Native 5 - The Good, Bad and Whatever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PatCatMan

Native 5 - The Good, Bad and Whatever

Post by PatCatMan »

I know there's multiple posts on the Native 5 from some searching here - but I'm getting ready to purchase one and would like a dedicated thread on the opinions regarding the knife.
GOOD - BAD - and the UGLY - Everything

Thought I would reach out to the most knowledgeable folks in regards to this -
Looking forward to your replies.
Thanks
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I am completely happy with mine. I haven't used it much (just too many knives and not enough to cut), but I have nothing ugly to say about it. Fit and finish on mine is excellent, so was the edge grind, blade centering, etc.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd prefer it had a less shiny clip.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I like mine a lot better since Gull WIng was kind enough to replace the butt-ugly peel-ply black G-10 scales with some infinitely more attractive wood and I'd prefer if it didn't have the spine swedge, but other than that it's an excellent knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
APS

Post by APS »

I got one recently and I *really* like it. It's not too big, choil or no choil grip, flat ground, smoothest and firmest backlock I've had.

Price was hard for me to swallow but I feel it to be reasonable for what you get. I would like a black or matte clip. A lighter FRN version is what I really wanted but it seems like that is at least a year away.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

The Native5 (IMO) is an extremely well-built knife that is the perfect size for pocket carry. It is a solid knife with a sturdy back lock and good-looking profile. The seemless design of the back lock button into the back spacer is another example of Spyderco's fine craftsmanship. A true beauty. The CPM-S35VN blade is nice but I feel it tapers a bit too much toward the point. I much prefer a little more blade thickness. And I could due without the swedge but I realize it's a Native trademark so no big deal. The full-length skeletonized liners are a great way to save weight and the black G10 has a great texture (not too grippy and not too smooth).

These are just my thoughts and opinions on the Native5. I own it and I like it but it doesnt "wow" me for some reason. Again , there's nothing really wrong with it. But it just doesnt speak to me like my Para Military 2 does. I give it an 8.0 (from 1-10).
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

PatCatMan wrote:I know there's multiple posts on the Native 5 from some searching here - but I'm getting ready to purchase one and would like a dedicated thread on the opinions regarding the knife.
GOOD - BAD - and the UGLY - Everything

Thought I would reach out to the most knowledgeable folks in regards to this -
Looking forward to your replies.
Thanks
Also PatCatMan , I send you an email here.
Thevenin

Post by Thevenin »

I also think it is an excellent overall knife. The weight distribution of it is my favorite. One point maybe that, a small region of the Spydie hole is under the handle when closed, where I wish the handle were slightly more chamfered to inside and the hole were completely accessible.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

N5 is a great EDC. I prefer my knives slightly heavier so this works well. Blade shape and FFG very useful. I am not a fan of steep thumb ramps so +1 for that. The ergos really just "work" for my smallish hands. Very, very smooth action. Aesthetically I prefer the more discrete swedge than was present on previous models.

As previously noted, the pocket clip is a bit bling and I would have preferred black. Lock backs aren't my favorite but I'll compromise on this one very easily given the rest of the knife being what it is.

I haven't needed to sharpen yet but I've had no problems with other S35VN blades.

My N5 has essentially pushed my Caly 3 out of my EDC line-up and generally gets a lot more pocket time than my PT.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Sorry, cant help. I have yet to go native.....
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Wolverine666 wrote:
These are just my thoughts and opinions on the Native5. I own it and I like it but it doesnt "wow" me for some reason. Again , there's nothing really wrong with it. But it just doesnt speak to me like my Para Military 2 does. I give it an 8.0 (from 1-10).
I haven't bought one yet and feel similar to Wolverine666 about it not having the "Wow" factor, especially for the money. It looks similar to the Tenacious, obviously built better, better steel etc etc, but it doesn't grab me like the Para, Manix and so on. The older Natives had a certain look that stood out and separated them from the others. The blade was special looking, you might not have liked it, but it was different.

The Native 5 looks like a solid well constructed knife and I am sure that anyone would be happy with one, I may eventually pick one up, but nothing is in my head that it is "must have" right now.

The TI fluted Native 5 on the other hand has the wow factor in the looks, but also in the price, which is about right for the handle material. Good luck in your search PatCatMan.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

After my green Delica4, the Native 5 was my first "real" Spyderco. I've since gotten several of the Classics ( Stretch,PM2,Manix,Dfly,etc.) but after all of those, I'd say the N5 is probably tied with my Sage1 as my very favorite.
The Native just exudes solidity,quality,simplicity, that simply outshines the others, IMO. I haven't used the knife ( or any of them, for that matter) enough to comment on blade quality, but I'm confident it's more than sufficient for any purpose I might ever need it for.
If the knife "speaks to you", then go for it, you very likely won't be disappointed. And when you factor in some of the extremely customer-freindly return policies of some places ( CutleryShoppe,Amazon,etc.) you really can't go wrong. :)
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I handled one the other day and it reminds me of a Spyderco classis - 83mm Manix.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin