Features you'd like to see on more Spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

Features you'd like to see on more Spydies?

Post by Zerimas »

I am curious as to what features you would like to see on more Spyderco knives? I would personally like to see more knives with flow-though construction a la the Paramilitary. It makes the knife a million times easier to clean when one is out and about. It was also the primary reason I opted for the Chicago, as opposed to the Dragonfly. I know it can't be done on lock-backs and whatnot, but I still think it is a great feature to have on an EDC knife that might encounter stuff like food, which are very messy and spray acidic juice everywhere. I am sure there are lots of knives that feature this, but I am ignorant of them. :D

So, what would you like to see?
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I would love to see the Emerson Wave feature included on more models. (Of course, I am biased towards the models I use, mainly the Stretch and the Para-Military2.)

I recently bought an Emerson Wave Delica4, and I love it as much as I can love any PE knife. I had been using the zip tie mod, and yeah, that's a cool mod, but there's just no comparison.

I assumed that the question posed by the OP was with respect to features that could be added/changed on existing models. The Emerson Wave is such a feature. But changing the type of lock or the entire design of the handle is a bit beyond that. That's not asking for a new feature; it's asking for a new model.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

The compression lock. It is one of, if not, my favorite locking mechanisms. Also, more clips with the finish that can be found on the Gayle Bradley.
-Ryan
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Orion's Belt wrote:The compression lock. It is one of, if not, my favorite locking mechanisms. Also, more clips with the finish that can be found on the Gayle Bradley.
Compression lock, for sure.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Orion's Belt wrote:The compression lock. It is one of, if not, my favorite locking mechanisms. Also, more clips with the finish that can be found on the Gayle Bradley.
My thoughts as well! Add options for tip up and tip down carry for right and left handers too and maybe some more zdp-189, m4, m390, and XHP blade options :D

I know that is a ton to ask for lol
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

OK, can we clarify? Are you asking how favorite models could be improved, or what new models we'd like to see? I don't understand: If you like the flow-through design of the Para-Military2, then ... what's wrong with the Para-Military2? My response was basically that I love the Para-Military2 and the Stretch, but the new feature I'd like to see would be simply to add an Emerson Wave to them... Not to have them redesigned or a new model added. It's not just semantics.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Fewer or stronger wire clips :D The side play makes them harder to slip back into a pocket easily/quickly..and the thicker the pant material, the harder/slower the process becomes..
Also, I would like to see some jimping in the second choil. Index and middle are where most of my control comes from when handling a knife. Not talking super aggressive grooves here, just something to better secure the middle finger for finer actions with the blade.

And, some slightly convex g10 scales on certain models..new or established.. Just for some added grip/heft..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Knutty wrote:OK, can we clarify? Are you asking how favorite models could be improved, or what new models we'd like to see? I don't understand: If you like the flow-through design of the Para-Military2, then ... what's wrong with the Para-Military2? My response was basically that I love the Para-Military2 and the Stretch, but the new feature I'd like to see would be simply to add an Emerson Wave to them... Not to have them redesigned or a new model added. It's not just semantics.
I guess I am just try elicit some feedback for Sal and company, so they can see what it is we like. Hopefully, it will aid in their decision making when they go to redesign their models or add new ones. I think it's great that the higher-ups at Spyderco read these forums. I am also just curious what things people like on their knives.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Flipper.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I'd like to see more high carbon blade offerings.

I really dig the Super Blue. Easy to sharpen and takes a great edge.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I'd like to see more stout tips on knives marked for heavier use. I simply don't understand how a knife is beefed up with heavier duty locks then are finished off with fine tips.
I'd also like to see more knives with longer cutting edges relative to the overall length of the knife.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1
As well as the flow through design stated earlier.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Little beefer would be nice, thicker blade stock and handles but size wise not too small and not large 7" to 8" would be great.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

PanChango wrote:I'd like to see more high carbon blade offerings.

I really dig the Super Blue. Easy to sharpen and takes a great edge.
I agree, especially if paired with a flow through design. Super Blue tends to corrode pretty readily. I have a gyuto in this steel, and if I chop an onion and don't wipe it down with a couple minutes the edge is pretty much ruined. I am not complaining about the steel, as I feel the benefits more than make up for the lack of corrosion resistance. I feel Super Blue bladed knives could really benefit from flow-through construction, as it facilitates cleaning thus ensuring that the blade stays nice and sharp!
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Yup. The compression lock on the Sage 5 would make my day.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Cscoop wrote:Yup. The compression lock on the Sage 5 would make my day.
Oh my! :eek:

Post by 1623 »

Cscoop wrote:Yup. The compression lock on the Sage 5 would make my day.
Just read a post on BF suggesting this and I'll shamelessly reply the same way: A Compression Lock Sage would cause me to weep with joy and promptly open my wallet :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Compression lock and cobra hood. Salsa anyone?
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

More clips with the same finish as the GB is a fore sure. Be even nicer if there was a way to get that same coloring but in a matte finish.

And more M4

And more Gayle Bradley designed knives...
On the hunt for...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I can't pass up an opportunity to beg for another woodcraft run. I missed the first one and I would love a chance to put a handle on a new Spydie. Bring on a thicker 3V bushcraft blank and I'm happy.