Knife Works Para2 up for preorder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JudasD wrote:Well i just snagged one from the backup list. KWs server was way slow. The shopping cart even threw errors for a bit. Took almost 15 minutes to push the order through. ugh. It went back to out of stock immediately after.

JD
springnr wrote:Sorta hard to remain calm when the shopping cart says try again later, half way through checking out :>)
Order complete at 8:10 (that would be 10:10 pm here in Japan) ... yea.
Clip wrote:Interesting you said it was quite short. When I called last week asking them to verify my name on the list from last year sometime, they told me it was over 200 people long.
russde wrote:No idea how long the list was, I should have been no. 1 or 2 on the back up list...and I got the e-mail announcing the availability in the store a few days ago. At first I was upset, because, I was no. 1 or 2, but I got to thinking about it from a business perspective.
I wouldn't want my customer service reps on the phone calling 200 (or even 100) people to see if they were still interested in buying a product they had expressed interest in over a year ago. They sent an e-mail (and I deleted it at first, thinking that I really shouldn't buy it), but I found myself at the computer at 9 (8cst) doing something else and it just popped into my head...today's Thursday...something was going on Thursday at 9...oh, right, the PM2....argh, hurry up and load...stupid website...where's my credit card...argh...and finally got the confirmation.
I reloaded the site about 20 minutes later and it showed 'out of stock'...but there was a note that they had neglected to charge shipping and you could call to authorize it or they would be contacting people to get it authorized, also a scary note that they had been over sold. I called and gave them my order number and authorized the shipping (didn't even ask how much, it's a bargain regardless) and held my breath until she said "ok" which I took to mean that I wasn't one of the poor folks on the back-up list that thought they had won the PM2 lottery but didn't.
Enough rambling...looking forward to the shipping notice now.
R :D
Clip wrote:Congratulations. I guess I'm irritated now that I was confirmed on the list but didn't receive any emails regarding the limited number they'd put up for sale.
Buck Knives I Like wrote:Just ordered one today, they released them again this morning for 1 minute for those who were on the back up list. It wasn't in any order it was first come first serve. Super excited to have this knife ordered, as I missed the first release date, I was happy to make this one and I woke up early just to do it.
JudasD wrote:I was just contacted. I was one of the oversold folks :'(

JD
Ferris Wheels wrote:I have not been contacted yet. I knew this was going to be a fiasco as soon as I got the email. I figured there servers weren't going to be able to handle the load and they couldn't. Hopefully they don't try something like this again. We still have the S90V Manix XL and Yojimbo to get through.
I didn't have a personal stake in this, but based on the way the pre-orders were handled, I've been a bit apprehensive about people thinking their rank on the backup list would determine whether or not they would get a green para2. So now I'm trying to figure out how this was handled, out of curiosity and maybe for future reference.

Looks like at least some people got an "email a few days ago" "announcing availability in the store." I have to assume they were available "in the store" only for people on the backup list.

If they had x number of knives left over, one fair way to handle it would be to email x number of people at the top of the backup list offering them the opportunity to order, wait a day or two and email a few more people, a number = to or slightly greater than the number in the x group who backed out or didn't answer. If they emailed a slight excess to speed things up, that could account for overselling with a few people.

"Buck Knives I Like" says "they released them again this morning for 1 minute for those who were on the back up list." No way to tell how this worked, but giving them every benefit of the doubt, this could have been a group at the top of the list.

So from the information we've got so far, maybe this was handled pretty fairly. It looks like that could be consistent with what was said in all the quotes above :confused:

If anybody knows of anyone from the bottom of the list getting a green para2, then that shoots down all my assumptions and suppositions :(
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

DougC-3 wrote:If anybody knows of anyone from the bottom of the list getting a green para2, then that shoots down all my assumptions and suppositions :(
It didn't seem like there was any priority given to who KW emailed about the release of the knives. Per the email, it was a "first come first serve basis," but that was only who could check out the fastest or who got lucky. I'm pretty sure everyone got the same email with the same release time.

For example, I only joined the backorder list a couple months ago, but had the same opportunity to buy as those who were on it from day one.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I agree with, DougC-3. I'm a bit confused by that chain of posts as well. But congrats to those who managed to score one in that 60 second window.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got on the backup list for the M4 Military, they called me to get my payment info.

I pre-ordered a M390 Millie and also jumped on the backup list for a spare. I went to lunch and didn't check my email for one hour, got back to the office. Noticed I missed the email with notice that some would be available on the website. No problem, right? In that hour, I also missed the sale of the backups... That was pretty annoying! I emailed to let them know I was disappointed that there was less than one hours notice. About a month later, I got a second chance and got my backup.

I would think that not all of the pre-orders are paid for, and that what went up for sale are just some of the pre-orders that were called and chose not to pay for their orders (in other words, backed out).
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm sorry that I missed getting a second one.however I did get 2 of the grey 20cp ones and like that steel better, though the color less...so that it's some consolation. Though for some reason in still a bit bummed not getting a second...
On the hunt for...
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

DougC-3 wrote:I didn't have a personal stake in this, but based on the way the pre-orders were handled, I've been a bit apprehensive about people thinking their rank on the backup list would determine whether or not they would get a green para2. So now I'm trying to figure out how this was handled, out of curiosity and maybe for future reference.

Looks like at least some people got an "email a few days ago" "announcing availability in the store." I have to assume they were available "in the store" only for people on the backup list.

If they had x number of knives left over, one fair way to handle it would be to email x number of people at the top of the backup list offering them the opportunity to order, wait a day or two and email a few more people, a number = to or slightly greater than the number in the x group who backed out or didn't answer. If they emailed a slight excess to speed things up, that could account for overselling with a few people.

"Buck Knives I Like" says "they released them again this morning for 1 minute for those who were on the back up list." No way to tell how this worked, but giving them every benefit of the doubt, this could have been a group at the top of the list.

So from the information we've got so far, maybe this was handled pretty fairly. It looks like that could be consistent with what was said in all the quotes above :confused:

If anybody knows of anyone from the bottom of the list getting a green para2, then that shoots down all my assumptions and suppositions :(

There was no special group, or priority at all. It was a free for all frenzy. For example I didn't get an email at all, all I did was just email the store out of curiosity, anyway they kindly told me that at 9 AM central time, today, any and all people who ask to be put on the back up list would have a chance to buy the green para 2 again and only 1 this time.
The only reason I got one was because I woke up at 8:30 AM central and hung out until 8:59 then started refreshing the page like a mad man. And it literally went from sold out, to in stock, to sold out in about 120 seconds. By the time I was done checking out and ordered it they were all gone. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.

I joined the back up list a week or two before the knife dropped and I understand why they would do it this way instead of just going through a list, but at the same time I understand why a list would be preferable. also I don't know if they even emailed anyone.

When I was checking out the website crashed before I could complete the order and I had to restart.

The problem with doing it that way is its like asking for your website to get flooded hard.

I'd imagine that some people on the back up list had canceled and spent the funds elsewhere and would have maybe made the prioritizing a little harder. But honestly it's never safe to assume that a company will follow your standards or some basic rule of thumb, it's always good to inquire thoroughly.
shaolinbill

Post by shaolinbill »

Spoke to Roger from KW this afternoon. His head was spinning from unhappy campers chewing him out over the release of a few dozen green PM2s. Yes, it was totally "first come - first serve" with notification given only to those on the back order list. Since, I was one of the lucky shoppers from the back order list who scored, thank you KW.

But, seriously, you can see how some people were upset with the slow server and the two minute close out. Flip a coin - just luck.

Honestly, I do think that Roger deserves the benefit of the doubt. He did not profiteer which as a businessman he could have. He sold this batch of knives for $139 when they are going for twice that amount ++ on Ebay.

