What lubes do you use? & why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

I use hoppes 9 penetrating oil and CRK grease. The CRK grease is some really great stuff IMO.
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Research tuf-glide and I think you'll be happy. I just read reviews from gun owners who say after its dry, dirt and dust seem to just fall right off, it doesn't collect at all even inside the firearm :) And everyone knows how dirty guns get on the inside
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

G10KnifeNut wrote:Research tuf-glide and I think you'll be happy. I just read reviews from gun owners who say after its dry, dirt and dust seem to just fall right off, it doesn't collect at all even inside the firearm :) And everyone knows how dirty guns get on the inside
Thanks Patrick!
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I also use Tuf-Glide and Tuf Cloth on my knives/chisels/machetes, etc. Seems to work well.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

G10KnifeNut wrote:Dude I CANNOT BELIEVE that just happend!!!! AHHHHHHH > :( jeeeez :( I just typed up this super long great reply then I tried to add a link and it deleted it alllll! anyways, you should've asked me Phillip! :D Get mineral oil for a few bucks at the local food store. Use for blades that may touch food :) lifetime supply for a few bucks is a steal!
Then get Tuf-Glide! The BEST stuff on the market :) Leaves a protective dry lube film that will not wash or wipe off! Leaves your knives or anything else it touches protected for awhile. Just re-apply every few months depending on how much use they get! Now before the links destroy this post, I'll add another post with links for a GREAT price where you can decide which bottle best fits your needs :)
Hijacking the subject for a minute. Sorry.

I have a new PC now but my old one would restart by itself every so often. On a couple of occasions I had typed a long post and the PC restarted. So, I started using MS Word to type anything that I thought would be long. Or if I saw that I was going to type more than I planned I copied and pasted it into a Word doc. That way I could save what I typed every minute or so and if the PC restarted I was ok. If you did something like that and copied the text into the post and the post got deleted you would still have your post in a MS Word file. Of course you could use the text editor or Wordpad that comes with Windows if you use Windows. Any text program should work.

Just a thought that did save my butt (and fingers) a few times.

Ok, now the thread is un-hijacked. :D

Jack
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Here's more than ya asked for, but what I use;

Quick Release - just got some, knife lube
Militec-1 - just may get replaced by QR
CorrosionX - for protection/wiping down, knife and gun GOOD STUFF
Breakfree CLP - firearm general cleaning (HOPPES 9 to heavy clean)
Rem-Oil - for used knife cleaning/restoring and non knife higher quality stuff
Ballistol - for door hinges, stinks to much for anything else
WD-40 - for low quality cleaning and sticker removal
Kroil - soak to remove rusted bolts
Mineral oil - for strop compound application
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

dj moonbat wrote:That's a Canadian recall that identifies the "hazard" in Ballistol as being a lack of labeling in French.
Isnt it canada that proves almost everything to be dangerous,... including D2 steel LOL :D
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Nope. sorry, you're getting confused with California.

Close, but slightly different. Eh?

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hey, don't make fun of us, eh? :p Oh crap - I gotta go patch up my igloo. ;)

- best wishes, Jazz.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

you guys are funny. Thanks for the input Simple Man.

back off topic about computers. Ihave had the same thing happen G10KN. I think it has to something to do with internet explorer. ie has a lot of bugs i think. I usually copy long posts so this doesnt happen.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

From what you guys have mentioned; I think I am going to buy a variety and see what works best for me. I appreciate all the input. At some point in time I will comment on my findings between the differnt products
ABergh10

Post by ABergh10 »

I'm a bit anxious to admit I tend to use olive oil for all lubricating needs. It does attract all kinds of gunk but it is very food-safe because I always tend to cut food sooner or later...

Now please be gentle while telling me I'm an idiot for using olive oil on my knives... :$
:spyder:
* Ladybug VG-10 Hawkbill Black FRN (x2)
* Cricket VG-10 SS
* Dragonfly VG-10 F-Green G-10
* Delica 4 PE VG-10 F-Green G-10
* Calypso Jr. AUS-8 Micarta
* Caly 3 ZDP189/420J2 CF
* Salt-I PE H1 Black FRN
* Spyderhawk SE H1 Yellow FRN
* Mule MT12 Cru-Wear
Non-:spyder:
* Leatherman Wave (x2)
* Gerber Flik
* Leatherman Squirt PS4 Red
* Opinel Nr. 8 Wallnut 12C27M
* Gerber EZ-out Combo edge 450
* Fällkniven F1-3G (25yr Edition, #0234)
* Gerber F-Green LMF II
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Hey, as long as you know the limitations, more power to you.

