Endura to Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dench

Endura to Paramilitary 2

Post by Dench »

Hey everyone I have hopefully a quick and easy question. For about a year now I have been carrying an endura 4 around. I have had my eye on a para 2 for a long time now. How does it compare to the endura, does it sit in your hand better and all the other good stuff? I don't want to buy one and be disappointed.

SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Personally, I feel that the ergos on the Para are just a bit better than the endura. The blade shape has more belly, and the choil is a great addition. I may adjust my endura to have a choil just because I enjoy my para so much. For me, the endura sits in the pocket better and has easier hand passing when going in and out of the pocket. I tend to use my endura more because of the ZDP, but I do love my para a lot. It is my work knife and my camping knife.

Nothing compares to the compression lock. It is my favorite lock type by far.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

One thing for sure, you will not be disappointed. Para is a great knife. The main difference is in handle material which is g-10 and the compression lock. Hands down, one of the best Spydercos.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

As much as I love an Endura, I love the Para2 more. The handle fills the hands much better, the comp lock is smooth and easy to use, and the blade shape is about perfect. You won't be disappointed with a Para2 except for the slight loss in blade length. I'd say go for it.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
rg02

Post by rg02 »

IMO, the ergonomics are much better on the PM2. The g10 and compression lock along with the choils and jimping are awesome
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have used both and the Para has for me a more useful blade shape than the Endura. I also prefer the handle shape and the compression lock, especially the lock.
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Endura is an excellent knife, I have three. However, the Para2 is a step up in quality and ergonomices. It's more in price, but I believe that it is worth it. Trust me, you won't regret getting one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't forget the extra blade length in the Endura over the Para. Both great knives, but maybe that'll make a difference to you.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I too carried an Endura 4 for a while and have recently picked up my first Para 2. Notice I said my first Para 2 - more to follow.
They really are two different types of knives with completley different feels to them. Not that one is better than the other just different. I still love the Endura. It does carry a little easier. The longer blade can come in handy. If you like serrations the Para 2 only comes PE.
One the other hand the Para handle is more comfortable for me. The compression lock is more fun to play with. Open construction is easier to clean.
I'm just glad I have both.
Get the Para 2 and you will not be disappointed. If you are you can always resell it here with only a slight loss. Heck, I may even buy it.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

If you are in to new high performance steels such as the zdp mentioned above that the endura comes in then look out for the M390 para mil2 at bentobox.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Here's some advice...BUY IT! :D I have both and the Para 2 is just breath taking in the hand. It's AMAZING! You wont be able to put it down. mine was super stiff and tight when I got my PM2, I loosened up the pivot Just a reallllly small turn and now after doing that and breaking it in, It's one of the smoothest knives I own! Manix 2 as well :)
jossta

Post by jossta »

Dench wrote:I don't want to buy one and be disappointed.
unpossible
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

rjowen0984 wrote:If you are in to new high performance steels such as the zdp mentioned above that the endura comes in then look out for the M390 para mil2 at bentobox.
Yup, Get the blue PM2 from bentobox :) Just got mine a little bit ago and I love it. The color of the steel is beautiful and its sharp as **** :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, Dench - you'll love the Para2. The knife is smooth as glass and tough as nails. The G10 is a bit more hefty than the FRN on the Endura, but the knife is surprisingly light and agile for its size.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Para 2 is about as close to perfect in a knife as you can get IMO.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

BDNX wrote:Para 2 is about as close to perfect in a knife as you can get IMO.
Very true fact, and I have realized this since the Blue M390 had kicked the Black DLC PM2 out of my pocket... Those are really all that I find myself carrying on a regular basis. For the ones that do not see regular carry--I have started to thin them out. I decided to pass on and sell my Blue G-10 Manix 2, ZDP & G-10 Dragonfly, Blue FRN Sretch ZDP and dare I say my black on black ParaMilitary 2.

That being said the, Blue M390 Paramilitary 2 is a keeper for sure, and pair that with the upcoming Orange XHP PM2-- they should satisfy folding knife uses and needs for a very long time. Although I do plan on keeping my gray Delica & Endura, CF ZDP Stretch, H1 & ZDP Ladybugs and possibly the Ambitious, even though the Ambitious will probably end being gifted away.

The Endura and Paramilitary are both fine tools, but very different in their own respects.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I own both and have EDC'd both of them as well, having said that, I don't think I could ever go wrong with either knife. They both have great ergonomics, and quite honestly, I think everyone should own both. ;)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I prefer paras ergos, looks, steel, action, lockup, lock etc :p
19cohiba75

Post by 19cohiba75 »

Love my PM2 all black !!!! :D But everyone's hands are different, so I would find a Spyderco retailer or a friend who has one and see how it feels first.
pokerstud

Post by pokerstud »

You won't be dissapointed!!!