Knife Works Para2 up for preorder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

This sounds like throwing meat out to a bunch of starving dogs to me. I'll bet KW will have better planning on the next exclusive run ,,,,, if there is one.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SDR wrote:Yes. I was on the "courtesy wait list." Yes. I was notified a couple of days ago. Yes. I contacted KW the moment I was notified. Yes. I was told that I would have to wait until Thursday morning. Yes. I was there the very instant that they became available this morning. Yes. I had one in my cart. Yes. I got a server error when I tried to pay for it. Yes. I tried again and the second time 8 knives showed up in my cart upon checkout for a total of $1119.00 Yes. I updated my cart to reflect only one knife. Yes. Their server was running slow as molasses. Yes. I had one knife in my cart when I hit submit for the payment. Yes. My page refreshed and suddenly I had zero knives in my cart. No. I did not get a knife! Yes. I am extremely disappointed!

Unless you were on KW's website at 8 am this morning to experience that meltdown firsthand then perhaps you should just zip it!

I am always amazed when unaffected people jump in to defend the indefensible.

Cheers! Life goes on.
You should have bought all 8 and flipped them for $300 each. I bet a lot of people would have defended your right to do that. :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You should have bought all 8 and flipped them for $300 each. I bet a lot of people would have defended your right to do that. :D
Ripping people off with the free market banner held up high like a holy cross. :D

Price gouging is not a synonym of capitalism. ;)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FCM415 wrote:Ripping people off with the free market banner held up high like a holy cross. :D

Price gouging is not a synonym of capitalism. ;)
I guess some people equate price gouging with freedom too. :D
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:i guess some people equate price gouging with freedom too. :d
freeeeeeeeddooooommmmmm!!!!!!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I guess some people equate price gouging with freedom too. :D
With gusto!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

FCM415 wrote:With gusto!
and peanut butter?

(amidoinitrite?)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Capitalism? Is that what city hall is calling it now daze? Every time I get my tax bill I'm reminded they are the king of capitalist :mad:
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Clip wrote:Interesting you said it was quite short. When I called last week asking them to verify my name on the list from last year sometime, they told me it was over 200 people long.
When I said quite short, I was pertaining to the wait. I knew that they were going to release all they had left on June 13 8am CST.
Donut

Post by Donut »

In my opinion, they should do a second run, but the collectors and flippers complain a lot when that happens.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Has anyone seen the horse? I think we may have beaten it into a parallel dimension.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Kw should stay away from sprints. It was handled horribly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

linuxology wrote:Kw should stay away from sprints. It was handled horribly.
It was a dealer exclusive not a sprint and I think KW has handled the situation as best they could. The delay (IMO) caused alot of the tensions and harsh feeling being unjustly cast on Knifeworks. I'm sorry not every person whom wanted this didn't get one, but it happens. I think people should point their crosshairs on a different target when looking to place blame.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:In my opinion, they should do a second run, but the collectors and flippers complain a lot when that happens.
That is so sad...
linuxology wrote:Kw should stay away from sprints. It was handled horribly.
The scramble for the knives was what complicated the handling and made it what it was.

Previous sprints weren't as drama loaded as this one and most of the drama just happened after the sprints turned up in the secondary market at inflated prices. In a way we can blame the speculators for driving the market crazy.

How long the the prices on the S90V military remain reasonable on the secondary market when was first released? The secondary market wasn't so crazy back then.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Has anyone seen the horse? I think we may have beaten it into a parallel dimension.
LOL! This thread needed a little comedy. this is good stuff.

JD
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Thank you Roger C. and Spyderco for this piece. The build quality is excellent.
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Have to say I like what Bento Box Shop has done with their M390 exclusive. I recall there was a lot of complaining about the supposedly high price back when, but now that they are looking at a third round of the blue M390 Para2, I think they might have the right business model.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

The only problem I have is how KW handled the backup list. They should have walked through the list first instead of releasing it free for all. What was the point of the backup list if you were just going to sell the remainder to the public in a first come first serve basis. Sheeeeesh!!! :mad:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

shunsui wrote:Have to say I like what Bento Box Shop has done with their M390 exclusive. I recall there was a lot of complaining about the supposedly high price back when, but now that they are looking at a third round of the blue M390 Para2, I think they might have the right business model.
Yep, I already suggested that in a couple threads.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

DougC-3 wrote:Looks like at least some people got an "email a few days ago" "announcing availability in the store." I have to assume they were available "in the store" only for people on the backup list.
I was on the backup list for 14 months. I got an email 2 days ago and I was real happy, then I started wondering how it was going to be handled and realized it was going to be a free-for-all. In reality they released the available knives to the whole world, there was nothing in the process that kept anybody with an internet connection from buying one.

I was on their website about 7:45 this morning in order to be sure that I was logged in and to try to find out where on the website they would be released. They had the GPM2 as a normal product on their website, but out of stock. So at 8 they just entered the number that they had in stock and let it run. Somewhere between 7:50 and 7:55 the website become overwhelmed and it would take 30 seconds or more to refresh. Actually about 8:02 real time is when they became in stock. I hit "check out" immediately, and started navigating through the multitude of screens to check out, probably 5 or 6 different screens. I already had my shipping info. entered so I was just hitting "next" time after time. When I entered the credit card number and hit submit, I started getting server errors. It took about 11 minutes to get to this point. After the server error there were no more to be had so I had to give up.

There are lots of disgruntled people that were hoping to buy one of the knives and I'm one of them. I see a few people that are defending KW, I think those people are the ones that already got their knives, maybe they are the flippers. I'm just going to have to disagree with them and leave it at that.

I'm really interested in the possible upcoming Manix sprint but I don't have any faith in KW's selling procedures. I would search for the S30V version but they have proven impossible to find so far, or I'll buy a substitute like a ZT0200.