M390 Millie Lock Engagement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Mine did the same thing when I first got it - open slowly and it would engage too early for me. If I put pressure on the spine though, it would seat a little further in. Open it quickly (normally) and it would lock up perfectly. I've been carrying it and using it for a few days now and no matter how slowly I open it, it locks up beautifully now. I think it just a very small break in period. :)
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

cosmo7809 wrote:Chuck just wants to make sure that the blade doesnt close on him when he shaves with it :P

Excited to get my Millie(hopefully this week!)
Oh yeh Cosmo, you got my number awright. :D

KW, Y U NO SHIP COSMO'S MILLIE YET?

Billy wrote:Mine did the same thing when I first got it - open slowly and it would engage too early for me. If I put pressure on the spine though, it would seat a little further in. Open it quickly (normally) and it would lock up perfectly. I've been carrying it and using it for a few days now and no matter how slowly I open it, it locks up beautifully now. I think it just a very small break in period. :)
Glad to hear that. :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

cosmo7809 wrote:Chuck just wants to make sure that the blade doesnt close on him when he shaves with it :P

Excited to get my Millie(hopefully this week!)
they must be some strong whiskers LOL
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:they must be some strong whiskers LOL
Yah, never know Trav. Ya never know. ;)
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

cosmo7809 wrote:chuck just wants to make sure that the blade doesnt close on him when he shaves with it :p

excited to get my millie(hopefully this week!)
lol
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think he spine whack/batons to shave. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:I think he spine whack/batons to shave. :)

I baton my whiskers. :D
Slash

Post by Slash »

I don't care if he uses it to shave *Edited*...There's nothing wrong with the lock. I hope mine comes the same way.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I've only ever had one liner lock Spydie and I got it used so I don't know what's normal, but I've gotten a few Emersons that were that early or earlier and they were all fine with solid lockup. My Burch makes me nervous though, but it's a framelock. I mean it is ROCK solid but holy crap does it lockup early.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Don't worry about it. I had a regular Millie that same way. It'll settle fully into locked status in a couple days of use.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Billy wrote:Mine did the same thing when I first got it - open slowly and it would engage too early for me. If I put pressure on the spine though, it would seat a little further in. Open it quickly (normally) and it would lock up perfectly. I've been carrying it and using it for a few days now and no matter how slowly I open it, it locks up beautifully now. I think it just a very small break in period. :)
OK he beat me to it. Enjoy and let us know what you think of M390!
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Mine doesn`t lock up as early as I would have like it to. But it is solid. :)
Attachments
C36CFM390P 046.JPG
Hold Fast

David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If it won't snap shut with a moderate amount of force, you're fine. I have never taken it particularly easy on any of my spydies, and I've never made a lock fail unless it was full of crud. Of course I don't spine whack or overstrike as I can"t afford to buy nice things for the purpose of destroying them (though I am willing to offer destruction tests of anything sent to me ;) ) - I seem to recall something about either an eccentric pivot or stop pin on earlier milis - Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to recall some adjustability if necessary. Reckon you're good, Chuck. Why the **** is a knuckle-dragger like you opening it slowly anyway? ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

defenestrate wrote:If it won't snap shut with a moderate amount of force, you're fine. I have never taken it particularly easy on any of my spydies, and I've never made a lock fail unless it was full of crud. Of course I don't spine whack or overstrike as I can"t afford to buy nice things for the purpose of destroying them (though I am willing to offer destruction tests of anything sent to me ;) ) - I seem to recall something about either an eccentric pivot or stop pin on earlier milis - Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to recall some adjustability if necessary. Reckon you're good, Chuck. Why the **** is a knuckle-dragger like you opening it slowly anyway? ;)
I did some tweaking with the pivot and I got a bit later engagement at the price of an uncentered blade. I adjusted it back to centered blade and early lockup. I reckon it's gonna settle in as others have experienced. Not just heard of. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Slash wrote:I don't care if he uses it to shave his balls...There's nothing wrong with the lock. I hope mine comes the same way.
Still butthurt? I never said there was something wrong with the lock. I just reported how mine came and wanted to see some other lockups. If you read my post carefully, I said that I tried exerting some pressure on the spine and "was not able to make it fail".
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I finally got my 2 in the post today...and the first one locks up with barely a sound and looks exactly like Chucks. The 2nd locks with a much louder click and is fully engaged, with the lock bar flush to the side of the tang.
On the hunt for...
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Was opening and closing my M390 millie today. After about a dozen openings, I opened it slowly and heard a loud click as the lock fully engaged. Now I cannot get the lock to partially engage no matter how slowly I open the knife. Looks like my knife is officially broken in.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Onionman wrote:Was opening and closing my M390 millie today. After about a dozen openings, I opened it slowly and heard a loud click as the lock fully engaged. Now I cannot get the lock to partially engage no matter how slowly I open the knife. Looks like my knife is officially broken in.
"like"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it really bothers you, you could take a little sandpaper and just barely sand the liner off a little and test it every few passes to see if it engages further. I'd prefer mine to at least engage flush with the tang, but look on the bright side it has many many years of wear left in it. Engaging too early is better than too late.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MCM

Post by MCM »

Looks good to me.

Spyderco perfection........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......