Any word on the Orange Dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

w3tnz wrote:um what rock have you been under lol.. you can still pre order from KW BTW>

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercoc80gp ... ntrun.aspx

you have to pay up front tho.
When I pre-ordered the dodo from KW, they placed a hold on my card for the $$, but never actually charged it.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

gbelleh wrote:I don't know. I'd bet this one will sell out pretty fast. Orange is a pretty popular color these days. Look at how quickly the orange Para 2 sold out. And there are lots of people (like myself) who have been waiting years to finally get their hands on a Dodo.
I'm gonna have to agree with this. There was a LOT of interest for this knife in the original DoDo thread. Its pre-order has been out of stock everywhere, except Knife Center which apparently accepts an infinite number of pre-orders. I pre-ordered mine at GPK the first day it was available and it was gone very quickly thereafter. I'm sure it will be available on the secondary market very quickly after its release....with a huge mark-up.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

eloreno wrote:When I pre-ordered the dodo from KW, they placed a hold on my card for the $$, but never actually charged it.
I was fully charged about 2 weeks ago, 20th of feb.
JD Spydo

I'm late to the party but I do have questions?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I'm embarrassingly late to the party on this one. But me and my boss are definitely going to nail down at least one each>> I will get one for me and one for him>>

Now I have a question, 2 questions actually that I previously asked on one of the other "ORANGE DODO" threads.> Are they going to offer it in Spyderedge or plain edge only?

And I assume this one is also going to be S30V blade steel right? >> if not then which one?

OK bring it on!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I believe they're all PE and S30V.
:bug-red-white
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JD Spydo wrote:Now I have a question, 2 questions actually that I previously asked on one of the other "ORANGE DODO" threads.> Are they going to offer it in Spyderedge or plain edge only?

And I assume this one is also going to be S30V blade steel right? >> if not then which one?

OK bring it on!!
Eric answered your first question in the main orange dodo thread:
Eric Glesser wrote:The orange is still a few months out. We’re planning plain edge on both Sprints. The second run will be Carbon Fiber but most likely won’t come until late 2012 and will be the same number of pieces. We did update our engineering for better quality and consistency. Some changes included a blind pin to the backspacer for strength and a machined spine as opposed to bead blasted.
The answer to your second question, as can be seen in the picture on the current eBay listing, is S30V.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JayTeeEmEm

Post by JayTeeEmEm »

I just got a new job yesterday and an Orange Dodo is my present to myself. I was holding off as I just got my CF Millie until I heard about the job, it took 4 weeks and 2 interviews but I got it and after ordering a Dodo from KW, I just have to wait to see if I get one. I think this will be the perfect partner to my orange Millie.
:spyder: Stretch ZDP Delica 4 FFG Cricket SS Persistence UKPK FRN Rescue and Blue DP Sage CF Pacific Salt Centofante 3 Spin Dragonfly SS Bill Moran DP Military CF Lum Ti Military H1 Ladybug Hawkbill Ladybug Para 2:spyder:

"Knives have great depth. History, geography, metalurgy, hi tech materials, design, interesting mechanisms, everyday function plus the beauty in the creation of each piece.

It's an addictive hobby though. Be careful."

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JayTeeEmEm wrote:I just got a new job yesterday and an Orange Dodo is my present to myself. I was holding off as I just got my CF Millie until I heard about the job, it took 4 weeks and 2 interviews but I got it and after ordering a Dodo from KW, I just have to wait to see if I get one. I think this will be the perfect partner to my orange Millie.
Way to go! I know how hard the job hunt can be. Hope you enjoy your Dodo!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JayTeeEmEm

Post by JayTeeEmEm »

jabba359 wrote:Way to go! I know how hard the job hunt can be. Hope you enjoy your Dodo!
thanks Spyderbro. Thankfully going from one job to another. More pay and less work and stress. Winning :cool:

Mmmm Dodo :D
:spyder: Stretch ZDP Delica 4 FFG Cricket SS Persistence UKPK FRN Rescue and Blue DP Sage CF Pacific Salt Centofante 3 Spin Dragonfly SS Bill Moran DP Military CF Lum Ti Military H1 Ladybug Hawkbill Ladybug Para 2:spyder:

"Knives have great depth. History, geography, metalurgy, hi tech materials, design, interesting mechanisms, everyday function plus the beauty in the creation of each piece.

It's an addictive hobby though. Be careful."

sal
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

My distributor just got these in. I should have them very soon if not tomorrow!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

wsdavies wrote:There's one on the Bay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Dodo-O ... 500wt_1416
That's the crap I'm afraid of. I love the knife, but I will never pay for that markup. :mad:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JayTeeEmEm wrote:thanks Spyderbro. Thankfully going from one job to another. More pay and less work and stress. Winning :cool:
Mmmm Dodo :D
Double congrats than.
willydigger wrote:That's the crap I'm afraid of. I love the knife, but I will never pay for that markup. :mad:
Do not worry. 1000 pieces is plenty for everybody who wants. If you do not have them on pre-order, may be you will not be able to buy on the first week of release, but certainly will be able to get a little later.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

wsdavies wrote:There's one on the Bay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Dodo-O ... 500wt_1416
That didn't last long...even at $190.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Didn't even look at the specs on this, smaller than I thought, but awesome little knife.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

^
|

WOW! Totally awesome.
zippy2001

Post by zippy2001 »

Sweet looking knife! I just ordered mine from the Spyderco Store.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

willydigger wrote:That's the crap I'm afraid of. I love the knife, but I will never pay for that markup. :mad:
+1
I remember seeing the original Dodos being sold for $70 everywhere. At that time, I didn't understand the Dodo and didn't want it. This one seems to be about double the price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

I got shipped information today so hopefully I will receive it on Monday!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jay_Ev wrote:+1
I remember seeing the original Dodos being sold for $70 everywhere. At that time, I didn't understand the Dodo and didn't want it. This one seems to be about double the price.
The MSRP seems to make sense given inflation and cost of materials. Wouter says it's a better finished product than the original.

Mark-up is exactly that, often irrational. At somewhere in the $120 range it seems a solid value and definitely a quirky following.

I guess it's a prime example of old work of an artist skyrocketing once they become established. Eric has been knocking designs out of the park lately and arguably this one was released before it's time.