Must... Try... To... Stop... Buying... Spydercos...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

The poison from the first bite is now part of your DNA!
Just learn to live with it - I have. ;)
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yobohadi wrote: I found that blaming Sal for this addiction does not go over well with the wife.
Resistance is futile, unfortunately. :o Believe me, I've tried. But every time I try to stop (or even slow down), I find a Spydie I "just can't live without." (Ok, so that's the line that I feed to myself to feel better). It might help to try and limit your purchases to say, once per month or even bi-weekly? This way, you can stagger your purchases more evenly and prevent unnecessary marital issues with your spouse. :D

Good luck, mate. :)

~M.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sight, a dimension of steel, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Spydie Zone" :spyder: :D
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Resistance is futile!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
racer88

Post by racer88 »

My addiction started nearly 2 years ago with the Caly 3 in CF. I planned to buy that knife as my EDC, and that would be all I need, right? Wrong! I'm at about 50 Spydies now. Every time I think I've got all the Spydies I want, they come out with another irresistible model!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Yobo, you are not alone. I recently sat down with the 2012 Spydie catalog and completed a list of wants for the year and combined it with the pre-orders I already have placed. The grand total caused me to respond exactly as you did.... there goes my gun budget for the year (maybe 2).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mr_anderson

Post by mr_anderson »

I bought my first in December of "11 now I have close to 20 :/
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

its starts with one, you use it, love it, buy one more and say thats it; you will just rotate the two, then you go to the forum because you love both so much... addiction win! :spyder:
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Spydies are a mood-enhancing drug!

It brings a smile to my face every morning when I'm getting dressed and I stand in front of my drawers of knives, deciding what to carry that day, and wishing I had more pockets :) .

I was doing OK before I found this forum, only had a couple of Spydies, first one bought back in the '80s. Then I started doing a little research for the one next knife I would get, back in 2009 - just then they released the 2009 Forum knife, and I kept reading all the posts here raving about the Caly 3, the Military, etc.

- The only cure is to turn off your computer and NEVER RETURN to any knife forum :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

When I started, I bought 18 Spydercos, and just Spydercos in less than two months.

Then I realized that enthusiasm for knives was morphing into some sort of OCD/addiction. I also went on a Victorinox binge, which, thankfully, was much easier on my wallet.

But now I'm making a real effort not to buy any more knives until I start using the ones I bought so quickly and enjoying them. Because the serial purchasing had little to do with actually using knives. It had to do with OCD.

I'm doing ok with this plan. I'll probably still buy some knives this year. But I intend to watch myself closer on it.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Spydie addicted... :p ...everybody wants to buy less knives....Good luck with dat !............. :D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

With time and money constraints it comes eventually. Rediscover the ones you haven't used nuch. It helps for me ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I am now officially on break. I tried to resist, but had to order my collectors 'R' Nishijin today. I really need to take a long break and wait for my preorders only. I have a few Spydies and BM's on order.

I will probably spend a little less time here on the forums to help avoind the addiction.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
yobohadi

Post by yobohadi »

I found one thing that is stopping me from buying more Spydies right now, I have 2 Manix 2s (translucent blue and an XL) on back order with CS... Theoretically my credit card hasn't been charged yet, but I get the satisfaction of ordering more Spydercos and have vowed not to buy any more until these are in my hot little hands. :)
Jules

Post by Jules »

PARATOM wrote:its starts with one, you use it, love it, buy one more and say thats it; you will just rotate the two, then you go to the forum because you love both so much... addiction win! :spyder:
That's true. I started with a Delica 3 which I used for years. Then I wanted an UKPK as a backup. After that a Tenacious for hard work... then a Native to try a PM steel... then... I have 10 Spydies now and already gave away several.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I'm trying to stop buying Spydies and flashlights, it's one of my new year's resolutions. Bought a flashlight since Jan. 1 for a lady friend, her first LED light. So far, so good :D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

[Start]
Maniacal Laughter
[/End]

I can quit anytime I want, I just don't want to quit. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Worse for some than others. My mailbox is unproductive of Spydies, yet today in their stead I find a welding gas bill :mad: . Mail box murder has come on my heart.
Where are my Goddards :mad: , stupid mail box.
The pain of the wait is killing me, I may have to stop buying to be free of this pain :( .
O.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

Not doing very well here... just went from 4 to 7 Spydies in just over my first month.
If I keep up that buying rate, I'll have to stop sometime... won't I?
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome and great thread title, yobohadi. I do believe that the Spyderco bug has an effect on the gun market.