: just recalled a bolster might be integrated. If so, nevermind on FRN :) .
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I've come to see the practicality of the newer design tip on the Endura and Delica. I used an older GIN-1 Endura hard and somewhere along the line I lost a bit of the tip; I suspect that was happening to a lot of us, hence the design modification. I never encountered a situation where I couldn't do anything with the new design that I could with with the old. I guess that's just me....most seem to abhor the change.

I vote for a clip blade, tip modification and all...with a carbon weave like on the Szabo and a ZDP blade.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

I'd be all over a bolstered Stretch, regardless of steel. VG-10 would be easier on the wallet and a great user, but a Damascus Bolster Stretch would be beyond gorgeous. Either way, bolster it up, wrap it and my check's in the mail for sure.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Here are my thoughts:

Bolsters, Blue G-10, Smooth (like the Red G-10 Persian)
VG-10 or Super Blue
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Count me in!

Definitely Super Blue steel.

How about some burgundy or deep red G10? (I know micarta is too big of a PITA for this type of short run...)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Thoughts about Takefu SG2 ?
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:OK, I'll play.

A short Stretch run. We've discussed:

Straight spine / sharp tip FRN
Bolstered version
G-10

Steel would have to come from Japan. (VG-10, ZDP, Super Blue, Takefu Damascus, Cobalt special, ?)

Can we come up with one model?

sal
I'd definitely be in for one of either version regardless, just to add to my collection. More than one if the blade steel is stainless and, in the case of the bolstered version, if the bolsters are smooth.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I'd be in as long as it wasn't FRN...please no FRN
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
JT

Post by JT »

hmm, how about;

black FRN or black G-10 handle
ZDP-189 blade TiNi coated
leaf shape.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I would like to see this knife in H1, would be great addition to the series and probably easy to do since it is made in Japan.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I'm all for it in FRN or FRCP and with a pointy tip. Something like the Dragonfly, Manix 2, or UKPK tips would be great. Probably wouldn't buy it if it was in G-10 or something different. I just can't get myself to like other materials like I like FRN or FRCP.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

thelock wrote:I would like to see this knife in H1, would be great addition to the series and probably easy to do since it is made in Japan.
Except that if you use H-1 it can't have a full flat grind, and a Stretch without that wouldn't be worth having.
Paul
thelock

Post by thelock »

The Deacon wrote:Except that if you use H-1 it can't have a full flat grind, and a Stretch without that wouldn't be worth having.
Why not? It would still cut great, just like all other H1 knives and all other knives that use different grinds.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:Except that if you use H-1 it can't have a full flat grind, and a Stretch without that wouldn't be worth having.
I wouldn't mind a hollow-ground Stretch if the edge geometry was done properly. That said, I've never used the older predecessors which influenced the design so that's speculation at best.

Regardless, it's a model designed for a 4-way clip, liners, and such so using H1 would make more sense if making it a Salt model (which is unlikely). I'd rather see it in a steel that's different than one we have seen a ton of...it's an AFI model for a reason.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Stolen From http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... hing-more-)

Not really a leaf, but I like it a lot.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I really love that mod of Gary's and, while I wouldn't mind seeing one like that from the factory, unlike a true leaf or straight spine, it's something that can be done aftermarket. Removing steel from a blade "just" takes a craftsman, adding it takes miracle. ;)
Paul
iyn

Post by iyn »

[quote="MachSchnell"]Image

Stolen From http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... hing-more-)

Not really a leaf, but I like it

Stretch in G-10 would be cool. I still like VG-10 steel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That looks really nice :) . I would be down for that too.
iyn

Post by iyn »

Dear Sal,
After reading this thread I started I realized that the stretch 2 is fine the way it is, ok color options on the FRN would be cool, but the combination of the speed of the blade deployment, the light weight of the FRN handles, the qualities of the VG-10 steel, and the price makes this knife perfect for me. I guess I was looking for a super delica or a mini endura with a more handle that can lock my hand better in a forward thrust movement and the stretch 2 delivers it. the blade shape took a while to get used to and if it scares people that's fine, its my defensive blade. After 17 years the delica keeps coming back to my pocket in one form or another. the only difference is now is I carry it tip down. Sorry I won't be able to buy all your other knives but the future variations and colors of the stretch 2 will be along with the delicas.
Thanks Sal.