H-1 steel destined for greater deployment...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Highlander8

H-1 steel destined for greater deployment...?

Post by Highlander8 »

I just received a SpyderEdge Atlantic Salt H-1, the first of two recent orders from this unique series of knives (Dragonfly should arrive next). The H-1 steel is remarkably sharp out of the box, and though it dulls more quickly than, say, S30V, the stuff is also quite easy to sharpen. I like this knife very much; its lightness is a plus for everyday carry, while the rust-proof blade provides genuine peace of mind in lousy conditions, where a fellow just can't help getting wet. Finally, the high-visibility yellow FRN handle certainly makes this folder stand out among my almost uniformly black collection....

Gentlemen of the forum: do any among you well-connected insiders know if Spyderco intends to use the rust-proof H-1 steel in something resembling a premium knife, with proper liners and a pivot-point adjustment screw?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure on many of your questions. The newer knives have adjustable pivots as a rolling change.

H1 is mostly a working steel. Making other components rust proof while controlling costs is the main problem.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

The spyderedge h1 will hold an edge longer than s90v. It's the plain edge that dulls a bit more quickly
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I remember reading that H-1 is used only on knives that are 100% rust-proof. That would include: blade, liners, screws, lock, pivot, clip, lanyard tube, washers, standoffs, etc...

I don't see it being used on a premium knife unless all of the above mentioned components are made rust-proof as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Wouldn't be much point in a rust proof blade if the pivot's just gonna rust off LOL. I think it can be done though... titanium sounds like a good candidate. Or just go fixed blade.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Really doubt Spyderco will build one the way you suggest, for the reasons already mentioned. You could hunt around for a Mariner Salt, it's the closest thing to a premium H-1 knife, although it lacks an screw pivot. Your other alternative would be to have someone rebuild one of the Salt series for you. This Atlantic has ti liners and backstrap, a modified tip, and stabilized birdseye maple scales.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I think Sal commented on another thread about the H-1 and how it must be designed "from the ground up" Most other metals don't fare too well in saltwater. If you can use a fixed blade, the Aqua Salt is a thing of beauty. They are becoming harder to find but still available. Paul you sure have some beautiful knives. :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Highlander8 wrote: Gentlemen of the forum: do any among you well-connected insiders know if Spyderco intends to use the rust-proof H-1 steel in something resembling a premium knife, with proper liners and a pivot-point adjustment screw?
Clovisc and I have been lobbying for this for some time. Jason made some specific design suggestions and I contributed a name, "Salish Salt", from the Salish Sea which is Puget Sound and surrounding waters. No indication from Spyderco yet of a premium H-1 folder.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:Clovisc and I have been lobbying for this for some time. Jason made some specific design suggestions and I contributed a name, "Salish Salt", from the Salish Sea which is Puget Sound and surrounding waters. No indication from Spyderco yet of a premium H-1 folder.
It was our mutual friend Clovisc who originally lobbied for the H-1 Spyderhawk that did come to fruition thank GOD.>> I was amazed that Spyderco went ahead and reintroduced the Spyderhawk in H-1. I'm now EDCing my SE H-1 Spyderhawk since I lost my old favorite standby G-10 Harpy.

H-1 truly has a multi-faceted potential for all kinds of specialty cutlery. So far I'm very pleased with the H-1 Spyders that I own and use. And by the way I don't have any H-1 collector pieces>> they are all EDC blades that I rotate from time to time. H-1 is truly meant to be used and used hard. It's potential is going to go in many different directions.

Personally at the very top of my H-1 want list would be a full or medium sized Dyad model with a yellow G-10 handle. I also want a new C-44 Dyad in one of the new super steels as well but an H-1 Dyad would really be a "user's dream folder"
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Highlander8

Post by Highlander8 »

"The newer knives have adjustable pivots as a rolling change": very interesting development!
Highlander8

Post by Highlander8 »

Superb knife, Deacon--thank you for posting this fine image!
Highlander8

Post by Highlander8 »

Bless your hearts for pushing the mother-ship in the right direction; which is to state that your efforts are most appreciated, Sequimite.
Highlander8

Post by Highlander8 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I remember reading that H-1 is used only on knives that are 100% rust-proof. That would include: blade, liners, screws, lock, pivot, clip, lanyard tube, washers, standoffs, etc...

I don't see it being used on a premium knife unless all of the above mentioned components are made rust-proof as well.
Right, and that would make the result quite costly...; but do you think that Spyderco would consider building a $200-$300 special edition, with all of your necessary component parts made from H-1, or would this produce a prohibitively expensive knife?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Highlander8 wrote:Right, and that would make the result quite costly...; but do you think that Spyderco would consider building a $200-$300 special edition, with all of your necessary component parts made from H-1, or would this produce a prohibitively expensive knife?
Nothing is impossible but a knife of that fancy-tude in H1 is probably less likely than some.

As a baby step I think seeing a g10 Salt would be a step in the right direction. No titanium nested liners or anything, just simple G10 and lockback components. FRN works amazing but some might be willing to pay a tad more for something that feels a bit more classy.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Personally, I'd love to see a UKPK FRN in H1 ... there haven't been any H1 non-lockers yet :) I do a bit of beach-combing and it would be nice to be able to take a Spydie down and use it without worrying about rusting-out the internals.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The other factor working against a premium H-1 model, IMHO, is that H-1 is at its best when serrated, and Spyderco has found that higher end serrated knives sell very poorly.
Paul
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Highlander8 wrote:Right, and that would make the result quite costly...; but do you think that Spyderco would consider building a $200-$300 special edition, with all of your necessary component parts made from H-1, or would this produce a prohibitively expensive knife?
I'm not following you. How is it that Salts sell at similar prices to their VG-10 counterparts if they have to be prohibitively expensive?

That would indicate to me that a custom design would cost about the same as an equivalent VG-10 custom design.

The only negtive issue I can see is that the tendency for H-1 blades to scratch might be more of a turn off in a higher priced knife.

Endura - $104.95

Pacific Salt - $109.95
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sequimite wrote:I'm not following you. How is it that Salts sell at similar prices to their VG-10 counterparts if they have to be prohibitively expensive?

That would indicate to me that a custom design would cost about the same as an equivalent VG-10 custom design.

The only negtive issue I can see is that the tendency for H-1 blades to scratch might be more of a turn off in a higher priced knife.
Think you're leaving out the "R&D factor" All the Salt folder used existing handles and blade shapes and cost approximately the same as their VG-10 counterparts. OTOH, look as how much less expensive the Schempp Rock is compared with the Rock Salt. Am sure that's not a totally fair comparison either, my gut tells me there have to be other factors at work, but some of it has to be differences in material and labor costs.
Paul
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The H1 steel and supporting Salt hardware have to be more expensive than the equivalent VG10 model. Otherwise it would be far cheaper.

As Paul said they use older molds which have had time to pay themselves off. Also, Salt models lack liners and FFG treatment which adds to material and labor costs. Your picture even shows extra attachment points and tapped holes for 4-way clip mounting.

This isn't to say a Pacific Salt isn't just as good of a knife as an Endura4. Just differences that add up.
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

i love the idea of a ukpk in h1 make it leaf shape would be a dream come true.