Got this today :D

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rg02

Got this today :D

Post by rg02 »

My Dad surprised me today :D with this:

The strop block from Knivesplus. I am very impressed so far. My first official stop. Prior to this I have been using cardboard box edges and cereal boxes lol.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I love stropping as the final step. no more card board strops for you :)
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have yet to use a strop myself. Looks good. Looking forward to more info on its use.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Congrat's you are definitely ready for the "cutting edge" I use my strop all the time. I guess different strokes for different folks. I like to put mine on the edge of our ironing board. It's at a good height and being lined up with the outside edge allows me to keep a constant angle when I strop. These things really do make a big diffence in the sharpness of a blade. Even on new knives I see a considerable improvement even after just a few strokes. You're fortunate to have a dad that will give you such nice gifts. I'm going to the range with my son tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Gratz on the strop. I love my strops. I even have a 14u strop that sharpens almost as well as the UF rod but doesn't mar the polished bevel.

Post by 1623 »

Nice surprise man! The KP strop is very well made.

I'm using the exact same set up that you have pictured and I'm really enjoying it...just need to add the Diamond rods to my Sharpmaker.

Enjoy your new gear.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Just got done touching up and stropping my xhp Millie after using it today notching out quarter round to finish trimming my wood floor in my family room. First off, XHP is awesome! It still sliced phone book paper after trimming quarter round all afternoon! But being anal about my spydie sharpness, I touched it up and finished on my new strop. It not only shaves hair, but also shaves short coarse whiskers. A priority mail box flap and cereal box strop worked dang good before, but this Knivesplus strop takes it to another level! I am sure I will only get better stropping with it as time goes by too! For $20 you cannot go wrong!!! Now, my 10x bausch&laumb loupe needs to get here!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

congrats Ryan, Thats a great gift!
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
rg02

Post by rg02 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I have yet to use a strop myself. Looks good. Looking forward to more info on its use.
I never understood all of this stropping talk, but after I saw a YouTube video of jdavis882 using a strop I was interested. I then found another video of a guy using a usps cardboard box flap as a cheap strop. Then I was told by a board member here to strop on a cereal box. I thought the SM and ending on the UF stone was good. The cardboard strops made a difference and this new Knivesplus strop is freakin amazing. You gotta get one!
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

INFRNL wrote:congrats Ryan, Thats a great gift!
Thanks bud! :D

You should get one!
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

rg02 wrote:My Dad surprised me today :D with this:

The strop block from Knivesplus. I am very impressed so far. My first official stop. Prior to this I have been using cardboard box edges and cereal boxes lol.
Was just about to order one myself from KnivesPlus. Some sort of bag or case come with it?
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Comes in a fitted ziploc bag. Packed in foam peanuts and shipped in a flat rate priority USPS box. The ziploc bag is somewhat heavy duty so it works well to store it in.....
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I really need to get one. I think you just pushed me over the edge. (pun intended)

Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

The Knives Plus strop block is just plain awesome. I love mine and went through some of my users and stropped them while sitting in my recliner earlier today. Strops are indispensable.

Post by 5.56 »

Nice

A good strop is a must

-Rob

Knuckle dragger
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Congrats on the strop :) With that and the loupe you will become even more of an edge nut ;) :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

rg02 wrote:My Dad surprised me today :D with this:

Good for your dad. I had the knivesplus strop and love it. One great thing about it is you never need compound. Just rub some olive oil on it from time to time. My son has it now and uses it all the time. I believe it is the best strop for the money I've seen.
KardinalSyn wrote:I have yet to use a strop myself. Looks good. Looking forward to more info on its use.
Kardinal, I understand wanting a lot of info on something before buying. However, in this case I think you should get the knivesplus strop today. It is a very good strop and only costs about $20 I think. I only say this because I am SO SURE about the benefit of strops when used properly. No matter how sharp you are getting your knives now the strop will get them sharper. Of course for a strop to be benificial the knife has to be very sharp already. A strop is a fine tuning tool, NOT to replace stones.

Other than the knivesplus strop you have other options. Buy a more expensive one and some compound (I use DMT diamond paste) to "charge" the leather with. Or, you can buy some leather and glue it to a piece of wood the size of your choice and "charge" it with a good compound. That's what I did and now I have a few different sizes, grits along with cow hide and horse hide. You can get enough leather to make a few strops for less than $20. Compound comes in various forms and prices.

Jack
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm intrigued by this knivesplus strop. What kind of grit does it have? Currently using a Chicago strop with 2u diapaste and my edges come out quite nice especially when I'm in the "groove".

Going to have to look up this strop if I can :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:I'm intrigued by this knivesplus strop. What kind of grit does it have? Currently using a Chicago strop with 2u diapaste and my edges come out quite nice especially when I'm in the "groove".

Going to have to look up this strop if I can :)
Funny thing about the strop is it didn't have an advertised grit. From my limited experience I'd say something like 6 micron. I think that strops will differ in texture that makes as much difference as the grit. It's nice though, only needs olive oil to recharge it. I called knivesplus about it a few years ago and some girl told me they have been using the same strop on their bench for a long long time.

http://www.knivesplus.com/KP-STROP8-STROPBLOCK.html

Jack
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Dads are awesome! Congrats!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/