something I made to replace the wave cutout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Valhallakings

something I made to replace the wave cutout

Post by Valhallakings »

I am a loyal spyderco fanatic! I love everything about spyderco knives but ;) i really like the Emerson wave feature so i came up with a optional alternative to cutting the blade and i call it the Ripple. i feel that cutting and grinding a blade could weaken the blade not to mention it destroys the true value and style of the knife. I made it from kydex and fastened it with a Chicago screw. it fits almost any spyderco knife from 11mm to 14mm and its easily removable. some possible disadvantages could be that it cover the thumb hole however the opener itself does the job for you so you shouldn't need to use the hole, and the screw on the ripple would be in the place of the thumb hole so you would have something to push on if needed. basically if you wear gloves you know its a pain in the but to open your knife. this solves that problem without altering your knife. so tell me what ya think! practical or crap? :rolleyes:
Attachments
1327118243014.jpg
1327118243014.jpg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
1327118197409.jpg
1327118197409.jpg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
1327118187860.jpg
1327118187860.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
1327118217461.jpg
1327118217461.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
1327118516684.jpg
1327118516684.jpg (15.37 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like it :) .
Niles

Post by Niles »

Nice work!

You should make a quick tutorial on your process. I experimented with one of these in aluminum a while back. Didn't like the way it turned out though, so I scrapped it. Kydex is a great idea. I would prefer more of a color match to the blade though, so it appears less obvious. The only bummer to an add-on like this would be that it might interfere with cutting, since it's not flush with the blade. But if you're a wave fan, it's probably worth it.

Kudos.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

Niles wrote:Nice work!

You should make a quick tutorial on your process. I experimented with one of these in aluminum a while back. Didn't like the way it turned out though, so I scrapped it. Kydex is a great idea. I would prefer more of a color match to the blade though, so it appears less obvious.

Kudos.
The great thing about this is the almost endless variety of colors offered in kydex. Over the this year i plan on trying to make some using g10
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

Nice design. No permanent damage to the blade but still looks a little more intentional that the simple zip tie mod.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've played with all kinds of wave type additions. The one that was the most successful was a piece of sheet metal pinched around the hole.

It was ugly but it worked awesome. I took it off because i was concerned with water getting inside it and rusting the blade. I wanted something more easily removable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BonnieDoon

Post by BonnieDoon »

Ingenuity at work right there. Nicely done :)
Viva La :spyder:

My :spyder: knives:
Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Foliage Green Delica 4 CE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
justinl

Post by justinl »

very nice! that's by far the nicest DIY wave I've ever seen without blade modification. Does it function well as a thumb stud? If it doesn't, perhaps the edges of the kydex portion could be left unchamfered to give a bit of an edge to catch your thumb. Or use a screw that has a crown that isn't rounded off? Good workValhallaKings.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Another disadvantage is that it'll get in the way when doing deep slicing cuts.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

It's a nice finish and a nice idea you got there. Although for me, the main feature of the knife has to be the hole in the blade. The hole is THE BEST and THE FASTEST way to open a knife, and if you want to cover it, might as well go for a different brand.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Looks like a great idea. You maybe onto a good thing here. Just thinking out loud here but I wonder how many different size holes Spyderco has. 11, 14mm.
I would love one for my Mini Grip 555.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Nice. Probably a lot more permanent than mine. I was lazy, and just used a piece of kydex, through the hole, folded over, and then melted it together and filed into a wavey shape.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
billy blade

Great job

Post by billy blade »

Looks good keep us posted when they are ready for sale, Love the wave :spyder:
Slash

Post by Slash »

Ernest Emerson says you did no violate the intellectual property rights or w/e it's called.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

As you're probably aware, CRKT makes a knife designed by Ken Onion called the Ripple. If you get to selling/marketing these, hope it doesn't become a problem. Neat design, though I prefer the hole. Lots of creative folks on this forum.
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

thanks everyone!
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

Evil D wrote:I've played with all kinds of wave type additions. The one that was the most successful was a piece of sheet metal pinched around the hole.

It was ugly but it worked awesome. I took it off because i was concerned with water getting inside it and rusting the blade. I wanted something more easily removable.
i tried this design first and found like you its not removable plus it dose a lot of damage
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

justinl wrote:very nice! that's by far the nicest DIY wave I've ever seen without blade modification. Does it function well as a thumb stud? If it doesn't, perhaps the edges of the kydex portion could be left unchamfered to give a bit of an edge to catch your thumb. Or use a screw that has a crown that isn't rounded off? Good workValhallaKings.
thanks for your opinion! the screw does work as a great thumb stud. i personally love the spyde hole! but during winter i wear gloves and its a pain to open my knives no matter what i do until i created this. the great thing is i can remove this during summer time when i wont be needing it.
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

Evil D wrote:Another disadvantage is that it'll get in the way when doing deep slicing cuts.
i agree this will get in the way for most deep cuts but for the most part i believe it will perform great most of my cutting is done with the other half of the blade anyway. thanks for your input
Valhallakings

Post by Valhallakings »

DiKa wrote:It's a nice finish and a nice idea you got there. Although for me, the main feature of the knife has to be the hole in the blade. The hole is THE BEST and THE FASTEST way to open a knife, and if you want to cover it, might as well go for a different brand.
i agree i made this more for winter time work where i have to wear gloves