Spyderco's Warranty (Disassembling)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You are correct. However, given the number of folks who can't seem to unscrew and replace a screw without stripping the threads or mangling the head, it's only fair to warn people that if Spyderco can tell it's been taken apart, they may very well assume that whatever "problem" is being reported was a result user incompetence rather than a defect in workmanship. This would be especially true if the problem is something like a missing washer, or a spring that's installed backward.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

For me there's really no reason to diassemble, although I did so with my first Delica when I was very new :o

If an individual is capable of taking a knife apart to enhance the performance they don't really need the warranty anyway :) I'm happy there are so many very skilled folks here :)

The chances that one will have to rely on the warranty are quite small.

I agree with your interpretation of the language in the warranty. I'm thankful the vast majority of us will never have to use it :) I have bought over 60 of these things and the QC is pretty darn good :)

+1 Deacon
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Anonymous wrote:I keep seeing people post that if you take apart your knife it will be voiding the warranty. Now, unless I'm missing something doesn't it only void the warranty if the knife gets damaged from you disassembling it? So, if you were to disassemble your knife for cleaning(for example) and did not damage it in the process your warranty would still be intact. It is clear that if anyone but Spyderco repairs it the warranty will be voided but disassembly does not equal repair. I'm just curious about it as I see it posted quite often but it differs from what I'm reading on their site.
This is incorrect. Per TazKristi:
TazKristi wrote: 1st -Disassembling a Spyderco voids the warranty. Period. There was a question about this being a "myth". It is not a myth. It does not matter if you don't break anything when you do it. If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void. We manufacture knives with all screw construction not because we want you to take them apart. We do so, so our Crew can take them apart for maintenance and repair. I'm sure there might be some other questions, but bottom line, if you take your knife apart, the warranty is void.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, below is the post where Kristi clarified Spyderco's warranty policy. I took the liberty of highlighting one sentence in bold red that I think is important.
TazKristi wrote:Hey ya'll. Reading through a few different threads this morning and a couple of things popped out at me that I think need to be clarified.

1st - Disassembling a Spyderco voids the warranty. Period. There was a question about this being a "myth". It is not a myth. It does not matter if you don't break anything when you do it. If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void. We manufacture knives with all screw construction not because we want you to take them apart. We do so, so our Crew can take them apart for maintenance and repair. I'm sure there might be some other questions, but bottom line, if you take your knife apart, the warranty is void.

Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis. Every situation is different. We will always handle W&R issues in a fair and proper way. But it's important to understand the warranty as we state it, not as it's interpreted by others. There are a lot of great, knowledgeable, helpful people on our Forum. However, they cannot make a judgment on a Warranty issue. Only we can and we can only do that by having the knife in question in our hands.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Makes sense. Unless you are one of those very skilled people that don't really need the warranty, there is no reason to take the knives apart.

If you choose to do so realise that unless it is done so Spyderco can't detect it, the Warranty is void. Best option for most, don't take them apart. I believe the folks that are skilled with taking knives apart and putting them back together fully realise the ramifications.

It was a learning experience for me when I disassembled my SG Delica a couple of years ago, but at the time I realised that the warranty would be null and void and was happy with that choice.

For cleaning, don't be scared to get them wet with soap, dry them well, and relube if needed. There is really no reason to disassemble the knife :) These knives are not scared ;)
Charlie

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I just don't take the knife apart. Might tighten the pivot like I did on my M4 Military, but that is it, unless I know the knife was designed for user dissasembly like Chris Reeve's knives or other that I own.

The ability to take a knife apart is sometimes over rated. Many slip joints are still going strong. Soap, warm water, a bit of oil and elbow grease. Heck, all honesty, I barely take my Sebenza apart.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

So, reading between the lines, if you disassemble the knife and didn't cause the problem for which warranty service is required, Spyderco will probably repair the knife under warranty. I have no personal experience with Spyderco on this, but this is has been my experience with other companies. Obviously I don't speak for Spyderco...read Kristi's posts...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

JNewell wrote:So, reading between the lines, if you disassemble the knife and didn't cause the problem for which warranty service is required, Spyderco will probably repair the knife under warranty. I have no personal experience with Spyderco on this, but this is has been my experience with other companies. Obviously I don't speak for Spyderco...read Kristi's posts...
Then you have to think about how rarely this occurs. I would think the warranty is rarely or never used by a very large majority of customers. I don't think my SG Delica will have to pass the muster.

