First time ever sending a spydie back

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

First time ever sending a spydie back

Post by Allen R. »

I have a lot of spydercos and this is the first time i have ever had to use their warranty. I have a military that has problems, the blade has huge play vertical and side to side, even adjusting the pivot so tight where the blade is hard to open there is still play. I just got my other millie today and man is that thing sweet, seeing the quality of my newest one made me realize that my other one had big problems. I will say though I've owned alot of spydercos and this is the first time I've ever had a problem(they must be doing something right). I included a letter with the knife describing the problem, but i have carpel tunnel and even writing the letter hurt like ****, so i typed the letter and sent it via email as well. Has anyone ever had a negative expierence with spyderco warranty and repair , becuase i can't find any, but still worried, as this is a brand new knife i sent in , that does have big problems.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
angusW

Post by angusW »

I've only had to use W&R once to get some screws for my Persistence and they were great. You have nothing to worry about Allen. They will take care of you.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

i'm sending them a brand new knife i mean brand new, even if they fix it I'll never really trust the knife again, and always worry I'm gonna mess it up. Luckily I have 2 millies !
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I had to send back an original Digicam/DLC Paramilitary for serious play and was notified that they would have to replace it with a like Paramilitary 2 . I wasn't surprised and the knife I received was absolutely perfect. Great service all the way around.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bc

Post by bc »

W&R have exceeded my expectations more than once. They replaced a ladybug with a broken lock that I sent a check to repair! I get every knife back sharp like the day that I bought it. THE BEST.

Just be prepared to wait a few weeks. You are in great hands.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Allen R. wrote:i'm sending them a brand new knife i mean brand new, even if they fix it I'll never really trust the knife again, and always worry I'm gonna mess it up. Luckily I have 2 millies !
There is no way they would send you back a knife that was unsafe. They will take care of you and no worries are needed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Allen R. wrote:i'm sending them a brand new knife i mean brand new, even if they fix it I'll never really trust the knife again, and always worry I'm gonna mess it up. Luckily I have 2 millies !
One reason I prefer vendors who accept returns, and why I always pay with a credit card (i.e. ability to dispute charges). I'll be damned the day I send a brand-new item in for repair--and pay shipping both ways.
cckw

Post by cckw »

How do you justify this worry? Do you think they are stupid? dishonest? use inferior parts in the service dept? Out to screw you and only you, but on this knife but not the other Mili? Just trying to make you see there is going to be no issue with it upon return. Furthermore the people in the service dept are higher skilled then the original assembly people, so you should worry about the other one instead :D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I've sent three back to Gloden. I've always been happy when I got them back.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
Slash

Post by Slash »

Just for future reference. Hopefully I'll never need to use any knife companies warranty dept. How is the shipping fees handled by spyderco for a knife that needs repairs?

Because, I've spent less on other products that had to be sent back and the company that I sent the item to paid for the shipping via link to print out the shipping label or such.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Slash wrote:Just for future reference. Hopefully I'll never need to use any knife companies warranty dept. How is the shipping fees handled by spyderco for a knife that needs repairs?

Because, I've spent less on other products that had to be sent back and the company that I sent the item to paid for the shipping via link to print out the shipping label or such.
Its all listed on the warranty page of the main web site.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rg02

Post by rg02 »

$5 return shipping
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

My para 2 just got to golden yesterday. I had to send it in because it came with a cracked scale and the action just felt a little stiff/gritty no matter how I adjusted it. BTW, the $5 return shipping charge is only if the knife is not covered under warranty... at least according to their warranty page.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If your description of the problem is anywhere near accurate, I'm pretty sure it will be replaced, rather than repaired. Tinkering with knives is rarely cost effective for them.
rg02 wrote:$5 return shipping
Not exactly. They do ask that you send a check for $5 with the knife to cover return shipping in case the problem turns out to be something not covered under warranty (abuse, neglect, normal wear and tear, ham-fisted attempt at maintenance, cheap knock-off). If it is a warranty issue then the check is returned to you along with the repaired or, more likely, replacement knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slash

Post by Slash »

Where I read about returns it doesn't really specify who pays for shipping. If I receive a defective knife and I let them know about it within 7 days, shouldn't they eat the shipping charges?

I could understand if something happens a year later though. As well as picky customers complaining about off centered blades. But, a busted lock within a week or broke scale. I would expect them to pick up the shipping fees. If that's not the case, they should consider changing/modifying their return policy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Never used the department but have witnessed (on the forums) many people made right without a justified complain or stance than not. This doesn't even touch those with normal and understandable concerns. They really go out of their way to take care of people and the reputation makes shows.

W&R had no reason to not repair something...it's their job. People often think the manufacturer is out to screw them, this is NOT the case. I can't even recall how many people would drive their new car to our service department with the attitude we were going to rob them. Tin foil hats much? :) . Remember, most W&R/Service depts are high stress places and the workers ONLY deal with pissed off people (sometimes unrealistic) and broken things.

As constructive feedback (from only my forum browsing):

* I have heard people emailing and not getting a response for a few days. The times I've called Spyderco I was instantly met by a friendly voice. If there was a better way to ensure quick contact there would be less warranty threads which tend to look bad.

* There can be a delay. It would be great if someone emailed a case number to the recipient with updates or a loose time estimate. If this isn't done already that is.

* The wording could be more clear on the site. It took me a few reads to figure out the intent of everything. More bullet points might help.

* a FAQ would be terrific. Things like blade-play, F&F, and warranty voiding could be expanded a bit. I certainly would rather point others that way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like it's missing a washer or something...i can't imagine why else it would have that much play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David