Forum Knife... Some (Limited) Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Orangeneck wrote: ...Wait till you experience high temps and high humidity...
Add clouds of mosquitoes to that and you may be in Alabama... :)
(or southeast Asia, where a lot of our current mosquito crop originated)
Orangeneck

Post by Orangeneck »

DougC-3 wrote:Add clouds of mosquitoes to that and you may be in Alabama... :)
(or southeast Asia, where a lot of our current mosquito crop originated)
The great thing about the DRY East Bay of NorCal is that there are no mosquitos, hence no West Nile or EEE viruses-both can kill you.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:Hehe, most people from here will tell you that the weather here is great. Well, it's temperate year round 55 to 65 degrees F on average and is one of the reasons why people like to move here... But I'm a tropical dude lol.
Orangeneck wrote:The great thing about the DRY East Bay of NorCal is that there are no mosquitos, hence no West Nile or EEE viruses-both can kill you.
So what do you two have to say about the San Diego weather? :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:So what do you two have to say about the San Diego weather? :D
Like I said, my mother's in Michigan and I'm in SF. She doesn't like it here but would like to move closer to me. We have family ties to San Diego, and she's selling it to me for both of us to relocate there. She cites the weather as one of the pluses :D and I must admit, its a good selling point ;)

This is relevant to the forum knife somehow, trust me guys!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Barman

Post by Barman »

Speaking of the weather...
A little comedy relief. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZdygKwe-8
Orangeneck

Post by Orangeneck »

JNewell wrote:So what do you two have to say about the San Diego weather? :D
Nothing. SD is in SoCal.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

It would have been nice if Spyderco had announced the knife in the threads that people were following.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Garbage
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this knife was released at 9:00 am mst on july 18th and sold out in about one and a half hours. It was a sticky at the top of the general discussion section for ten days. Here is a link to the announcement thread :http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... LEASE-INFO not sure if they held any stock back but it might be worth a call to the SFO.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this knife was released at 9:00 am mst on july 18th and sold out in about one and a half hours. It was a sticky at the top of the general discussion section for ten days. Here is a link to the announcement thread :http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... LEASE-INFO not sure if they held any stock back but it might be worth a call to the SFO.
Yeah.....I figured that out after I did some more digging. I had this thread and the original announcement thread on my browser tabs and kept checking in on those. I figured that the news would arrive in the active thread or the old one would have been reopened - I could just as easily have had the forum index open but finding stuff in that is like searching for a needle in a haystack sometimes. I've never bought a forum knife before and was really looking to this one. I guess I'll have to wait for the CF version when it arrives. It still bothers me that I missed out on this one since I was pretty well checking the tabs that I had opened on a daily basis. I'll try calling Spyderco but I doubt that they have any or that they would sell me one anyways....there's probably a ton of people who would like to still pick one up - why would they sell me one in preference to anyone else? Oh well....I guess I will spend the money on something other than a knife now.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hi ManixFan,

There will be lots of auctions like this in the near future:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spyderco-CPM-S11 ... 1c34d47d4c

Maybe, if the price will be right, you can snag one there, or one of the backups that people bought and will eventually sell @ knife-bst or other online knife forums marketplaces.

If you really want one, you still can get one, especially in the next 2-4 weeks.

Dennis
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

ManixFan wrote:It would have been nice if Spyderco had announced the knife in the threads that people were following.
It's been up and down the posts in this forum for over a year, and there was a heads-up in a very clearly titled thread a couple of weeks ago. They couldn't have made it much easier to stay on top of this.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

