Little Big Knife Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I have no doubt that the little Ladybug will meet and exceed my expectations (as it always did) :) but I still like to have a bigger knife at hand.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My Jester did a great job for the last few days. I used it when I normally would have grabbed a bigger knife. But it is definately too small to be the only knife I carry. My biggest concern is that after time I would have had to use it on jobs bigger than the Jester was intended or designed for.

The Jester will be the only knife that I always carry though because it's small enough to not be noticed as I carry it. I'll have something larger also but they will be different from day to day. There are many times a small blade is essential. One day this past week I needed a small blade to cut a small rope in a tight place and since all I had on me was the Jester it worked out perfectly. A larger blade wouldn't have fit into the area the blade had to fit into.

Jack
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Before I left to go to the beach almost 2 months ago I decided to put down my beloved Delica 4 and carry my H1 Dragonfly2. It preformed beautifully and the action remained silky smooth after many days of ocean swimming (with minimal pivot washing afterwards). The little blade was yasked with food prep and some driftwood carving as well. When I returned home I put the H1 away and started carrying the G-10. The HD Dragonfly 2 has not left me pocket since. I think I could almost put the delica away completely with this little pocket chainsaw! Thanks Sal & crew.

All cleaned up, flitzed up, touched up, stropped and razor sharp again.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

Does a Techno count?...

If it does it's been the only knife I've carried since I got it a week and a half ago.

It's a very capable blade.
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

Drifted in here to read this, great idea, I'll bring along my ZDP Ladybug starting tonight, and I've got a tan H1 LB on the way. :D (Ordered it earlier today anyway, as a self-birthday present for next weekend.)

We must be some hardcore knife knuts, stopping long enough to snap a picture of our self-inflicted knife injuries! :rolleyes:

Matt in Texas
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mattexian wrote:...We must be some hardcore knife knuts, stopping long enough to snap a picture of our self-inflicted knife injuries! :rolleyes:
Hardcore we are. I figured if I was stopping to attend to my wound, I may as well snap a picture or two. As you can see from the picture quality (or lack of), I didn't exactly set up for a quality shot.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Wow, this thread is making want a Dragonfly pretty bad!
Good to hear how all the LBK are holding up!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Deal4 wrote:Wow, this thread is making want a Dragonfly pretty bad!
Good to hear how all the LBK are holding up!
I have 3 knives on my wish list. Dragonfly ZDP is one and the only one I can afford at the moment. Not exactly true. I can't even afford it today. :( But one day though. :) Been wanting one for 3 years, just always bought something else instead. So, I think it's time to buy a knife and wonder why did I wait so long. :D

I have been amazed at how these LBK do on a daily basis. Sometimes you do need a bigger one so I always carry two. At the moment it's a Manbug and Sage4 (or GB). I need something in-between. The Chaparral (CF) is perfect but I want something that I can lay in the dirt and not feel so bad. :)

end
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

ZDP Dragonfly will be a nice addition.

This:

Is the best LBK I've used to date. It's with me daily and does anything I've asked of it.

Ken
玉鋼
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I must confess that I failed the test. Carried the Dragonfly Salt a few days. But I could not stop carrying my Millie or Tuff. So though I used the Dfly for normal work, the big guns came out for the bigger tasks.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:ZDP Dragonfly will be a nice addition.

This:

Is the best LBK I've used to date. It's with me daily and does anything I've asked of it.

Ken
How did you get your D'fly blade to bend like that? Kidding. :) I don't think I've read where anyone who bought that knife hated it. Maybe not for every day EDC (?) but definately no one said they hated it.
KardinalSyn wrote:I must confess that I failed the test. Carried the Dragonfly Salt a few days. But I could not stop carrying my Millie or Tuff. So though I used the Dfly for normal work, the big guns came out for the bigger tasks.
Me too. I took the test but always had something bigger with me. I didn't want to NOT be able to cut something because the little knife couldn't do it. I did find I could do the job with the little knife MOST of the time I would have normally gone for the big one. I'm just glad I had the bigger knife the day the terrorists attacked or they would have won. :rolleyes:

I don't think the test was for us. I think it was for the little knife. Obviously, a little knife can't handle everything. Especially for countrified, farmer rednecks. :D Joke guys, I swear! :D So, since you NEED a bigger knife sometimes doesn't mean you failed the test. Neither did the little knife. It probably did fine for cutting you usually do with the big knife, just grabbed the little one because of the test. I don't know, just thinking.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Many good knives mentioned :)

Currently I'm enthralled by the Bradley Air :D The Air and Urban in tandem are my edc carries for the immediate future :D
Attachments
air2 003.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:Maybe not for every day EDC (?) but definately no one said they hated it.
Maybe not, but it's doing exactly that with no problem at all.

Ken
玉鋼
flash900

Post by flash900 »

While I like the Dragonfly, the original Chicago and Cat, the Balance and especially my new Techno, I generally favor light over little.

I've been EDCing a yellow Salt I.

Together with the tiny but incredibly powerful EagleTac D25A (single lithion ion battery), you'll hardly notice this pair in your pocket. They're perfect for emergency use.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Love my ZDP-189 Dragonfly. Got it when I had to leave the stretch for sharpening for a week, and it performed pretty much every task just as well. Now I generally carry them both, and use the Dragonfly 90% of the time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I left the house the other day for work without my EDC...i was pretty aggravated to say the least. My trusty ZDP Ladybug saved the day as usual.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpyderNut wrote: (Technically, we are not allowed to carry any “weapons” (i.e. “knives”) on work property. Because of this, I am only able to carry the smallest of knives possible).
In your position I would carry a big Leatherman tool of some sort. After all it is a TOOL, not a weapon.

(Actually I would probably look for a different job.)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Tdog wrote:I definitely down for this. With rg02's post about IWB carry, it free's up a pocket for another Spydie.
I haven't seen it done that way before but it looks great, I'll have to try it!

As for relying on a LBK, it's not going to happen for me and I'm not even going to try it. I already carry the smallest knife that I'm willing to get by with and that is something on the order of a Para 2 or Tenacious! For awhile I carried a knife with a 3" blade by another company whose initials are Benchmade, but then I decided I wanted bigger knives so that's what I'm carrying now.

I bought a SE Ladybug to try out as a second knife so I carry it a lot too. I also bought a Byrd Hawkbill to try out a larger SE blade. Yesterday I was having lunch with my daughter in a fast food restaurant and we were playing with my knives so I decided to do a little test. (I was carrying the Tenacious and the SE Ladybug.) I rolled up tightly a paper napkin and had her cut it with each knife. The plain edge Tenacious cut through faster than the SE Ladybug which surprised me. I'm thinking what I really need for the second knife is a SE Dragonfly or Delica.

PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I'm going to give this thread a bump.

Spent a week with my Nishijin Cricket and it took care of the vast majority of my needs. Had a Breeden Rescue in my back pocket, but didn't need to use it all.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I fail the LBK challenge way too often, but mainly because I've been carrying a UKPK in my back pocket and that sees my LBK use.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!