We're back.... Report Issues Here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Looking good to me Kristi - well done to all the techs there who made the transition so seemless!

You probably already saw these but this is just what I spotted:
- Smilie choice box missing - I see this is a well-known one
- Quick Reply - can this be made visible without having to hit the "Reply to Thread" button?
- The font size of the user's names seems to be very small
- I would not bold the text under the user's name (keep it normal font), so that it isn't as prominent and distracting.

:)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hopefully this will help with the smilies until they get things worked out:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
bchan

Post by bchan »

Hello Jay_Ev, how do you make the dancing banana thing at the bottom of your post?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

bchan wrote:Hello Jay_Ev, how do you make the dancing banana thing at the bottom of your post?
That isn't actually a smilie, it's a .gif file (pic) in my signature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
RLR

Post by RLR »

Same here - Safari 5.1.3, Mac OS X.
Jay_Ev wrote:It's not remembering me when I sign in, even when I check the little box that says "remember me". (have to log in each time I visit).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RLR wrote:Same here - Safari 5.1.3, Mac OS X.
I think this is normal. What the "remember me" check box does is remember all the login IDs that have been used on that computer or whatever you use. I think the browser you use may differ in how it works. Then when you start typing the previous entries are listed for you to click on to keep from having to type them out each time. My bank has a "remember user ID" checkbox and it puts my login ID in that field automatically. When the page opens up my ID is there and the cursor is in the password box. Spyderco's forum doesn't do that, or never has for me anyway.

If anyone has had different behaviour than what I described please let me (us) know. I'd like for the ID to be there automatically.

Jack
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Wow, I'm away for a few days from the forum and things change. Guess it'll take a bit to get reoriented.

I will say that modern technology is amazing, although it does scare me a bit.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Did a large number of threads go away?
I looked for a few I follow, did a search using my user name and it shows I have not posted since 6/2010?
Is it just me?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Hot dog! The black and red web is back! Thanks!
bchan

Post by bchan »

Shakyamuni wrote:Hot dog! The black and red web is back! Thanks!
I can't see any web?
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

what was the "need" for this change?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

possibly to do witht he old forum not being supported by vbulliten and easy to hack or something iirc
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

razorsharp wrote:possibly to do witht he old forum not being supported by vbulliten and easy to hack or something iirc
Am pretty sure that's the primary reason. Once a piece of software is no longer supported, there's a risk of it failing if you upgrade or change anything else in the system. And, once it's been off support long enough, there's the even greater danger that moving to a newer version will no longer be a (relatively) smooth and seamless project. Agency I worked for did that with one of Oracle's canned apps. We spent five years putting band-aids on something that could never be fixed, and was going to be painful in terms of both cost and labor to replace, until continuing to do so would have prevented us from making vital changes to other, even more critical, software.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Kristi, will you be posting the fixed issues? The avatar was 50x50 pixels minimum. That's small. Most pictures have more. I noticed that. Signature pixels were higher. I don't see smilies. I am typing the couple I know like this :) . Someone posted a list of how to type the smilies which I appreciated.

I'm not rushing you.

Are they fixed yet? What's keeping you? :) Just kidding. :)

One more thing. I don't see a preview post feature. I like that feature to see if pictures look good, etc.

We all appreciate the hard work. Ok, put down the donut! :) kidding agian. :)
Jack
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

bchan wrote:I can't see any web?
Oops, never mind. I saw the black and red theme and the spider, so I assumed it was the same as before.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I previously stayed logged in when I navagated away from the site without loging out. Now I seem to be logged out every time I leave the site even after clicking the "remember me" button.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pinetreebbs

Experiance with Various OS/Browsers

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Yes, I think you have to allow cookies and some users may have AV/Security/browser protection software that is now allowing it to function. I use LastPass and have it auto log me into the forum.

FWIW, the site looks great in:

Firefox, Safari and Opera on OS X

Firefox and IE 9 on Vista 64 (Yeah Vista, but with the current Service Pack) :)

Firefox and IE 9 on Windows 7 64

All instances of Firefox have NoScript installed.

I just tired:

Safari on an iPod Touch

Android default browser on a Motorola Razor

Both looked great.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Getting used to the new layout will take a few days, but I like it so far (it definitely looks better on a wide screen, for a start).

However :

1) I couldn't find a way to edit the text (bold, italics etc.).

2) when you post an image as an attachment, the image is placed at the end of the post (which is not always what you'd want). Is there any way to get around this without having to host your photos somewhere else ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm having issues staying logged in on my phone. Normally i can just check "remember me" and every time i open the Spyderco forum link it opens with me logged in even if it's after closing the browser. I've tried this with my stock Android browser, Dolphin HD and Opera.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BladePlay

Staying Logged In

Post by BladePlay »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I previously stayed logged in when I navagated away from the site without loging out. Now I seem to be logged out every time I leave the site even after clicking the "remember me" button.
That has happened to me since even before the switch with Internet Explorer. What I did to get around it was download Firefox and I stay logged in with all the forums.

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]