so i have a question about production

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

so i have a question about production

Post by casey1 »

are the sage series "limited" or are they gonna plan to keep them in the lineup for years to come? I wanna pick up a back-up Sage 1 but if they're gonna get disco'd i don't wanna have to pick between a backup 1 or a sage 2. what do you think they'll do? keep making them or start making other stuff?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Each is very popular. Most knives that come out of Taichung are deemed "limited production" because the shop doesn't have the means to pop them out like a Hotpocket factory.

Until you hear it's going to be discontinued it's safe to wait. Once this happens either price will drop a bit or stick about where it was (give or take). Selling out of inventory seems to take anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. Appreciation after that seems to follow a similar curve.

Lava's were about $70 for years after being discontinued, now they are give/take twice that. The Barong dropped from like $125 to $85, sold out in about a month, and now people are trying to trade their unborn first child for one.

I would never stay "don't buy a Spyderco" but perhaps "buy another Spyderco" is more appropriate. :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Each Sage will be produced as long as there is sufficient demand. Judging by the popularity of the Sage 1, I'd say you're pretty safe holding off on getting another.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Disco'd knives are announced at the end of the year, November or thereabouts. So you have between now & then before your decision to purchase becomes a little more urgent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote: ...The Barong dropped from like $125 to $85, sold out in about a month, and now people are trying to trade their unborn first child for one...
You say this like it's a bad thing. :p :D (Just kidding, of course! :p )

Cheers,

~M.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lol!!