Lionspy Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Ditto :) I am sitting on a round 2 pre-order as well...
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

Is the Lion Spy a limited edition?
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Received mine and WOW what a beauty!
It has a stiff action. Really stiff. I must have weak hands (not), smaller hands (yes), but that
lock bar is very strong and difficult to press in.
I feel fortunate in that my copy is pure (no scratches or marks like some of the U-Tube versions).

Any suggestions on lube for break-in????
Thanks
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Stugots-II wrote:Oh crap, after seeing this picture I may have now fell in love. This is bad, I'm
glad I have to wait so I just don't pull the impulse buy.

Nice knife guys
Man, that's beautiful. Too rich for my blood, though. This is a gi-normous knife, though, am I right?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
MSG

Post by MSG »

austinguy23 wrote:Is the Lion Spy a limited edition?
No this is a production knife.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Motorman wrote:Received mine and WOW what a beauty!
It has a stiff action. Really stiff. I must have weak hands (not), smaller hands (yes), but that
lock bar is very strong and difficult to press in.
I feel fortunate in that my copy is pure (no scratches or marks like some of the U-Tube versions).

Any suggestions on lube for break-in????
Thanks
If you don't intend on using it, don't worry about it. If you do plan to use it there is only one thing to do to cure your problem. Carefully remove the rotoblock disc as to not lose any teflon washers or the screw and note where the washers sit. Then, slightly bend the lock bar out a few times. Test the lock and whatever you do, DO NOT bend it to much or you'll be sorry. Because taking the knife apart is not easy and that's what you'll have to do to bend the lock back if you over bent it.

Good luck
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

tr4022 wrote:Man, that's beautiful. Too rich for my blood, though. This is a gi-normous knife, though, am I right?

Tod
It's really not that big. Yes, it has a thick, wide blade, but overall it's not much bigger than a Manix 2.

:bug-red-white
cckw

Post by cckw »

I got one a week or so ago. Opened it and handled it, It's a nice knife, but so are 100 others. I'll put it in my collection but will never carry it or add a second one
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

love this knife. you're right - it's not too big at all. great size. one of my favorites so far.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Just got mine yesterday and am lovin it! Is it perfect? Not quite, but nothing that's a deal breaker for me. This knife is solid and beefy and feels like it can take anything you throw at it. It's riding in my RFP and will get a workout this week to see how it does as my edc.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

mine comes in tomorrow, i cant wait
Donut

Post by Donut »

gbelleh wrote:It's really not that big. Yes, it has a thick, wide blade, but overall it's not much bigger than a Manix 2.
How can you say that without showing us the width?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

gbelleh wrote:I believe he's saying to watch out that you don't inadvertently squeeze the lock bar with one or more fingers while you apply pressure with your thumb in the opposite direction.

This is pretty easy to inadvertently do with a wide lock bar like the LionSpy has.
i have the same issue with most framelocks, but with this one, i've found that if you keep your middle finger on the roto lock thing while disengage, the problems closing are prevented.
Slash

Post by Slash »

God'sMyJudge wrote:i have the same issue with most framelocks, but with this one, i've found that if you keep your middle finger on the roto lock thing while disengage, the problems closing are prevented.
for sure you don't want to squeeze the lock bar on any frame lock when trying to open the blade. for some reason or another lionsteel set the lock bar much stronger than in needs to be. I would remove the rotoblock and bend that sucker a little past the frame to make it more user friendly.