Opinions on a Keychain knife; Balance or Cricket?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
COOLJJ

Opinions on a Keychain knife; Balance or Cricket?

Post by COOLJJ »

I've spent about a year with the Boker Subcom and decided that I just don't like it. The AUS8 steel just doesn't hold an edge, it rusts too easily, and it is uncomfortable in my hand.

I got my first Spyderco knife maybe about 6 months ago. It was a dragonfly tattoo. Since then, I've bought 3 more dragonflys, a delica, and a caly jr. I'm a huge fan of spyderco now. They are my favorite knifes now and one is always in my EDC. Many more models are on my buy list. Anyway, I would like to replace my boker on my keychain and I'm thinking about the Balance or the Cricket. Any owners have some opinions on the pros/cons or likes/dislikes?

CoolJJ
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well for starters, i can't comment on this thread without suggesting the Ladybug. It's a lot smaller than what you're debating on, but it's the essential Spyderco keychain knife. The Manbug is a slightly beefed up version of the same knife, either would be excellent for keychain duty. Of the two you listed i'd probably have to go with the Balance.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Balance is more ergonomic, lighter, and will be easier to sharpen than the reverse S blade of the Cricket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd get a Ladybug Salt SE or a Ladybug ZDP-189 over either. It's half or a third the weight.

Otherwise, of the two (Cricket or Balance) go with what you like the look of more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I carried Cricket for few day and traded it away. I didn't like ergos neither performance. I will join others to recommend Ladybug or Jester. Out of your list Balance certainly has much better ergos than Cricket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Balance is a great knife. The ergos are amazing. I got it in both CF and SS and use them a lot. I have Cricket but do not find this knife very useful.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Get a Balance. Ed Schempp is a magician.
schofer

Post by schofer »

I absolutely love my cricket, but once in a while my keys would get tangled in the spydie hole and it would open in my pocket. The ball detente doesn't hold it closed very strongly (at least on mine). Don't have a balance, to say if it would be better. Anyhow, I now have a SAK on my keychain and a spyderco in my bag. Still love the cricket, though. A bit more effort to sharpen, but worth it. :)
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

Evil D wrote:Well for starters, i can't comment on this thread without suggesting the Ladybug. It's a lot smaller than what you're debating on, but it's the essential Spyderco keychain knife. The Manbug is a slightly beefed up version of the same knife, either would be excellent for keychain duty. Of the two you listed i'd probably have to go with the Balance.
I should have mentioned them in my original post, but I thought about those two but decided they were too small.

I like the biscuit design of the boker subcom and spyderco cricket. Something more for the hand to hold on to, but given how I don't like how the boker subcom's edges dig into my hand, I don't find it that ergonomic. Curious how the cricket and balance would feel during a moderate task like cutting a cardboard box.
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

Blerv wrote:I'd get a Ladybug Salt SE or a Ladybug ZDP-189 over either. It's half or a third the weight.

Otherwise, of the two (Cricket or Balance) go with what you like the look of more.
GOod consideration. I looked up the weights of the knives. The boker was 3oz and I had no problem carrying it. The balance with carbon fiber is 1.4 oz and the cricket is 1.75. Both coming in under the boker. The less weight will be nice compared to the boker.
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

DiKa wrote:Balance is a great knife. The ergos are amazing. I got it in both CF and SS and use them a lot. I have Cricket but do not find this knife very useful.
You don't find the blade shape on the Cricket useful, or is it the ergonomics of it?
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

bh49 wrote:I carried Cricket for few day and traded it away. I didn't like ergos neither performance. I will join others to recommend Ladybug or Jester. Out of your list Balance certainly has much better ergos than Cricket.
Thanks, seems to be a theme developing here that the balance has better ergos.
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

schofer wrote:I absolutely love my cricket, but once in a while my keys would get tangled in the spydie hole and it would open in my pocket.
Good point to notice. I wonder about the balance with its spydie hole being in the center if it has more leverage for this to happen easier than the cricket?
2cha

Post by 2cha »

COOLJJ wrote: Curious how the cricket and balance would feel during a moderate task like cutting a cardboard box.
Cutting with the Balance is a dream, it is truly the little big knife that can. The edge is really short, but so is the edge on a box cutter.
BBSWE

Post by BBSWE »

I rotate a Ladybug zdp and a PE Cricket as my office edc. I like the flattness and the ergos of the Cricket a lot, the only gripe I have is that the scales are a bit slippery. Hopefully the coming sprint will have more traction.

No problem sharpening the reverse-S on the Sharpmaker corners :)
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I own a CF Balance and use to own an SS Cricket.

Out of those 2 Id take off the clip on the Balance and keychain it, the SS Ladybug SE is what I carry on my keys and its perfect!

I have SS Jesters SE for future life carrying LOL (FLC) but I havent lost my keys yet.

Edit: The Ladybug is made for the keychain I truly believe, and if you like your Delica the blade isnt that much smaller honestly, if you put them neck to neck its really odd how close the Ladybug is compared to a mid length Delica.

Many might not agree but I do not recommend FRN for a key chain knife, I only recommend SS or liners, they seem to hold the blade closed alot more than FRN. Ive gifted many FRN Ladybugs out to women and guys and have heard too many stories of accidental openings & cuts. < this is from my friends & family.

Unless youre carrying 100 keys on your keychain the SS Ladybug gives your keys the perfect heft of weight that goes with a keychain.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

COOLJJ wrote:I should have mentioned them in my original post, but I thought about those two but decided they were too small.

I like the biscuit design of the boker subcom and spyderco cricket. Something more for the hand to hold on to, but given how I don't like how the boker subcom's edges dig into my hand, I don't find it that ergonomic. Curious how the cricket and balance would feel during a moderate task like cutting a cardboard box.
I primarily cut corrugated boxes, and I have big hands. I've never felt like the Ladybug was too small....especially when the rest of your keys fill what parts of your hand that the knife doesn't. If it wasn't for the occasional need for a longer blade, I could probably get by with just a Ladybug for EDC. That's saying something because I do a lot of cutting at work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

COOLJJ wrote:I should have mentioned them in my original post, but I thought about those two but decided they were too small.
Have you ever had a knife as small as a Ladybug? I hadn't and sort of laughed at the thought of one. Finally, I got a Ladybug Salt. I like it a lot more that I thought I would. Something that small will do a lot more than I thought it would. Recently I got a Jester which I like a LOT better. It's the same size but feels sturdier. It's a lot more expensive than the Ladybug was though. The Manbug FRN would be a great choice aslo or even the Manbug with G-10 and bolsters.

You said you have ruled out something that small but so had I at one time. It's one of those times when I didn't think something would work but it turned out great. Also, since it's a keyring knife I'd always have something else with me as well. Any knife dangling with a bunch of keys is always a little difficult to manage IMO. I carry mine attached to a small AAA flashlight and thay both come in very handy and one isn't a hindrence to using the other. I can seperate them if I need to though. Here's a picture if you're interested. The Chaparral is there for comparison of knife size. It's one of my favorite EDC knives also. Another thing I like about this setup is the clip on the flashlight keeps it at the top of my pocket if I want it to. I always hated having keys along with a small knife or flashlight when I didn't need the keys.

Jack
Attachments
EDC Jester, (1) light,  Chaparral EDC (best).jpg
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

schofer wrote:...Anyhow, I now have a SAK on my keychain ...
I'm just curious which one?
COOLJJ

Post by COOLJJ »

jackknifeh wrote:Have you ever had a knife as small as a Ladybug? I hadn't and sort of laughed at the thought of one. Finally, I got a Ladybug Salt. I like it a lot more that I thought I would. Something that small will do a lot more than I thought it would. Recently I got a Jester which I like a LOT better. It's the same size but feels sturdier. It's a lot more expensive than the Ladybug was though. The Manbug FRN would be a great choice aslo or even the Manbug with G-10 and bolsters.

You said you have ruled out something that small but so had I at one time. It's one of those times when I didn't think something would work but it turned out great. Also, since it's a keyring knife I'd always have something else with me as well. Any knife dangling with a bunch of keys is always a little difficult to manage IMO. I carry mine attached to a small AAA flashlight and thay both come in very handy and one isn't a hindrence to using the other. I can seperate them if I need to though. Here's a picture if you're interested. The Chaparral is there for comparison of knife size. It's one of my favorite EDC knives also. Another thing I like about this setup is the clip on the flashlight keeps it at the top of my pocket if I want it to. I always hated having keys along with a small knife or flashlight when I didn't need the keys.
Jack
I do have a kershaw chive and I used that as my basis for whether the ladybug or manbug were too small or not. The chive is 2 7/8" closed and I consider it too small. The ladybug is 2.438" and the manbug is 2.51", so just a tiny bit smaller than the chive.

I like the biscuit design of the cricket and the boker because it gives something more to hold onto, yet isn't too big to be carrying on a keychain.