WhatÂ’s the next lock on the Sage series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

What’s the next lock on the Sage series?

Post by PSquared »

I might just be starting speculation a bit soon but here goes. So we’ve seen a liner lock, a frame lock, a ball lock and now a back lock.

What are the options for Sage 5?

Sliplock …. Methinks it can wait, go buy a UKPK for the moment.

Axis lock? Now that would be very interesting but I suspect unlikely. I’d be all over a Sage Spydaxis.

Phantom lock …. Possible I suppose.

So keeping the best for last …. A compression lock!! Please gentlemen (and ladies) at Spyderco hear our plea! Other than the Yo 2 (an aquired taste I think), there isn’t a 3 inch / sub 3 inch compression lock around at the moment.

I rebevelled an S on the weekend. It really is a great little knife but maybe just a tad small and the blade is a bit impractical. Fun to fidget with in boring meetings and less intimidating than a Para Military or one of the other “full size” compression lock knives. A Sage with a compression lock will stop me wanting an S with a “solid” blade ….. How about Micarta scales (we’ve had CF, Ti, G10 and wood with bolsters ….). Never mind 2, I’d take a box full of compression lock Sages and my family would be getting them as Christmas presents for the next 3 generations.

I need to go back to work and stop dreaming ………………
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal recently commented in a similar thread over on the Spyderco sub-forum on BladeForums. Based on those comments, I'd say there's a much greater chance the Sage V will not have a compression lock that that it will.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Thanks for the link Deacon. Looks like I'm going to have to dream about an S sprint with the solid blade ......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Seems to me it's a project paying homage to other innovators.

How about the Opinel Virobloc? :) Don't know how it's effected the industry but it's pretty cool considering the simplicity and time.
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Velcro?? Kidding ...... A compression lock would rock!!
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

This is a long shot because it has not been out there too long but how about the Tri-Ad lock? Very strong.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I know the patent sharks would like to disagree but in many ways the Tri-Ad is just a modified lockback. The Axis or Arc lock are far different than the CBBL/BBL.

It's a shame all the locks above (and companies) are competing so fiercely. It's probably better to focus on old designs to minimize the collateral damage.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Whatever lock, no problem, just give me CPM M4. Love the stuff, we need more CPM M4.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Blerv wrote:I know the patent sharks would like to disagree but in many ways the Tri-Ad is just a modified lockback. The Axis or Arc lock are far different than the CBBL/BBL.

It's a shame all the locks above (and companies) are competing so fiercely. It's probably better to focus on old designs to minimize the collateral damage.
Agree. It is a shame that legal crap gets in the way but that is the way it is.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Blerv wrote:Seems to me it's a project paying homage to other innovators.
+1
Agreed. Sal mentioned in the other thread that he'd like to do other locks first. He even mentioned the stop-lock as a possibility.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Didn't Sal say something about 3 locks they have in mind? Also stated the ones in mind would be better to use before they even thin about the compression lock. I do not remember his exact words, but I remember seeing the thread.

I would love to have it with compression, but it doesn't matter too much; I will end up buying them all
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

How about a Sagefly in recognition to Filipinos. Yeah!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thought I'd plug in Sal's responses:
Sal Glesser wrote:Hi Owl,

Thanx much for the kind words. I'm sure we'll make one in time, but we'd like to get the others out first. We have locks that we invented years ago that we still haven't been able to get into production (Stop-lock). We just came up with another new lock idea last month.

sal
Sal Glesser wrote:We have 3 locks being discussed. When we nail it down, we'll let you know.

sal
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

What is a Stop-Lock and how does it work??
Cheers!
araneae

Post by araneae »

The stop lock hasn't been used yet. Use the forum search and you will find several threads discussing it, and I think there are patent drawings in at least one old thread.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gull wing wrote:Whatever lock, no problem, just give me CPM M4. Love the stuff, we need more CPM M4.
I thought all the Sage series were going to be S30V leaf blades...?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:I thought all the Sage series were going to be S30V leaf blades...?
I believe that's the plan. Unless, of course, availability issues force a change or the Sage series runs long enough for something to replace S30V across the board.

As for the next lock, I have no idea of what it will be. But, given what Sal has said in the past, I'm guessing it will be one that's either attributable to a specific knife maker or at the very least has come to be strongly associated with them. Given the realities of patents, patent assignments, and other contractual agreements, I'm almost certain it will have to be one that's been around long enough for the patent to expire. The need for it to fit into the Sage platform will further narrow the field.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

I still think the Paul Axial lock would be the bomb :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I was just thinking of the other locks that were innovative and that would be the Paul lock.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.