Forum Knife... Some (Limited) Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Andreas wrote:Mule
Manbug (G-10)
Yojimbo2
I forgot about the YO2, and I am just assuming it will be a folder. Manbug G10 is made in Seki i believe
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Heespharm

Post by Heespharm »

how much do these normally run? how are these paid for?
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

It depends on what model they use
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for letting us know Kristi! :) And a huge thanks to Spyderco for deciding to offer us one this year! Image
jabba359 wrote:In for one no matter which model it is! Thanks Kristi!
+1 on that. :D
dgulbra wrote:
Andreas wrote:Mule
Manbug (G-10)
Yojimbo2
I forgot about the YO2, and I am just assuming it will be a folder. Manbug G10 is made in Seki i believe
True about the Manbug, but the online catalog lists it under US made knives, so I can understand Andreas' confusion. As for the other, while I'm inclined to agree that it won't be a Mule, they do have the advantage of being pretty much universally legal to own. As for other US models, while I doubt Spyderco would choose either as our Forum knife, nobody's mentioned the P'kal or Embassy yet.
Heespharm wrote:how much do these normally run? how are these paid for?
As dgulbra noted, it will depend on the model they choose. The last one (2009 Forum Native) was offered at a 40% discount off MSRP and, while I can't guarantee that price structure will hold true again, I'm fairly sure that if you use it you'll get a ballpark idea of what a Forum version of any current US made model would probably cost.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Thanks for the info Paul
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Needs to be a knife that attracts my interest as a wannabe steel head for me to get it.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Rwb1500 wrote:I'll throw some fuel on the fire... Lightweight UKPK anyone? Image
+1 I'd love it to be the UKPK lightweight ... actually it's the only one that I could afford at the moment.

Also, if I may, Kristi ... can you investigate ways to make the knife accessible to forumites in the UK? I think the SFO postage here was a bit pricey last time I looked and to pass British Customs someone would have to tighten the pivot. All US traders do this when asked so I hope you can too :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
DRH

Post by DRH »

I would be in for one regardless of which model is chosen. However, being relatively new here, this begs the question ... just how long does it take to produce a forum knife? I mean, this forum has nearly 12.5K registered users. Even considering only a fraction of the registered users would commit to ordering, production would need to fit into Spyderco's ongoing manufacturing schedule. Just curious.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DRH wrote:I would be in for one regardless of which model is chosen. However, being relatively new here, this begs the question ... just how long does it take to produce a forum knife? I mean, this forum has nearly 12.5K registered users. Even considering only a fraction of the registered users would commit to ordering, production would need to fit into Spyderco's ongoing manufacturing schedule. Just curious.
Registered user count for any forum that has been in existence for more than a year is deceptive and this one has been around for over 10. Folks register on a whim, post once, twice, or not at all, then never return. Folks forget passwords and register again under a new user ID. Spammers register, get quickly banned, but still show up on the RU count. Folks interests change over the years and they drift away. A few pass away. I doubt that more than 10% of those 12.5K users have visited the forum even once in the past 12 months. FWIW, Spyderco produced 300 pieces of the last Forum knife. It sold out rather quickly, so they MAY decide to make more this time but I'd bet against them making more than twice that.
Paul
Slash

Post by Slash »

ChrisR wrote:+1 I'd love it to be the UKPK lightweight ... actually it's the only one that I could afford at the moment.

Also, if I may, Kristi ... can you investigate ways to make the knife accessible to forumites in the UK? I think the SFO postage here was a bit pricey last time I looked and to pass British Customs someone would have to tighten the pivot. All US traders do this when asked so I hope you can too :D
how light of a knife do you need. I thought ukpk is pretty light to begin with. Plus, there already is a lightweight ukpk. In either words. It wouldn't be anything special.
pretty sure native 5 w/s110v or another high end steel is the consensus.
if that's not legal where you're at. There are other ways to get it passed customs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Slash wrote:pretty sure native 5 w/s110v or another high end steel is the consensus.
Wouldn't get my hopes up too high for that. The purple C41 Native wasn't what most folks expected last time. Time will tell, but Spyderco went with relatively affordable models for the last few and the Native V would be on the expensive side even in S35VN.
Paul
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lightweight Manix 2 or Native 5 with different color scales and possibly a slightly upgraded steel. I am sure they want to keep the price reasonable. As much as I would love something with S110v, a lot of people probably couldn't afford it.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I like the way benchmade handled their forum knife by putting various features/materials up for vote. With only one exception...pay up front if you commit to buy. Not, pay when it gets here. That way everyone who wants and can afford one will get one.
Only forseeable problem is perhaps you'll have some trolls making up multiple accounts and putting votes in for a knife they have no intention on purchasing. Highly unlikely that will happen though.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Slash wrote:how light of a knife do you need. I thought ukpk is pretty light to begin with. Plus, there already is a lightweight ukpk. In either words. It wouldn't be anything special.
Not sure what you mean here ... I'm saying that I'm happy with the existing UKPK Lightweight as a platform for the forum knife. :)

My only query is getting it shipped to the UK in a cheap way that meets the UK's over-zealous Customs regulations. It's perfectly legal to own a folding knife in the UK as long as it isn't an automatic, a gravity knife or a balisong and they can be carried too, if they are a sub 3-inch non-locker or you have a good reason. The problem is that the Customs department that handles international post are going for high seizure rates and seem to have decided that they have an issue with any knife that is smooth opening. So to keep them happy people have been asking US traders to tighten the pivot before posting ... or we buy through UK traders at an inflated price.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Thanks for the info Kristi and thanks to Spyderco for keeping the "Forum Knife" tradition going!
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Shakyamuni wrote:Image
Yep, that sums it up!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dgulbra wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lightweight Manix 2 or Native 5 with different color scales and possibly a slightly upgraded steel. I am sure they want to keep the price reasonable. As much as I would love something with S110v, a lot of people probably couldn't afford it.
I could really enjoy a Manix 2 lightweight in almost any other color with maybe Cruwear blade steel. I have not taken my MT12 mule out of the daily EDC since it arrived.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Love it! Thanks, Kristi!

BTW - my personal choice would be a G10 UKPK - maybe earth brown or dark green?

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

stop talking and start shipping HAHAHAHAHA i am in .
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Very cool! Starting saving now.Thanks Kritsi.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle