Manix 2 or the para 2? Which is your favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

What dark star said, but I don't mind a knife with some weight.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

^ Yeah, Alchemy.. The weight really isn't that big of a deal for me, that's why I like ss scales ;) The lock is really the killer for me. I'm not saying it's a bad or weak lock.. It's just a bit too foreign for me.. And the Manix is a beast of a blade, no doubt about it.. I have carried both, but prefer the P2 for it's lock and, I guess concealability, as opposed to weight..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How's this for a morality bomb:

Manix2 Lightweight...boom!

2.85 oz. :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

darkstar29 wrote: P2 for it's lock and, I guess concealability, as opposed to weight..
concealability? Not sure I understand that one...
On the hunt for...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:concealability? Not sure I understand that one...
There have been posts on the Manix2 where the OP said once he put his knife in his pocket, there wasn't room for anything else. I have both knives, and the Manix2 certainly is more bulky: 1mm thicker and 5mm wider. The PM2 is a slim-line, as you know.
Although...Yeah, concealability isn't quite the term I would use.

Actually, the PM2 sticks out of the pocket almost 3/16" more than the Manix2, due to the clip location on the body of the knife.
Sonny
Roan

Post by Roan »

I own both, and I prefer the FFG manix 2 to the para 2.
The action is nicer, the lockup is more solid, the knife is a bit bulkier and fills out the hand nicer. The lock is a little harder to manipulate at first, but is a moot point as both knives have much easier locks to use one handed than a lockback or linerlock.
Also as someone pointed out, the Manix 2 is ambidextrous.

It's the ultimate EDU knife, (Every day use), Since EDC is simply not enough on it's own.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:concealability? Not sure I understand that one...
Smaller pocket profile? Easier access to the pocket? Concealability is the wrong word, agreed. And I didn't spell it right..oh well :)
Sonny wrote:There have been posts on the Manix2 where the OP said once he put his knife in his pocket, there wasn't room for anything else. I have both knives, and the Manix2 certainly is more bulky: 1mm thicker and 5mm wider. The PM2 is a slim-line, as you know.
Although...Yeah, concealability isn't quite the term I would use.

Actually, the PM2 sticks out of the pocket almost 3/16" more than the Manix2, due to the clip location on the body of the knife.
Sonny
You hit it, Sonny.. For me, the Manix2 is too big of an edc.. Takes up too much room in the pocket..too wide. I don't care about the P2 sticking up a bit. Again, concealability is the wrong word.. My bad.. But..I knew what I meant :D
and cut through the air
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I like the manix 2 , but love the para 2. Manix is a solid well built knife, but the compression lock and ergos on the pm2 make it almost perfect. The only thing about the pm2 is the tip it is very fine and could be broken off i believe. That is the only complaint with the pm2, But i will say i have used mine heavily and my tip is still fine im just saying that is the only flaw i can find with the pm2. I say get both they really are the must have spydies
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Here is my preference.
Attachments
photo(3) (Medium).jpg
photo(3) (Medium).jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I have 2 of each and I would have to say I like the Para 2 better...
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey sean,
i'm a dedicated para 1 fan, so of the two you mentioned, i like the manix better.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I have one of each and I would go for the Para 2, awesome EDC knife.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

darkstar29 wrote:
You hit it, Sonny.. For me, the Manix2 is too big of an edc.. Takes up too much room in the pocket..too wide. I don't care about the P2 sticking up a bit.
You are absolutely correct. I like my Manix2; like to play with it and pretend I'm chopping tanks in half, but I cannot close the knife as others can. I have no problems with the PM2; am very impressed with it; love to carry it.
Sonny
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

darkstar29 wrote:Smaller pocket profile? Easier access to the pocket? Concealability is the wrong word, agreed. And I didn't spell it right..oh well :)

You hit it, Sonny.. For me, the Manix2 is too big of an edc.. Takes up too much room in the pocket..too wide. I don't care about the P2 sticking up a bit. Again, concealability is the wrong word.. My bad.. But..I knew what I meant :D
Ok that makes more sense.

Though I have never found that at all. Maybe it is the brand of jeans that I wear, but I can clip the M2 to my pocket and still easily get my keys in and out, even with my fairly large hands.

Sounds like some of you guys need to stop wearing ladies pants :p :p :D :D ;) ;)
On the hunt for...
Hoffa

Post by Hoffa »

I own both and ask myself the same question often. I find both to be excellent knives, but if pressed, I might have to give a (very) slight edge to the Manix 2 just because of the way it fits *my* hand. That said, I can certainly understand why others would prefer the PM2. The beauty of collecting knives (as opposed to say cars) is that most of us can afford to have more than one.
Sonny wrote:I like my Manix2; like to play with it and pretend I'm chopping tanks in half, but I cannot close the knife as others can.
Not sure if this helps anyone, but I struggled a bit with the lock when I got my first Manix 2 before I found an easy, one-handed method that works best for me. Use the thumb and middle finger to disengage the ball lock while placing your index finger on the blade to assist closing. Hopefully these two pics will help illustrate...

Original :spyder:: Gen 1 Delica (EDC for 15+ years, now retired)
Current Favorite :spyder: Lines: Sage, Manix 2, ParaMilitary 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will take para2 over M2 anytime for the lock (hate the lock, I had few M2 and none of the was a pleasure to operate. No problem with ball lock so), less weight and size. But I will take Caly3.5 over both.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sonny wrote:Actually, the PM2 sticks out of the pocket almost 3/16" more than the Manix2, due to the clip location on the body of the knife.
Sonny
I resolved this issue on my main EDC Para2 by contacting STR and having him make a slim-line deep-carry titanium clip for the knife. It is a beauty of a thing and puts my Para2 almost entirely inside my pocket with just the top of the knife and the clip visible.

I really like the way the Para2 rides in my pocket in tip-down configuration. The spine of the blade rests against the seam of the pants and it just disappears - half the time I forget to take it out of my pocket until I'm undressing because it is so unobtrusive.

Manix = great knife. But I love the P2.

TedP
BAL

Post by BAL »

They are both great knives, it's just a personal preference thing for most. Both are solid, well built knives. I prefer the Para but you can't go wrong with either.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Wow , tough call. I'm in love with them both (Manix 2 and Para Military 2) Let me chew on this matter for a bit and get back to you.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Ok that makes more sense.

Though I have never found that at all. Maybe it is the brand of jeans that I wear, but I can clip the M2 to my pocket and still easily get my keys in and out, even with my fairly large hands.

Sounds like some of you guys need to stop wearing ladies pants :p :p :D :D ;) ;)
Oh. We got jokes, do we? :D :) No worries, bud. I'm sure you'll get yours :p :D
and cut through the air