Sometimes I wonder about E-bay bidders...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

mil wrote:i hate when sellers post hundreds of knives at starting bids higher than prices on normal websites... makes it take a lot longer to find legitimate auctions when i have to scroll through 10 pages of spam.
Yes. Thank you. Also one of my ebay peeves.

There is one seller that does this all of the time with Spyderco knives. Makes me wonder if the seller ever actually sells anything.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

cckw wrote:Couple ways to help with this, if one seller has multiple identical auctions it is against the rules so you can report him and it will get cleaned up. You can also report people for spamming key words in the title like " Spyderco Police Military Sage Native pocket knife"

I don't have a plastic badge that says "internet police", but if their violations are causing me wasted time, I'm going to take a little more time and help out the next guy as well as myself next week by reporting the crap.
The seller that does the multiple listing does not do so with the same model. They seem to list every knife in the Spyderco lineup, however.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Please, keep in the mind that e-bay is a public place and you can find there any type of people, you can see in real life:
1. people who is not using logic in their life
2. not well informed people
3. people who do not know value of money
4. drunk or stoned people
plus few more groups, who act the same way as groups above.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

WTF is the deal?

crazy bidding,they are dumb and think it is a green handle.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Wtf, that manix is going for more than what I had my blue g-10 manx 2 listed for buy it now. After a few days I pulled it, I'd probably regret selling it.
JD Spydo

Ebay: Not what it used to be

Post by JD Spydo »

If you want to see something that will tell you that something is truly rotten on ebay or any of the other auction sites for that matter just check out the buying/selling history of some of the people that bid on a certain knife.

I had one I checked on once where that particular bidder had only ever bid on clothing and kitchen type items then all of a sudden they are bidding on a Spyderco Spyderhawk or a Benchmade Rukus or something of that ilk :rolleyes:

Yeah there is still plenty of shill bidding going on. And yes you have a point observing someone bidding $10 less than the "buy it now" price.

I've pretty much quit Ebay all together. It's just not like it was back in 2002 to 2006>> back then there truly was some good deals to be had before they jacked up all the auction and Paypal fees :mad:

I've had much better luck either dealing with individuals I know or getting your stuff from reputable dealers. The days of snagging a Lil T for less than $100 are over from what I've seen. I've always had pretty decent luck on Bladeforums or any website that deals exclusively with what you're looking for. I haven't seen anything on ebay here in the past year that I couldn't get elsewhere anyway.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Good deals def. pop up on BF from time to time. Usually the deals on e-bay are the 'Buy it Now' deals where the seller doesn't know the real value, or wants to move something fast. That or they include a crummy picture so it limits bidding. I got a sweet perfect condition tan Endura 3 on the Bay last week because it was listed poorly.
gbelleh wrote:I haven't bought a knife on eBay for quite a while. I find good deals to be few and far between these days.

I find my time better spent searching BST forums.

On second thought, let's not go to eBay. It is a silly place.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

JD Spydo wrote:If you want to see something that will tell you that something is truly rotten on ebay or any of the other auction sites for that matter just check out the buying/selling history of some of the people that bid on a certain knife.

I had one I checked on once where that particular bidder had only ever bid on clothing and kitchen type items then all of a sudden they are bidding on a Spyderco Spyderhawk or a Benchmade Rukus or something of that ilk :rolleyes:

Yeah there is still plenty of shill bidding going on. And yes you have a point observing someone bidding $10 less than the "buy it now" price.

I've pretty much quit Ebay all together. It's just not like it was back in 2002 to 2006>> back then there truly was some good deals to be had before they jacked up all the auction and Paypal fees :mad:

I've had much better luck either dealing with individuals I know or getting your stuff from reputable dealers. The days of snagging a Lil T for less than $100 are over from what I've seen. I've always had pretty decent luck on Bladeforums or any website that deals exclusively with what you're looking for. I haven't seen anything on ebay here in the past year that I couldn't get elsewhere anyway.
++++++
as said above.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

bh49 wrote:Please, keep in the mind that e-bay is a public place and you can find there any type of people, you can see in real life:
1. people who is not using logic in their life
2. not well informed people
3. people who do not know value of money
4. drunk or stoned people
plus few more groups, who act the same way as groups above.
I like this!!!!