One of the reasons we buy the brand is the quality, rare slip ups in QC happen with everything, but if they do it's are pretty much evident immediately. In which case it makes no sense to disassemble the knife unless you are skilled enough to take care of it yourself.

It's all good :) I've never had to contact W&R and have the feeling that I never will. I believe this represents an extremely large proportion of the other users out there :)
Charlie

KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Okay, here's a noob question.

I want to remove a pocket clip from one of my blades. I believe it will not void the warranty. Anyone think otherwise?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dbcad wrote:For me there's really no reason to diassemble, although I did so with my first Delica when I was very new :o

If an individual is capable of taking a knife apart to enhance the performance they don't really need the warranty anyway :) I'm happy there are so many very skilled folks here :)

The chances that one will have to rely on the warranty are quite small.

I agree with your interpretation of the language in the warranty. I'm thankful the vast majority of us will never have to use it :) I have bought over 60 of these things and the QC is pretty darn good :)

+1 Deacon
That's my mentality behind it. It shouldn't take you 5 minutes to know if a knife is going to need warranty work or not. It's not like there's some kind of manufacturing defect that's going to rear its head 2 years after you bought it.

Although keep in mind, it's not hard to tell if a knife has been taken apart if you know what you're looking for...
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KardinalSyn wrote:Okay, here's a noob question.

I want to remove a pocket clip from one of my blades. I believe it will not void the warranty. Anyone think otherwise?
It will not. They wouldn't give you the freedom of a 4 way clip option if it voided your warranty. If it did i'd be absolutely shocked.
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dbcad wrote: For cleaning, don't be scared to get them wet with soap, dry them well, and relube if needed. There is really no reason to disassemble the knife :) These knives are not scared ;)

Exactly.....

No good reason to take them apart other than just wanting to take them apart and that's not a good reason.

And yeah they can tell if they have been taken apart or not. ;)

If they want to take apart or play with something then take apart their XBOX or PS3 or go out and get some leggos.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Evil D wrote:It will not. They wouldn't give you the freedom of a 4 way clip option if it voided your warranty. If it did i'd be absolutely shocked.
I also think along the same lines.

Spyderco product guide indicated that they do not apply loctite or similar to clip screws since they expect us to change the clip to our liking and apply loctite when we do. That's why I asked the question. Any more thoughts from others?

Perhaps, Spyderco might consider a FAQ section on their website under warranty section to put such questions to rest.

Practically speaking, if I dunked my PM2 in any corrosive element, I will take it apart to clean and assemble back. Should I not do so and the inner workings I can't get to rust away, it's not covered under warranty anyway. Then again, if I feel the knife is defective, I won't be using it either. Luckily, except for my SB Caly 3.5, all my other Spyderco's are just perfect as they should be.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah if you do something bad enough to a knife to hurt the performance of it, the warranty won't cover that anyway so you may as well dissect the thing and have at it. FWIW most of these knives are designed in such a genius way that they're extremely simple to take apart and put back together, especially the pillar/open construction knives.
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Should be noted that MOST of the better Companies have and or are going to similar types of warranties for various reasons. ;)

Even Strider went to that due to a lot of real issues with people (Morons, idiots) taking apart their knives. And they used to have the best warranty in the business, no questions asked and they would fix it.

Just something to think about before taking apart a knife.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

I'm not arguing, I understand that Spyderco INTENDS that the warranty be void for any dis-assembly, but I also agree with the OP's point.
According to what the warranty statement actually says :
"Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening",
then mere disassembly should not void the warranty. It does not say "disassembly voids the warranty", it says "damage CAUSED BY dis-assembly", a very significant distinction.
If no damage occured due to the disassembly, then technically and legally speaking, the warranty should still apply, going by the wording of this statement.
Again, I understand Spyderco's intent, I'm just making an academic point, based on the literal wording of the warranty statement.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's better business be liberal with disclaimers and extend grace selectively.

It's a warranty, not metaphysics. :confused: Read it and discard it if you want...just don't come crying.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I think it will depend on ea individual case whether they will cover it or not.

I had 1 knife I sent back to them for issues. I had taken the blade out and put the knife back together. They covered it under warranty. I am sure they can tell if a knife is taken apart.

Other than this, I agree that knives are not complicated and most of us would be able to fix any issues ourselves unless an actual part physically broke, ie ball cage on manix, spring on back lock, etc.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You missed this part MIL:

* Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc. unconditionally voids the knife’s warranty.

Taking something apart and puting it back together is "repairing".