Blade off center on military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

Blade off center on military

Post by Allen R. »

I purchased a millie on christmas, and the blade was dead center. Well just looked at my knife and the blade is almost scrubbing the whole right side!!! I havent pried or even used the knife really just played with it. What should i do can i center it myself , or should it be on the next thing smoking back to golden?
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hows the lockup? Any blade play?
Come Join Us Click Here
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Have you loosened the pivot any? Maybe try tightening it down some..
If that doesn't work, I'd send it back.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Check your pivot screw
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

loosened the pivot screw and the blade centered back up, but now i have forward blade play and side to side
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Hmmm. Was the pivot screw all the way tight when you checked it? Try loosening the pivot screw and then tightening it again with the blade locked open....
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

yea im doing it with the blade open, it was tightened down pretty well so i loosened it and like i said the blade is center but now ive got blade play im gonna play with it for as minute hold on ill report back in a few
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Keep us updated. Nothing more annoying the an off center blade. I can however deal with a slightly off centered blade as long as there is zero blade play....
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wedge the blade with a piece of folded paper so that it's centered and slowly adjust the pivot to desired tension. When you take out the paper, the blade should still be centered.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I agree with the others. Sometimes it takes a bit but if you keep messing with it; you should eventually be able to get it back how it was. Sometimes you have to reloosen it and move the blade around and slowly tighten it back up. I have played with a few and some are more stubborn than others. Sometimes they also take a little persuation as well. I know have all mine centered except for my $25 UKPK. If you see some of my past threads; I have had a few way off center, but they are all fixed now

Good luck, hope you get it back how you like it
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

**** yea chuck the paper worked knife is tight and centered used my check stub folded 3 times then tightened then unfolded 1 fold tightened and bham! blade is perfect! thanks guys
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Allen R. wrote:**** yea chuck the paper worked knife is tight and centered used my check stub folded 3 times then tightened then unfolded 1 fold tightened and bham! blade is perfect! thanks guys
Awesome! Enjoy your millie. :D
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

glad you got it!!! Good job!
I have sometimes just held the blade to one side while adjusting; similar concept
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

welp the **** blade jus fell out of the knife off to golden it goes!! the washers on the inside have some damge to them it looks like. I've never seen the inner working of a knife soI dont know if its normal or not either way I'm not voiding my warranty by taking the knife apart. I'll let the pros deal with it
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Allen R. wrote:welp the **** blade jus fell out of the knife off to golden it goes!!
Did you have the pivot too loose?
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

How the heck did that happen? you should easily be able to clean it up and put it back in. I do not see how it would just fall out unless something broke. Its got a hole in it where the pivot assy goes through.

Sorry to hear about your loss....I still believe you can handle the task.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

i put it back on but its hitting and grinding on something now something is not right
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I am sure you can figure it out. I took my PM2 completely appart to clean and adjust it and polish the Pivot washers. The pm2 seems more comPlicated then the milie. Have you searched you tube for disassembly and reassembly videos?

Some photos or video of your issue would help as well....
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Slash

Post by Slash »

I thought the best way to fix off centered was loosen the handle screws, tweak the blade while tightening them back up.

Only reason the blade would fall out is you loosened the pivot all the way or pivot screw broke possibly from overtightening. Which is rare, but certainly possible.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Ok got the millie back together i also fixed the blade issue, It was a combination of the pivot screw along with the first screw that holds the knife together after loosing one then tightening the other i have found the perfect balance. The millie is simple to disassemble and reassemble, its the tweaking that my o.c.d. self does to things that take some time