I loved ebay when they had the 25-30% bing cashback. Got some great deals
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mule-T ... _500wt_949

More than double what they cost new from SFO, and they still have them in stock :confused:

I pretty much gave up on eBay for selling blades, etc. The *eBay* fees are ridiculous and jack the prices way out of proportion. Selling on forums is great because only paying PayPal fees isn't bad at all.
JD Spydo

The GODDESS of GREED

Post by JD Spydo »

MachSchnell wrote:How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mule-T ... _500wt_949

More than double what they cost new from SFO, and they still have them in stock :confused:

I pretty much gave up on eBay for selling blades, etc. The PayPal fees are ridiculous and jack the prices way out of proportion. Selling on forums is great because only paying PayPal fees isn't bad at all.
I know exactly what you mean because at one time a little guy or gal could actually have a hobby and make a little spare change and even add pieces to your collection until the "GODDESS of GREED aka Meg Whitman" jacked up the auction fees and Paypal fees to the point where the only one making the $$ was ebay themselves :mad: . I'm so glad her magesty the Greed Goddess got whacked going for the California governor's job :D She literally destroyed what could have been a good thing for everyone involved.

Not to mention Ebay's customer service and problem resolution services were an absolute joke at best. I would like to see an auction site arise that would strictly deal with knives and related hardware and maybe survival gear only be sold on the site.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MachSchnell wrote:How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mule-T ... _500wt_949

I pretty much gave up on eBay for selling blades, etc. The *eBay* fees are ridiculous and jack the prices way out of proportion. Selling on forums is great because only paying PayPal fees isn't bad at all.
Haven't sold yet. Besides, they may be worth more because they say CRUWEAR instead of CRUWEAR. :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

The Deacon wrote:Haven't sold yet. Besides, they may be worth more because they say CRUWEAR instead of CRUWEAR. :rolleyes:
Ahhh, didn't notice that, but isn't the cause of the re-release due to heat treat issues?
BEANTOWN

Post by BEANTOWN »

Thats mest up, people need to do their research! Good for the seller though, he can now buy 2 brand new Manix's to replace the $152 used one.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Nothing's more farked up than the

***** Ultra RARE ***** - Spyderco Inc COMPANY BINDER !

Given how long it has been for sale for $179.99 (plus $14.99 for expedited shipping), I'm guessing this was/is/will remain a joke... :spyder:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
mil

Post by mil »

mikerestivo wrote:Yes. Thank you. Also one of my ebay peeves.

There is one seller that does this all of the time with Spyderco knives. Makes me wonder if the seller ever actually sells anything.
I ended up creating a saved search on ebay with the seller "classiccutleryusa" excluded. It helped a LOT.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

mil wrote:i hate when sellers post hundreds of knives at starting bids higher than prices on normal websites... makes it take a lot longer to find legitimate auctions when i have to scroll through 10 pages of spam.
Keep in mind that 10% goes to the house. If you sell a Spydie on FeeBay you almost always lose your shirt unless you account for that percentage. That's where the forums really shine. Send payments via paypal personal and you can avoid lots of fees. Even if you don't it's only 3% to paypal.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Plus, eBay can decide to withhold your payment for up to three weeks if you don't use their PayPal shipping labels, and you have less than an arbitrary number of sales. Even if you have 100% feedback and a long history as a buyer.

Just something to be aware of if you're a relatively new seller.
:bug-red-white
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

gbelleh wrote:Plus, eBay can decide to withhold your payment for up to three weeks if you don't use their PayPal shipping labels, and you have less than an arbitrary number of sales. Even if you have 100% feedback and a long history as a buyer.

Just something to be aware of if you're a relatively new seller.
It's practically impossible to make a living selling on Ebay. I did it for a while back when there was actually money to be made, but it's almost impossible now.

I don't envy anyone that tries to do it. It's bad, nearly criminal, what Ebay/Paypal requires.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

mil wrote:I ended up creating a saved search on ebay with the seller "classiccutleryusa" excluded. It helped a LOT.
That's the seller that I had in mind.