Knife Works Para2 up for preorder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The green is likely the same as the southfork...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Cheddarnut wrote:The green is likely the same as the southfork...
The South Fork is micarta, though, right?

TedP
Clip

Post by Clip »

Yeah, I'd thought the Southfork's handle was micarta; it'd be tough to reproduce the exact color across two materials.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Clip wrote:Yeah, I'd thought the Southfork's handle was micarta; it'd be tough to reproduce the exact color across two materials.
Nope it's G-10
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:The South Fork is micarta, though, right?
TedP
MachSchnell wrote:Nope it's G-10
+1 G10 it is
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=763
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
angusW

Post by angusW »

I've heard that Spyderco doesn't like using Micarta anymore but the handle on the South Fork, even though G-10, does have a Micarta look to it. If the Green Para 2 had a handle like the South Fork, colour and grain, then I would be happy with that.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

angusW wrote:I've heard that Spyderco doesn't like using Micarta anymore but the handle on the South Fork, even though G-10, does have a Micarta look to it. If the Green Para 2 had a handle like the South Fork, colour and grain, then I would be happy with that.
Sal told me at OKCA that they have had problems with expansion and contraction of micarta in the past and with a current prototype - I think he was referring to the upcoming Caly Jr. sprint.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Darn! I thought we had news about the green para already...
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I was hoping to have mine in hand in summer. Now I wish at least Christmas will bring a green surprise.
However, I trust Sal and his team not to launch the run before every bug has been cared about. It will be a knife that hasn´t seen its kind. I will be glad to have it, am even more fond of getting it since it is taken care of, no matter how long the delay will be.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I think Knifeworks and/or Spyderco owe the people that put down $16,000 worth of non-refundable deposits on these knives some kind of credible delivery schedule and some sort of explanation.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Spook410 wrote:I think Knifeworks and/or Spyderco owe the people that put down $16,000 worth of non-refundable deposits on these knives some kind of credible delivery schedule and some sort of explanation.
Please tell me this is humor? I didn't see the smiley face. I know of lots of people who would eagerly take over your preorder.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Yea just be grateful that you managed to get in on the pre-order, and when these drop you're only likely to find them at msrp and when that supply runs low it will jump even higher.

Isn't there a saying... you cant rush perfection?
I'm sure it will be in our hands by Christmas, and hopefully I didn't just jinx it :p .
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Humor? Afraid not. It's a business. They are making a profit. They are not doing anybody a favor. They owe us an update.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

While I would appreciate an update on my preorder, I don't agree that Spyderco or Knifeworks "owe" us one. I'd rather they take the time they need to get them right, as long as it takes.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Spook410 wrote:Humor? Afraid not. It's a business. They are making a profit. They are not doing anybody a favor. They owe us an update.
I know that waiting can get to be a bit tough. I waited almost a year on a Manix LW and the night before
it was available, I had spent almost 2K on a very sick dog. (It makes me sick thinking about it, but I love
my animals)

I think that this is just part of the game with pre-orders. I don't think that they "owe" an explanation,
maybe one would be nice though. This is one reason that I rarely go the pre-order route. Many people
would kill (so to speak) for that pre-order, so it will all work out.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Spook410 wrote:Humor? Afraid not. It's a business. They are making a profit. They are not doing anybody a favor. They owe us an update.
I have a better idea. Let's get a class action lawsuit started. Even if we don't get the full purchase price maybe we can kill 'em with lawyers fees. After all, Spyderco and KnifeWorks are both known for their complete disregard for their customers.

Not... :rolleyes:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Spook410 wrote:They are not doing anybody a favor.
They are doing me a favor.

$20 times 800 is $16,000, but Knifeworks is taking a financial responsibility for say $100 times 800 or $80,000. They are taking a risk to bring me a knife that would otherwise not be available to me.

I always think that the person who is willing to lay down $80,000 for an exclusive run... can make all of the decisions. My $20 is like a drop in the ocean.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You could always not put the $20 down and just pay over $200 on eBay. That would be way more awesome :) .
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:You could always not put the $20 down and just pay over $200 on eBay. That would be way more awesome :) .
Have a feeling this one's not going to stop @ $200 when it hits the resale market. :eek:
Slash

Post by Slash »

JNewell wrote:Have a feeling this one's not going to stop @ $200 when it hits the resale market. :eek:
Ebay will be happy with that 10% cut they take.