Customer Service

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
j3jymann

Customer Service

Post by j3jymann »

I've been a loyal spyderco customer for a few years now but have never had the need to get in contact with customer service because I've been able to fix any of the little things which may have gone wrong with my knives in the past.

Just recently I tried contacting customer service about a tenacious I have, I needed a replacement clip but more importantly I needed new scale screws. My blade had gotten out of alignment and I needed to straighten it up, easy job, so just like any other knife I went to loosen the screws on the scales, and immediately this simple fix turned into a difficult task. The screws were tightened down so hard and filled with what must have been some of the best loctite ever because I ended up stripping out 1 of them completely (then I used a blowdryer to loosen up subsequent screws) and damaging almost every single other head, just trying to loosen them up.

Despite how it may sound from the story of stripped screws I was not going at it like a gorilla with a hammer, I've worked on many other knives and tightened and loosened countless screws, hex, and torx screws, I know how to apply pressure to get a tight screw out without damaging the head, these still got damaged.

Alright, a little embarrassing but not too big of a deal, I need to call customer service anyway to order a new clip and I know customer service at spyderco is exceptional because I've read countless stories about how great they are.

I've now left a total of 3 messages with customer service, I got through once and was immediately forwarded to sales to sell me a new clip despite my explanation about needing new scale screws. The sales guy "Mike" was very friendly and helpful; telling me how much the clip would cost but said he didn't know much about the scale screws and suggested customer service, I explained that they had just forwarded me over to him. He said he would try to find out more about them and call me back. We're on the second or third day since then and I have subsequently called back again and got sent to voicemail. I'm calling within normal business hours and all of this has taken place over 10-15 days, I don't understand why this keeps happening.

Where is the great customer service I have heard so much about?
rg02

Post by rg02 »

email Charlynn (pretty sure that is her name) at spyderco customer service. i accidentally stripped my hex screws out on my pocket clip for my ambitious and i just emailed her at customerservice@spyderco.com
and she sent me new screws free of charge. not sure if they will have extra scale screws, but i do know they have pocket clip screws. shoot her an email. much easier then calling!

customerservice@spyderco.com
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
yobohadi

Post by yobohadi »

Here is a link to their warranty information: http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

You may try emailing them your issue and send them pics of the knife and the damaged screws (much more helpful than trying to explain it over the phone). They have always answered me within a day or two via email. They may have you send the knife in and you will most likely have to pay for the repairs since the damage was caused by you.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Often it comes down to luck. The BEST companies in the world occasionally don't meet every customer eye to eye in every situation. Customer service (overall) is outstanding which doesn't discredit your experience but doesn't mean it speaks for the masses.

That said, you are somewhere between customer service and warranty & repair. Companies have sales teams (which sell clips and things like that) and a department that products. As scale screws probably don't have a SKU, because people aren't supposed to mess with them, it's just a matter of getting through to W&R and hopefully having someone send some out.

Long and the short, no intent to flame you, if you mess something up sometimes you have to assume there will be a delay. It's not a matter of ordering a # 3 combo meal Biggie-sized at that point; it's a custom solution for a custom problem.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

What size and what type (hex, Torx, etc.) of wrench(es) did you use on the scale screws?
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you messed up the first screw I am uncertain why you would continue:
damaging almost every single other head
Regardless, at this point you would probably be best served by sending the knife in to have it repaired. The Tenacious has suffered from lower quality hardware and stripped screws aren't unheard of. Your problem with contacting CS is not the usual. Many can attest to the fact that Spyderco CS is usually stellar. Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience, I am sure they will figure things out.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Well, whatever. The Tenacious has 1.5-mm hex scale screws. That's indeed "one-and-a-half millimeters". Some people claim to have a Tenacious with some other type of scale screw, but the one I mentioned seems to be (at least) predominant. I'd bet you used the wrong type or size wrench, or maybe a crap-quality wrench of the "correct" type and size, which can be just as bad.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm with F1. Hardware strips easy with the wrong tool. These knives come with screws so Spyderco can service them and that's only why.

People are going to do what they are going to. Still, they are designed to hold the knife together and locktite is to prevent back-out. The tool is doing a proper job.

Goodluck.
j3jymann

Post by j3jymann »

-F1 wrote:Well, whatever. The Tenacious has 1.5-mm hex scale screws. That's indeed "one-and-a-half millimeters". Some people claim to have a Tenacious with some other type of scale screw, but the one I mentioned seems to be (at least) predominant. I'd bet you used the wrong type or size wrench, or maybe a crap-quality wrench of the "correct" type and size, which can be just as bad.
I pride myself with using quality tools, thank you for that bit of information but it is incorrect, my tenacious has torx screws in it, they were T6 screws, since in your mind I am likely unable to tell what size screw they are I'll happily send you one of them in the mail for your personal inspection.

