Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I know the Tuff is going for function over form, and the dimples probably do help with grip as well as weight, but... yeah, it doesn't do anything for me.

At this point, the knife looks like it's somewhere between a Caly3 (look at the profile when closed) and a folding Rock Salt, with crater marks from asteroid collisions. Still interested in a big, tough working folder, but Spyderco never seems satisfied with a utilitarian blade until they give it that one last nudge toward "hideous." ;)
—Daniel Jackson
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Thanks again, Wouter, my favorite thread!

The Chaparral, Street Bowie, Szabo, Starmate look interesting. I'm particularly glad the Street Bowie will be available again.
BAL

Post by BAL »

What is the blade length of the Tuff, the closer to 4" the better for me. I know the limit
is 3.5 in Colorado and less in other places. The Tuff needs to be a big knife though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BAL wrote:What is the blade length of the Tuff, the closer to 4" the better for me. I know the limit
is 3.5 in Colorado and less in other places. The Tuff needs to be a big knife though.
I seem to recall the edge length being 3, so figure about 3.5 total when you add the choil area at the tang.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

While completely biased (most my counties have a 3.5" max) once you cross past that length you drastically reduce the places where you can stay closer to the law. Anything can be conceived as a "dangerous weapon", I guess, but at least you have dimensions on your side.

Length laws and counties that allow them seem to reduce exponentially. 3" vs 3.5" vs above 3.5".
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

There is no rhythm to the tuffs g10 dimples, its unattractive because its chaos. The beauty in nature that sets our natural preference for modulated mathematic intervals such as a snail shells spiral or a ferns gradually diminishing leaf pattern needs to be the model for pleasing patterns, or the result is thus. The ti side has a certain amount of rhythm with the dimples gradually increasing in size, which is why we find that side more pleasing. Sal-if u need a graphic design consultant i'll cut you a good deal :D
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Once again great pictures. Thank you Mr. Blonde for taking the time to share these pictures. Now it's time to save some money !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Cheddarnut wrote:There is no rhythm to the tuffs g10 dimples, its unattractive because its chaos. The beauty in nature that sets our natural preference for modulated mathematic intervals such as a snail shells spiral or a ferns gradually diminishing leaf pattern needs to be the model for pleasing patterns, or the result is thus. The ti side has a certain amount of rhythm with the dimples gradually increasing in size, which is why we find that side more pleasing. Sal-if u need a graphic design consultant i'll cut you a good deal :D
It looks to me like the dimple pattern is exactly the same on the ti and G-10 sides. The only difference is the pattern stops on the ti side where the lockbar begins. The pattern is also partially obscured by the clip on the ti side, making this less obvious.
:bug-red-white
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Well this is my first post here. I hail from over at BF.com. I figured with my love of Spyderco I should join the forums! I like the looks of the Tuff. I guess one thing I like about Spyderco's is that they are unlike any other company as far as looks go. And I like that uniqueness. I like the Tuff because it looks tough and unconventional. I really like the looks of the Starmate and the Ulize, And the Techno :D . I like the looks of quite alot of this years line up. :spyder: Forgot to add. I think the Starmate looks kinda like the Gayle Bradley, in a good way of course. I would be interested in the specs.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
cktenders

Post by cktenders »

Couple of things on the TUFF...I'm not too keen on the dimples on the g10 side. Lock side looks pretty cool though. Looks cheap on the g10 for some reason. Also, and this is my biggest beef. If you are gonna charge me a relatively high amount (don't look into this too hard, I think Spyderco gives you a RETARDED amount of knife for the money) make the non locking side titanium too. Don't make a titanium frame lock with a stainless liner. I mean geez. It totally destroys the knife for me. I want ti frame locks because there is less to rust and less weight. I am really upset about this trend. Just doesn't make sense. I would rather it be linerless with a thicker g10 slab ala Strider. Starmate is a huge disappointment. Bland blade grind and boring steel. Deserves better. Should be made in Golden or Taiwan, if only for a different steel. (Vg10 is fine but how boring)
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

cktenders wrote:Couple of things on the TUFF...I'm not too keen on the dimples on the g10 side. Lock side looks pretty cool though. Looks cheap on the g10 for some reason. Also, and this is my biggest beef. If you are gonna charge me a relatively high amount (don't look into this too hard, I think Spyderco gives you a RETARDED amount of knife for the money) make the non locking side titanium too. Don't make a titanium frame lock with a stainless liner. I mean geez. It totally destroys the knife for me. I want ti frame locks because there is less to rust and less weight. I am really upset about this trend. Just doesn't make sense. I would rather it be linerless with a thicker g10 slab ala Strider. Starmate is a huge disappointment. Bland blade grind and boring steel. Deserves better. Should be made in Golden or Taiwan, if only for a different steel. (Vg10 is fine but how boring)
I think the G-10 would look cool with the texturing the titanium had on last years model. Just not left super aggressive, maybe sanded down some.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

IMO, it would've been very cool if the Tuff used a representation of its iconic blade fuller in the texture pattern for the handle.

