My Search for an All-Arounder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
salimoneus

My Search for an All-Arounder

Post by salimoneus »

I've been looking for one knife that is fairly lightweight, holds a decent edge, and can do just about everything: EDC, some occasional tougher tasks like cutting rope, webbing, rubber, cardboard, various camping tasks, food prep, and just as importantly a knife that also has some self defense utility. Ive tried lots of Spyderco knives, and some I've even tried different blade grinds and metals in the same model. I realized that for me, the best way to narrow this down was to look at a couple of the major knife attributes individually...

Blade Grind:

Since food prep was going to be a frequent use, it's important that the knife be a good slicer, especially when travelling to kitchens where sharp knives are often hard to find. The more force required for slicing, the more dangerous it is using the knife, so I really want a good slicer. I found that hollow and/or sabre grinds are just not as good at slicing as I was hoping, especially in more dense foods like raw potatoes where you really notice the extra resistance. Full Flat Grinds (FFG) are usually thinner, and are completely smooth from blade edge to spine. FFG is my choice here.

Blade Metal:

For the most part the choices are VG10, ZDP-189, H1, and S30v for the majority of Spyderco's mid-level production knives. VG10 has proven to be a very good quality steel, comes in a ton of blade sizes, holds an edge respectably well, and is quite rust resistant. ZDP of course holds a better edge, also comes in many blade sizes, but unfortunatley I noticed spotting and rust discoloration after only a couple hours of exposure to lime and tomato juices. I like the performance of S30V, but it's difficult to find one thin and long enough for my requirments, especially food prep. H1 is a very intriguing material due to being rust-proof, but it's softness and especially the fact that it's not available in a flat grind are drawbacks. VG10 is my choice here.

So I'm looking for a VG10 in a Flat Grind. The one knife that seems to fit my requirements and can perform admirably in a huge variety of roles is...

:spyder: The Endura 4 VG10 FFG :spyder:

This is one awesome knife! It's quite light for it's size, is an incredible slicer, is very capable in a self defense situation (assuming legalities), and the VG10 steel is relatively easy to maintain. For about $50 it's really hard to go wrong with a knife that can do so much, and anyone would be hard pressed to find a better value matching it's cutting edge, weight, and lifetime warranty.

Feel free to chime in and offer your thoughts, I'd be interested to hear what you think is the best all-arounder made by Spyderco.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Caly 3.5 for me. A little shorter blade than the Endura, but still plenty long, has a deep carry pocket clip and a 50/50 choil.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

You can't go wrong with an Endura! VG10 is one of my favorite steels. It is easy to sharpen, holds an edge well, and responds well to stropping/steeling in between sharpenings. All-in-all a great all-around choice.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Here is a pic of the Endura 4 FFG for reference:

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me it's the Stretch which shares many of the same attributes. Personally I just love the more sculpted handle.

My experiences with the Endura handle are just the Spyderhawk and Endura Trainer but they also seem a tad long and less secure in hand (comparatively).

Here's a pick I stole from Deacon:
The Deacon wrote:Seeing as there are two requests for this, here it is...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?p=494867
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Para 2 for me. I have yet to find a task that it's not well suited for. Before that was the Paramilitary. I really think i could use this knife for the rest of my life and not feel like i'm missing much...except maybe the same knife in some sprint steels or scale variations. I'm looking for a 20CP version right now, but i also plan on buying a Yojimbo 2, though i can't say it would be near as good as an "all-arounder".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Mine would be the G-10 Caly 3. It hasn't let me down yet. My cutting needs don't really require anything greater than a 3" blade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Might not be "lightweight" but to me, it doesn't weigh much at all...and the best all rounder for me...the Gayle Bradley. Other than wishing that the blade to handle ratio were better, there is nothing about this knife that I don't love and in my experiences, it has outperformed the Para2 in every task.

I don't yet own an Endura only because I bought a Delica and utterly hated it, so haven't bothered with it's bigger brother. But, lots of people love it and I am sure that it makes a great EDC knife.
On the hunt for...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Have to agree with the Stretch. A lot of belly for slicing, and the FRN model can be had brand new for around $75.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Significent

Post by Significent »

I think the Endura is a clear winner here. The price/value ratio can't be beat. For the holidays, I brought a bunch of them for family and friends to meet the very needs you outlined.

I've carried a variety of Spydies and, although the Endura is great, I'd recommend you also consider the Military and even the Police 3. They both slice very well. They both carry easier than you would think. The Police comes in VG10.

I recently obtained a Sprint Para2 in CTS-20CP. Although I like it a lot, it's a tad small for bigger jobs. As of right now, I'd have to say my Sprint Military in CTS-XHP is my fav all-around EDC. It's big. I like the blade shape. It's not too heavy. Cleans up easily. Oddly, it does seem to takes up a little more space in my pocket than the longer Police 3. Unfortunately, now that it's not in production, it's overpriced on the secondary market.
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I use the para 2 for just about everything , recently I've been rotating the manix 2 lightweight in as well and it has worked wonderfully .
35:spyder:
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

The stretch looks like a great knife. Never held one so I at compare. I have the dragonfly, delica, and endura. I wouldn't want to go without any of them because of the compromises of each one.

If I had to choose, it would be the delica. The 2 reasons because the endura is considered illegal to carry here (3 inch law) and I wear gym pant/shorts about 6 months of the year.

The dragonfly is my gym short\pants carry. The delica is my everyday. The endura is my camping/hunting\outdoor knife.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Impossible choice... ;)

Military, ParaMilitary, Caly3, Caly3.5, SageX, Endura, Delica, oh my...I am dizzy. ;) :spyder:
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

For me one of these...
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Millie, manix2, or PM2 for me :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
bh49

Caly3.5

Post by bh49 »

salimoneus wrote:lightweight, holds a decent edge, and can do just about everything: EDC,
it's important that the knife be a good slicer,
VG10,
the best all-arounder made by Spyderco.
=Caly3.5
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I would fully agree that for the money the FFG Endura w/VG10 is hard to beat. Sounds like you've already answered your own question. Now all that's left is the color? :p BTW I think a G-10 or CF Endura would make a GREAT forum knife. With H1, VG10, Superblue or ZDP. :D If not a forum knife a sprint or dealer exclusive would do. :)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

FRN FFG Endura is a great all around blade for the kitchen to The outdoors.

I'm thinking of going the same way for my work knife but I'm hooked on serrations so I might try hunt down a fully serrated stretch. Undecided :)

Good luck I think a flat ground Endura is a great choice for you Salimoneus.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

My vote goes for either a FFG Endura 4 or a FFG Delica 4 in ZDP-189
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

JAfromMN wrote:FRN FFG Endura is a great all around blade for the kitchen to The outdoors.

I'm thinking of going the same way for my work knife but I'm hooked on serrations so I might try hunt down a fully serrated stretch. Undecided :)

Good luck I think a flat ground Endura is a great choice for you Salimoneus.
PM sent with link for serrated Stretch