Despite my problem being with a low end knife I am not some imbecile who does not know how to take care of his tools or use the proper screw size, type, or "crap quality" I have worked on and fixed issues with many other much higher end knives, countless vehicles, and other toys of mine, and never had any problem with screws before. Thank you for assuming, despite the well known issues the tenacious has had with its screws, that I am unable to properly service I knife or use the proper size bit; that was very helpful.
j3jymann

Post by j3jymann »

araneae wrote:If you messed up the first screw I am uncertain why you would continue:
Because I remedied the situation of the overzealous loctite by heating up the screws with a blowdryer, the other screw's metal bent just from properly removing them, they are very low quality and the metal is easily pliable. Spyderco's warranty is no longer valid if you open up your knife, it would seem far less sensible to me to send a knife in just to get new screws and waste the repair department's time and my money when I could "simply" pay for them to send me the new screws.

This is a $20 knife or so, it just doesn't connect or make sense in my mind to send it in for a spa treatment, it honestly never even occurred to me to have the tenacious serviced by a professional because while it's a nice little knife it's in the price range of a throw away knife. The only reason I was even trying to fix it in the first place is because I've been playing with some new sharpeners lately and the 8cr13mov is easier to sharpen than any of my other knives and I feel bad getting a knife sharp and then not carrying it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

j3jymann wrote:I pride myself with using quality tools, thank you for that bit of information but it is incorrect, my tenacious has torx screws in it, they were T6 screws, since in your mind I am likely unable to tell what size screw they are I'll happily send you one of them in the mail for your personal inspection.

Despite my problem being with a low end knife I am not some imbecile who does not know how to take care of his tools or use the proper screw size, type, or "crap quality" I have worked on and fixed issues with many other much higher end knives, countless vehicles, and other toys of mine, and never had any problem with screws before. Thank you for assuming, despite the well known issues the tenacious has had with its screws, that I am unable to properly service I knife or use the proper size bit; that was very helpful.
Yep, I think F1 also argued about the kind of screws on the Ten/Per some time ago based on his one specimen.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No dig intended and certainly no assumption you were an imbecile. Nearly everyone who has problems with disassembly/assembly blames inanimate objects; seems you're in the minority of people with tangible skill. I have to wonder if every Chinese knife W&R services gets a new set of screws.

In the end you have a broken knife and that's frustrating. I can sympathize with your disposition. Still, I can't fault the "low end" knife or an incompetent company.
j3jymann

Post by j3jymann »

Here are a few pictures still showing the scallops despite being stripped for those who expressed concern that I was not able to tell what type of screw head they were. I apologize for the "crap-quality" but my camera just isn't that good, what can ya do? I still extend my offer to send you one in the mail if you're not able to see the scallops clearly

Blerv wrote:Still, I can't fault the "low end" knife or an incompetent company.
I can't either, I don't fault anything except myself for stripping the screws in the first place, I'm a little disappointed by my experience but was really looking more for advice on how to go about fixing it (thanks for that advice from rg02 about the e-mail) and perhaps if I was lucky garner the attention of someone on the boards who was able to help me as an alternative route of getting what I need since calling customer service on the phone wasn't working.

I apologize to everyone if I came off as only coming in complaining, I admittedly was frustrated by the way things turned out and touchy about the screws because I'm embarrassed that I stripped them, even if I know I didn't do anything wrong it's still embarrassing to strip a set of screws. That was not my intent, shiny footprints and all that.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think you have to prove your point. Let us know how your warranty claim goes and the resulting customer service (once the dept is reached).

That's the point of your thread after all.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I have a fair amount of interaction with Spyderco over the years. And have gotten mad a someone there. You cannot know what the situation is there at any moment, Normally things flow pretty well. Even when I got mad at that person (who was confusing mine with some other issue) It got resolved fast and correctly once cleared up. I get angry fast if I think I'm getting the run around and will not stick up for anyone who resorts to that. But in this case in spite of any flaws or hick-ups you cannot find any that are better, and will take a very long time to find one as good.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Quote directly from Spyderco website:

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc. unconditionally voids the knife’s warranty.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Understood. No offense taken and none intended.

Glad you got some good advice and have a plan towards resolution.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I honestly find the hardware on the tenacious lineup to not be precisely 1.5mm; it's a hair larger, and just enough to be sketchy when tightening and loosening these allen screws.

P.S. No snug fit with imperial either.

Hopefully the Spydercrew can help you out.