And, all may not be lost for the persistent. Roger told me that there were still about 80+ buyers who had made deposits but as of today had not completed their purchases - so - some of those will eventually trickle out to the world from Louisiana.
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

shaolinbill wrote:
He sold this batch of knives for $139 when they are going for twice that amount ++ on Ebay.
This is true, They limited them to one per person and I was expecting a much higher price myself upon the second release just from a clear business point of view based off the prices they are going for. I would have not been so kind in his shoes. ( at least 180 come on! ) No one can really complain at that. That alone has secured my future business with this man.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

shaolinbill wrote:Spoke to Roger from KW this afternoon. His head was spinning from unhappy campers chewing him out over the release of a few dozen green PM2s. Yes, it was totally "first come - first serve" with notification given only to those on the back order list. Since, I was one of the lucky shoppers from the back order list who scored, thank you KW.

But, seriously, you can see how some people were upset with the slow server and the two minute close out. Flip a coin - just luck.

Honestly, I do think that Roger deserves the benefit of the doubt. He did not profiteer which as a businessman he could have. He sold this batch of knives for $139 when they are going for twice that amount ++ on Ebay.

And, all may not be lost for the persistent. Roger told me that there were still about 80+ buyers who had made deposits but as of today had not completed their purchases - so - some of those will eventually trickle out to the world from Louisiana.
This whole thing has probably been a big headache for KW! I'm sure they had more than a few disgruntled customers that prepaid then called them due to the long wait, then getting 700 knives in all at once and having to track down people that paid over a year ago but had changed addresses, credit cards out of expired etc.. Then all the complaining about how they did the backup list. More than I would want to deal with.

It wouldn't surprise me if KW changed the way they do preorders, as in no preorders at all and they want list it as available on their website until they have the knife in hand. That would eliminate 90% of the headaches.

Also Kudos to KW for not taking advantage of the situation and selling them at the price they are going for on the aftermarket :cool:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

shaolinbill wrote: Honestly, I do think that Roger deserves the benefit of the doubt. He did not profiteer which as a businessman he could have. He sold this batch of knives for $139 when they are going for twice that amount ++ on Ebay.
Philo Beddoe wrote:This whole thing has probably been a big headache for KW! I'm sure they had more than a few disgruntled customers that prepaid then called them due to the long wait, then getting 700 knives in all at once and having to track down people that paid over a year ago but had changed addresses, credit cards out of expired etc.. Then all the complaining about how they did the backup list. More than I would want to deal with.

(snip)

Also Kudos to KW for not taking advantage of the situation and selling them at the price they are going for on the aftermarket :cool:

Absolutely, totally, strongly agree. This is one of those situations where, basically regardless of how you handle the situation, you are going to have tons of people really angry about the situation.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Well whatever the case, why not place an order for a secondary run of these? :D
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
SDR

Post by SDR »

JNewell wrote:Absolutely, totally, strongly agree. This is one of those situations where, basically regardless of how you handle the situation, you are going to have tons of people really angry about the situation.
No. That's not true. If they had just given those of us who had waited on their stand-by list an opportunity to buy them in the order that we asked to be on the stand-by list they could have avoided what occurred this morning. I am sure that many of the ones that were purchased this morning were purchased by flippers who were never on a stand-by list. There was nothing fair about the way it went down this morning! After waiting more than a year on the supposed stand-by list I responded immediately to my notification from Ashley on Tuesday, informing her that I wanted to pay for my knife right then and there. Instead, I was invited to attend the cluster-pluck this morning. And it was indeed a stampede that took place on a website that had melted in the first few seconds. I'm not going to re-live my experience again, here, but what happened on their website this morning was very wrong! Period!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I have to give praise to KW. They told me i was one of the oversold folks and was not going to get one as my order went in to late (even though i was right there hammering refresh right as it opened). I had already made peace with it and even posted here that i was not going to get one. Win some, lose some. Then a few hours ago i get a shipping notification from KW. Logged into KW and it shows a tracking number next to my Green para order! SWEET! Looks like someone really does like me :D

JD
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

SDR wrote:No. That's not true. If they had just given those of us who had waited on their stand-by list an opportunity to buy them in the order that we asked to be on the stand-by list they could have avoided what occurred this morning. I am sure that many of the ones that were purchased this morning were purchased by flippers who were never on a stand-by list. There was nothing fair about the way it went down this morning! After waiting more than a year on the supposed stand-by list I responded immediately to my notification from Ashley on Tuesday, informing her that I wanted to pay for my knife right then and there. Instead, I was invited to attend the cluster-pluck this morning. And it was indeed a stampede that took place on a website that had melted in the first few seconds. I'm not going to re-live my experience again, here, but what happened on their website this morning was very wrong! Period!
What makes it "your" knife? Unless you work @ KW and had seen the list in person you have no clue if it was "your" knife or not. I bet you wouldn't be here whining/crying in your beer if you had of gotten one this morning.

Also where on the KW website did it say the BU list would be done a specific way?? Oh thats right it didn't. You were promised NOTHING other than you were on the BU list. They made no special promises to you or anyone else about how they would handle it. The real problem is here is you assumed you would be given special treatment just because you got on it in a certain timeframe. Its their business and it was their choice about how to do the BU list. Not yours. If you don't like how KW is operated maybe you can go buy it and run it how you see fit.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

SDR wrote:No. That's not true. If they had just given those of us who had waited on their stand-by list an opportunity to buy them in the order that we asked to be on the stand-by list they could have avoided what occurred this morning.
I don't recall seeing anything on their website stating that they had a wait list or that they had a policy of notifying each person in order of their request. It seems to me that the "wait list" was a courtesy email to those that requested it, and it would have been a nightmare going through all the emails over the past year and a half to see who emailed first and then contact each person individually and wait for a response. Maybe some folks put policy expectations on KW that they never promised and now are pissed that it didn't work out the way they wanted.

Maybe it wasn't fair, but I think KW did the best they could with a difficult situation.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

But the process would have been dragged out over weeks, maybe months, if they gave each person a "fair" time period to respond to phone and email outreach.

I bet you're 100% wrong about flippers in this one case - they didn't have time to find the knife...and if they were on the waiting list and flip it, that's just life.

Honestly, it may have been messed up - or it may not have been - but whatever else it was, it wasn't "wrong."
SDR wrote:No. That's not true. If they had just given those of us who had waited on their stand-by list an opportunity to buy them in the order that we asked to be on the stand-by list they could have avoided what occurred this morning. I am sure that many of the ones that were purchased this morning were purchased by flippers who were never on a stand-by list. There was nothing fair about the way it went down this morning! After waiting more than a year on the supposed stand-by list I responded immediately to my notification from Ashley on Tuesday, informing her that I wanted to pay for my knife right then and there. Instead, I was invited to attend the cluster-pluck this morning. And it was indeed a stampede that took place on a website that had melted in the first few seconds. I'm not going to re-live my experience again, here, but what happened on their website this morning was very wrong! Period!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:Well whatever the case, why not place an order for a secondary run of these? :D
The distributor absolutely could do this. You think things are ugly now??? :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

This knife is just full of bad juju. Just send all yours to me for proper disposal.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. I was on the "courtesy wait list." Yes. I was notified a couple of days ago. Yes. I contacted KW the moment I was notified. Yes. I was told that I would have to wait until Thursday morning. Yes. I was there the very instant that they became available this morning. Yes. I had one in my cart. Yes. I got a server error when I tried to pay for it. Yes. I tried again and the second time 8 knives showed up in my cart upon checkout for a total of $1119.00 Yes. I updated my cart to reflect only one knife. Yes. Their server was running slow as molasses. Yes. I had one knife in my cart when I hit submit for the payment. Yes. My page refreshed and suddenly I had zero knives in my cart. No. I did not get a knife! Yes. I am extremely disappointed!

Unless you were on KW's website at 8 am this morning to experience that meltdown firsthand then perhaps you should just zip it!

I am always amazed when unaffected people jump in to defend the indefensible.

Cheers! Life goes on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:This knife is just full of bad juju. Just send all yours to me for proper disposal.

Maybe...didn't we go through all the same stuff with the orange XHP P2 sprint, though (with the exception of the waiting list)???