For example, a single small dimple with a long groove emanating from the dimple could replicate the blade fuller extending from the Spyderhole.

A series of these small dimple/groove motifs arranged in a pattern could've provided good traction, an interesting unique look, and a coherent design that all ties together nicely. And wouldn't really be any more difficult to mill than the circular dimples. Just an idea. I don't really mean to harp on this issue. The Tuff will be what it will be. Just can't help but muse.
:bug-red-white
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

cktenders wrote:Starmate is a huge disappointment. Bland blade grind and boring steel. Deserves better. Should be made in Golden or Taiwan, if only for a different steel. (Vg10 is fine but how boring)
Golden is at full capacity. If you want it made in Golden maybe they can get to it next year. I wouldn't be surprised Taichung is near full capacity as well; they've ramped production up awfully fast there.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

All this complaining about the Tuff dimples will make the project be delayed once more.... :(

C'mon guys it's been 5 or 6 years since the first concept ....let Spyderco bring it to life and then you can swap the **** G10 scale if you dont like it...geeezzz

Regarding the Starmate since the maker i can see from the pictures it is Moki it should be a very good knife.... :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums SteelSpyder :)

cktenders wrote:Don't make a titanium frame lock with a stainless liner. I mean geez. It totally destroys the knife for me. I want ti frame locks because there is less to rust and less weight. I am really upset about this trend. Just doesn't make sense.
The stainless looks like a removable wear plate, not a "liner". If you would rather, they could make it cheaper and wear out quicker.

Frankly for any price the Tuff is going to decimate the competition. Don't anyone let the final touches keep you awake worried :p .
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

cktenders wrote:Starmate is a huge disappointment. Bland blade grind and boring steel. Deserves better. Should be made in Golden or Taiwan, if only for a different steel. (Vg10 is fine but how boring)
I am glad to see it back and will get one. But I will admit that I do wish that it was being made elsewhere with a nicer steel, be great to see in CPM154. But I can live with it in VG-10. The fact that it is a Moki knife...drops my enthusiasm a little bit more. I like washers in my knives. I know that Moki does a good job and I have a couple Moki knives, but I just wish that there were some washers in there...even teflon ones would be ok with me. So what should have been a 10/10 knife for me...is more like a 7.25/10. But like I said...still excited since I haven't managed to get an original run yet!

As for the grind...looks great.
On the hunt for...
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

Thank you so much for this thread! I'm not gonna lie, I've been on the tuff train since I saw the last prototype, but this new one doesn't do it for me. I'd much rather the diamond pattern from last year, or even plain scales over the random dimples. It's a really big bummer, because it was number one on my list, but now I just don't know :confused: . Here's my list:

Very Ineterested
Szabo Folder
Techno
Brad Southard Folder
Dodo Orange
Nilakka
Cricket Nishijin
Ulize
Caly 3 Damascus

Maybe
Tuff (Get ride of the cheesy dimples and It will me a definite yes!!)
Street Bowie
Manbug Bolsters
Gayle Bradley Air
Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF

Not Interested
Puukko
Starmate
Lum Tanto FB
Southfork (only because of the price)
Meerkat
Foundry Carpenter (except I love the blade shape!)
Chaparral Titan Stealth
Native 5 Titanium
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
jbdarkblue

Post by jbdarkblue »

I liked the diamond pattern also. I liked it on the prototype that had Ti on both sides. If only that Prototype could have the new pivot then the Tuff would be right back to number 2 on my must have list.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I am glad to see it back and will get one. But I will admit that I do wish that it was being made elsewhere with a nicer steel, be great to see in CPM154. But I can live with it in VG-10. The fact that it is a Moki knife...drops my enthusiasm a little bit more. I like washers in my knives. I know that Moki does a good job and I have a couple Moki knives, but I just wish that there were some washers in there...even teflon ones would be ok with me. So what should have been a 10/10 knife for me...is more like a 7.25/10. But like I said...still excited since I haven't managed to get an original run yet!

As for the grind...looks great.
Not all Moki knives are washerless i think ..some have teflon washers ...-Deacon could inform more on this - so it looks like Starmate will have washers... i think....
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

As far as we discuss favorite proto's I have seen and handled last sunday, here is my little wishlist:
-Air: lovely combi; gray glassfiber-Ti liners-M4, musthave.
-Southard's flipper; Ti-bladeshape in 204P-framelock-touch of G10, musthave.
-Techno, dullgray-XHP-Ti-framelock, musthave.
-Southfork, green handle, S90V, allround blade, musthave.

These are my special 4 coming models so far i will purchase.
Tom