I use mine for food also, and even with the laundry list of stuff used, I just wipe it off, before and after and have never had problems. Any that might be ingested is too minute to be of issue.

ABergh10

Post by ABergh10 »

Fact of the matter is that I mostly clean my knives in/near the kitchen with a toothbrush (one I specifically bought for that task). Pour a couple of drops of olive oil on the counter dip a toothpick in it and apply it. That way I get a little as needed on the spot that needs it. The more you put on the more there is to attract stuff you don't want there...
:spyder:
* Ladybug VG-10 Hawkbill Black FRN (x2)
* Cricket VG-10 SS
* Dragonfly VG-10 F-Green G-10
* Delica 4 PE VG-10 F-Green G-10
* Calypso Jr. AUS-8 Micarta
* Caly 3 ZDP189/420J2 CF
* Salt-I PE H1 Black FRN
* Spyderhawk SE H1 Yellow FRN
* Mule MT12 Cru-Wear
Non-:spyder:
* Leatherman Wave (x2)
* Gerber Flik
* Leatherman Squirt PS4 Red
* Opinel Nr. 8 Wallnut 12C27M
* Gerber EZ-out Combo edge 450
* Fällkniven F1-3G (25yr Edition, #0234)
* Gerber F-Green LMF II
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

As I mentioned, I use primarily Tuf-glide and Militec for protection and lubrication. But a friend of mine (who is an avid bicycler) told me he uses Finish Line Ceramic Wax Dry lube

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/c ... x_lube.htm

I've tried it on a couple of my knives, and it is interesting stuff. It dries to a micro-thin solid waxy film and seems to last a lot longer than the thinner oil-based lubes - and it provides a silky smooth feeling. Not completely sold on it yet, but it is pretty good - and should be available at your local bike shop.

TedP
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

phillipsted wrote:As I mentioned, I use primarily Tuf-glide and Militec for protection and lubrication. But a friend of mine (who is an avid bicycler) told me he uses Finish Line Ceramic Wax Dry lube

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/c ... x_lube.htm

I've tried it on a couple of my knives, and it is interesting stuff. It dries to a micro-thin solid waxy film and seems to last a lot longer than the thinner oil-based lubes - and it provides a silky smooth feeling. Not completely sold on it yet, but it is pretty good - and should be available at your local bike shop.

TedP
I tried Finish Line (not the ceramic) wax lube. One thing I didn't like has nothing to do with how it works. I got some on the handle of a knife that had small grooves in it and after it dried it looked bad and was a little hard to get off. I figured it would be good for keeping dirt out. I mean, what would get dirtier than a bicycle chain? Not many things I'd think. Maybe that stuff would be good for knives in a really dirty environment. Construction site, etc. The lubrication aspect was very good. It didn't attract dust or dirt which is great. The pivot is the only place you would want to use wax lubes. I've heard "White Lightning" is another good one. You would need something else on the blade and other metal for corrosion resistance.

Jack
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Some people have mentioned Mineral Oil, which I could not find in a store.

I noticed that the 2 ingredients to Baby Oil are Mineral Oil and fragrance. So if you don't mind your knife smelling like a baby, you could use that instead.
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Militec

Great people, great product, supporting the troops- Great service.

Brilliant product.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Shakyamuni wrote:Some people have mentioned Mineral Oil, which I could not find in a store.

I noticed that the 2 ingredients to Baby Oil are Mineral Oil and fragrance. So if you don't mind your knife smelling like a baby, you could use that instead.
Mineral oil can be purchased in just about any drug/pharmacy stores or Walmart.I use mineral oil on any of my folding knives that come in contact with food. Mineral oil has no detectable odor,and it`s colorless.The same Mineral oil is also taken internally as a laxative.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Tuff-glide has always worked well for my Spydies. It lastst long and works just fine. For thorough cleaning I use WD40 to .... displace the water used in the cleaning. :)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram