Spyderco shot themselves in the foot with the Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
APS

Post by APS »

I don't know, I think that the majority of knife enthusiasts are also "buying" enthusiasts just like any other hobby. It's about the knife, but it's also about buying "something".
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Green is the best color ever. No, blue is. Or maybe brown.
SMI

Post by SMI »

I really didn't care for the PM2. Materials were fine, but not a fan at all of choils. I really didn't find the scales comfortable either, kinda dug into my hands. Scales need to be beveled a little (IMO). Always felt like the handle was too long for the blade, but maybe that is just me.... could also be that choil playing mind games with me. I do however still think it is a bad *** looking knife.
Sht

Post by Sht »

As good as the pm2 is, once you have a Millie pm2 is moot.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Sht wrote:As good as the pm2 is, once you have a Millie pm2 is moot.
Unless, like me, you don't like liner locks and/or tip-down. We're back to naming our favorite colors.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

-F1 wrote:Unless, like me, you don't like liner locks and/or tip-down. We're back to naming our favorite colors.
Yes, I have to agree with this. I would much rather have a handle that fits my hand and 4-way pocket clip mounting, even with the slightly smaller blade length too.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Until the Para2 is available with such options as:
  • Serrated edge
  • Partially Serrated edge
  • Glow in the dark scales
  • FRCP Handles
Then the Manix2 remains the knife for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the Para 2 fine as I have two of them. I have the Black G10 with Black blade and the Digital Camo with. with bare stainless blade. The only complaint I have is with the compression lock. About have the time when I open one of mine the lock will pinch my hand. They are great little knives but think I would prefere a liner lock, frame lock or back lock over the compression lock.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Totally agree with you. The para 2 is the best edc knife!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Hey guys, you will all want to slap me! I bought my first Para 2 a week ago. At first I fell in love. Then I noticed that the blade was way off center. Then as a a day or two passed with some Para 2 play, the compression lock became horribly hard to press down and very sticky. Almost seemed to catch upon release. The grind or sharpness of the blade was very uneven and not very sharp. Felt small bumps or grooves in the actual blade. Tear! I contacted the seller, who is awesome, fyi...cutleryshoppe.com He told me to return it for a full refund. Anyways I am not giving up. Maybe to order the digi cam in satin this time. I had the black G-10 in S30V. I am prior service(Army) so I am partial to the digi cam. Any thoughts? Obviously this is not the norm for any Spyderco, but it does happen. I would love the bentobox sprint run! Just too much for me to justify the price point.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's great that you found "the one" for you, so I know what your getting at However. I wouldn't describe that as Spyderco shooting themselves in the foot. While I'm sure there are others who feel the same about the Para 2, I'm equally sure there are those who feel that way about some other model and others like myself who find themselves attracted to several Spyderco models almost equally. Nothing works for everyone, and I think Spyderco's greatest strength is their knack for designing and producing a goodly number of knives each of which works exceptionally well for some. Heck right now they have at least six excellent knives to choose from in the 3.5" range alone, each with its own unique character. They also have a knack for creating ways to virtually insure that, even if you know "one <insert model> is the only knife I need" the temptation of new handle colors scale materials, and steels will tempt you to own multiple versions of it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!