caly 3.5 vs. mountain lion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jasonhobbs

caly 3.5 vs. mountain lion

Post by jasonhobbs »

I credit my EDC caly 3.5 with saving my 6 year old son's life last night. A mountain lion attacked outside of the restaurant at the Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend National Park. It attacked quickly and ferociously from the brush near the sidewalk, and pulled him away from my wife, into the brush near the sidewalk. I turn and ran to my son, finding the lion clamped on his face. It didn't respond to bare fist pounding, so I went for my knife and stabbed the lion in the left leg (oops, not the chest!). The blade went in easily and fully, and the lion came off my son and ran off into the woods.

That all day carry of the knife and practice drawing and snapping open that annoyed my wife so much paid off - drawing the knife and stabbing the cat seemed second nature.

Here's a couple of photos of the knife I took after getting back from the ER:

http://imgur.com/a/ZlCRj

There is coverage of the story here:

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=32368
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I hope your son is doing well, he will be in our prayers while he heals.

I'm very glad you were able to use your knife to help your son. Gives credit to the "always be prepared" mindset and lifestyle. As for the lion, I hope he did die, that way there are no other victims.

edit: Welcome to the Forum.
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

I hope your son recovers quickly, I read the article you linked to. It is unbelievable what some of the people posted as comments. I guess it was good that the article didn't mention your act of defending your son with your knife or some of the posters would be calling for your arrest, based on their thought process. You have a lot of control, I wouldn't have been able to respond so politely.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm hoping your son recovers quickly dude. Kudos on the fast and decisive action.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

first off, i hope your son heals quickly. great job on protecting him! IIRC Sal has mentioned that the temperance would be his go to knife if he encountered a mountain lion, glad to see the caly worked out as well.

edit: welcome to the forum
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm glad you both made it. I hope a speedy and full recovery for your son.

I'm surprised the article didn't give any details.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Prayers sent to your family and son!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Thank you for sharing your story. I also add my best wishes to your sons speedy recovery. I'm glad that you had the option to defend him.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

What a crazy story! I'm glad you had your knife on you and hope that your son recovers quickly! Welcome to the forums!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BAL

Post by BAL »

That is an amazing story. You are a hero in my eyes. The most important thing that I do in my life is care for and protect my family. You exemplify the the ultimate by your actions. I wish your son a speedy recovery, both physically and mentally.

It touches home for me. I have a farm in NW Missouri and have spotted a Mountain Lion on my place, although the Dep of Conservation has told me that I must be mistaken because they do not exist. Trust me, they do.

I feel even more justified in my actions now. I have carried a gun and knife for years, but after my first encounter, I make sure that my Glock, Beretta and Spyderco Military are always within hands reach and that I am prepared to use them.

Thank you for sharing. Hold true to what you believe and what you have done. Don't worry about what others may say. You have done what any good person would have done in your situation. You were brave enough and prepared enough to see it through. Your son will live a long life because of it.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Here's an article that mentions the pocket knife:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1018562
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

That's an amazing story and I wish your son a speedy recovery ! You should be very proud of yourself for your quick reaction to do whatever it took to protect your family that's what heros do! Welcome to the forum.
35:spyder:
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I hope your son recovers soon. I am glad you were brave enough and fast enough to take action and save his life :)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Glad you guys are safe.

It's nuts that the lodge isn't telling the guests that there is a big cat on the loose. I'm sure that word will spread quickly.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I hope your son will recover in a speedy and complete fashion.

I congratulate you in reacting quickly and courageously in saving your son, you are a hero. My thoughts are with your family.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I which your soon a fast recovery!!! Amazing story!! A true act of heroism!!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wow. Very glad you were prepared and your son is okay. He should be right proud of his pa.

I had a thread a while back about hearing a Cougar growl at my wife and I while walking in the woods. I had my Milli out in a flash. Never could spot it, but it was watching us and growling. My wife started to run, but I made her stay still. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaked out. We discussed whether or not a knife would help in such a situation in the thread. Very glad you're all okay. Thanks for sharing your traumatic story. Take care.

- best wishes, Jazz.
nwjavahead

Post by nwjavahead »

Hope your son recovers well and quickly. In my prayers. And yet people wonder, "why do carry a knife?"

Nwjavahead aka djordje
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Incredible story, how is your boy doing?
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

A shocking and amazing story. Big kudos to stepping up and defending your son's life against a mountain lion. I hope that he recovers quickly and fully. I just moved to Texas (Houston) and had no idea there were mountain lions in the state. That said, my primary EDC is a Caly 3.5. I'm glad it performed when you needed it. Best wishes.