ManixFan wrote:It would have been nice if Spyderco had announced the knife in the threads that people were following.
Apologies for your disappointment. I thought I had posted a couple of times that the release info would be posted in a new thread, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Unfortunately it would have been more difficult to find if I posted it in any of the multiple threads that were ongoing just purely due to the volume of posts. A new thread stickied at the top of the forum was the only way to ensure it was fair and easy.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Kristi ............ while your here , how many forum knives were made ??
It was easy to find and know where and when to buy .......... thats wasnt a problem at all , it was very clear.
The bad thing for me was waiting 2 hours before trying , they were all gone by then .......... I never would of thought they would all go by that time limit.
At the rate they went , some folks were bound to get left out anyway .............
Theres a list I put my name on at spyderco ........... will there be any more knives made for those that missed the boat ??
Sure theres a CF version coming , (I,ll get that one too) but would of liked the Forum knife just for collecting purposes.
Steel Snob M-4
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DJ wrote:Kristi ............ while your here , how many forum knives were made ??
It was easy to find and know where and when to buy .......... thats wasnt a problem at all , it was very clear.
The bad thing for me was waiting 2 hours before trying , they were all gone by then .......... I never would of thought they would all go by that time limit.
At the rate they went , some folks were bound to get left out anyway .............
Theres a list I put my name on at spyderco ........... will there be any more knives made for those that missed the boat ??
Sure theres a CF version coming , (I,ll get that one too) but would of liked the Forum knife just for collecting purposes.
She just posted in another thread, they're waiting for the final count but believe it to be between 750-800.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks ..........I,ll take a look see.
Steel Snob M-4
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:Yeah.....I figured that out after I did some more digging. I had this thread and the original announcement thread on my browser tabs and kept checking in on those. I figured that the news would arrive in the active thread or the old one would have been reopened - I could just as easily have had the forum index open but finding stuff in that is like searching for a needle in a haystack sometimes. I've never bought a forum knife before and was really looking to this one. I guess I'll have to wait for the CF version when it arrives. It still bothers me that I missed out on this one since I was pretty well checking the tabs that I had opened on a daily basis. I'll try calling Spyderco but I doubt that they have any or that they would sell me one anyways....there's probably a ton of people who would like to still pick one up - why would they sell me one in preference to anyone else? Oh well....I guess I will spend the money on something other than a knife now.
I sent you a PM about my experiences picking up a Collector's Club knife after missing out on the green PM2, in case you're interested in trying to go that route. Good luck :)

Doug
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

TazKristi wrote:Apologies for your disappointment. I thought I had posted a couple of times that the release info would be posted in a new thread, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Unfortunately it would have been more difficult to find if I posted it in any of the multiple threads that were ongoing just purely due to the volume of posts. A new thread stickied at the top of the forum was the only way to ensure it was fair and easy.

Kristi
Well, I guess that I am kicking myself now more than anything. I had been lurking on these forums for a while, Spyderco and some of the other general blade and EDC forums. But when I came across the Forum knife thread I thought Wow - that's a nice knife! It was enough to make me register to the forum and I was sure that I would get one. I had bought a bunch of half decent CRKT from Backcountry when they were getting out of the Knife business a few years back - simply because they were so deeply discounted and I've always liked knives. But it is only recently after visiting a knife store in T.O. (S&R) and one of the owners suggested the Manix2 that I became aware of how nice Spyderco knives really are. That was teh first Spyderco that I picked up and I then discovered that there were a bunch that I had missed out on that I would have liked to own as well but because they were "Sprint" runs or "Exclusives" that if I wanted one now that I would have to pay a **** of a lot more. Which I wouldn't mind doing if I were independently wealthy. So I thought - I will make my first post (after watching the funny video someone had posted) and watch the forum threads every few days and then I would be assured of knowing when to order. If you had stated that the announcement would come in another thread then I guess I didn't pick up on that and as this was the very first forum knife that I was looking to buy I didn't know how it had been done in the past. However, if you look at my IP adress and the amount of times I've loaded up these threads (didn't usually sign in though) then you would be able to see that I had been keeping track. I had originally planned on getting two - just so that I might be able to TRADE one for one of the other knives that I had missed - not sell it on eBay like a see some of them coming up now. I would be happy to get just one at this point though but I'm not willing to pay an arm an a leg for one. I still have the carbon fibre version on order from KC (for $204) so I guess I'll just have to wait now. I am also hoping to snag the Knifeworks CF Manix 2 XL S90V when it comes out as well so at least this incident will make me more careful in not missing out on that one. I will call Spyderco and leave my name and number and if anyone there knows of someone who might want to sell an extra of theirs. I'm not really pissed off at Spyderco (well for the first 20 min after the realization set in I have to admit I wasn't very happy) or at the Administrator (Kristi).....just at myself for missing out on this great knife. :(

I am surprised to have even got a reply from Kristi....I certainly wasn't expecting it and I also don't expect her to feel bad just because my own forum inexperience cost me on this occasion. Thanks for the reply. Cheers!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the heads-up. I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. You are the first person on this Forum to PM me - otherwise I might not have even noticed that I had a notification. I will look at it now and see if it helps me. Thank you very much for helping out a noobie. Regards......Steve
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Welcome, ManixFan! The best way to know about anything Spyderco related is to just check the "General Discussion" forums. You shouldn't miss any new release if you're checking there regularly. It's not uncommon for multiple threads to pop up about a certain knife, so you can't rely on tracking one thread only. It looks like you should be in a good position to get the S110V CF Native though.
:bug-red-white