Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote:The most obvious next forum knife is the Manix 2 Lightweight. Getting a unique color should be inexpensive, ala FRN, upgrade the steel, laser engraving and you're done; at a selling price of around $80.
Not so obvious for me. Difference in street price between M2 LW and para2 or Yo2 is about $30. Upgrade steel on M2 and this difference will be much less. For extra $15-20 I would rather go with yo2 or para2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

pmbspyder wrote:Oh my god, I'm in love!!!!!!!! Thanks for the mockup! If only I had 30k to throw at this project!
****! It just keeps on getting better and better! I really love this version, JUST AWESOME!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Niles wrote:Image
Sorry, I meant to add this picture!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Oh snap!

Ffg though? Or no? What say you?
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

My 2 cents worth:
I love the red and black combo.
Manix2 or Para2 would be my favorites, but would consider most models.
I hope something can be worked out to make this happen!
Tank
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Really?!? The red and the black? Each to his/her own I guess :confused: Not exactly subtle is it :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The red and black isn't my cup of tea but that doesn't say much. The red scripting would be very tough. I recall a gold Spydie on some from years back (Caly jr zdp burgundy). That and red is usually reserved for trainer knives.

Before blue was used people were excited for the translucent white prototype. That without the DLC would be my pick. However, as mentioned, I'm no fashionista :) .
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Wow, I went to work and came back and this blew up to a 4 page thread. I was ready to give up on the dream...LOL Sal...Eric...are you seeing this?!!? Let's get a conversation going.

In case I didn't say it before I'm down with the black and red Para2. I already want an all black Para2, this would just kill two birds with one stone for me. If that's too expensive, I can live with the red and black manix.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Blerv wrote:The red and black isn't my cup of tea but that doesn't say much. The red scripting would be very tough. I recall a gold Spydie on some from years back (Caly jr zdp burgundy). That and red is usually reserved for trainer knives.

Before blue was used people were excited for the translucent white prototype. That without the DLC would be my pick. However, as mentioned, I'm no fashionista :) .
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knockin it. I'd still buy one if only to support the forums and Spyderco. But MAN that thing is, well....
It makes a statement, that's for sure. I don't know what that statement is, but it makes it.
Worse comes to worse, I'll save it for my Xmas morning knife. It's a bit festive :D

But if it's gonna be Spyderco's colors, shouldn't it have a gold spider on it? How about it? Some gold hardware and pocket clip? :eek:
juggler

Post by juggler »

bh49 wrote:Not so obvious for me. Difference in street price between M2 LW and para2 or Yo2 is about $30. Upgrade steel on M2 and this difference will be much less. For extra $15-20 I would rather go with yo2 or para2.
You definitely have a point, and to be honest I'd like a PM2 just as much as a M2 LW (if not more...).

But...

_ as you say, even with a steel upgrade the M2 LW would still be less expensive. Price being a key factor in the success of a sprint run, the cheaper the better.

_ there are already quite a few PM2 variations out there, with a nice choice of colors and steels; whereas there's only one M2 LW version (... yet).

_ the Yojimbo is certainly a very fine knife, but it's not as versatile or as popular as the other options (I know I would pass on a Yojimbo sprint).
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Sign me up for a green. That looks sweet.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

bh49 wrote:Not so obvious for me. Difference in street price between M2 LW and para2 or Yo2 is about $30. Upgrade steel on M2 and this difference will be much less. For extra $15-20 I would rather go with yo2 or para2.
Actually I agree with that. Sal has stated strongly that he wants the forum knife to be a low priced model so that all forum members have a better chance to buy one. That's why I called the M2 Lightweight "obvious".

One reason I'd like to have an annual forum knife is that I hope we could then get a more upscale model every 2 or 3 years.

Even assuming the sprint idea was successful, I presume whoever was bankrolling it would want to hedge his bets with a less expensive model the first time around.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

It occurs to me that one motivation for Spyderco to do sprints for other forums is the opportunity to put the first Spyderco in the pockets of some of the forum members. That motivation obviously doesn't apply here.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote:Sal has stated strongly that he wants the forum knife to be a low priced model so that all forum members have a better chance to buy one.
Somehow I missed this. :o
Sequimite wrote:It occurs to me that one motivation for Spyderco to do sprints for other forums
Probably I missed something else as well. I never heard the term "forum sprint" before this thread.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

computernut

Post by computernut »

I'm digging the Lightweight Manix2 as a forum knife. Not sure what colour, the purple and the green colour looked pretty cool.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't really understand the Para2 sprint pricing structure. Without looking at msrp you can get a Para2 (base) for right around $98-105. The S35vn is another $20-25. The Bento Box M390 is about $170?

Meanwhile the same site as the $98 Para2 the Manix2 Lightweight is $67. Even if you could draw a straight line from one of the cheapest dealers to the Bento Box Exclusive (which you can't) a M2 LW in M390 would be about $139, realistically it would be less.

For me (YMMV) these premium steels don't need to be tanks. The ZDP-189 FRN lines are economic on the wallet and on the scale. The last forum knife was give/take $60. If they ever did another one and it was $170 many would pass.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

There we go! Me likey.
jeffc

Post by jeffc »

This has progressed nicely. I would take the red one for sure. But others have stated the powers that be use red for trainers. If the red doesnt work then that yellow with a fully serrated h1 blade would work. Would keep the cost down but still be different.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:I don't really understand the Para2 sprint pricing structure. Without looking at msrp you can get a Para2 (base) for right around $98-105. The S35vn is another $20-25. The Bento Box M390 is about $170?
At KC S35vn para2 cost $30 more than regular production para2. First of all, the dealer giving 35% off for regular and 30% off for S35vn. MSRP is $30 different as well. Sal mentioned on Forums that production Manix2 and Para2 priced with lower profit margin than the rest of production, it looks like sprints are not getting this lower profit margin. IIRC I paid for blue Manix about $50 more than regular production model, difference between steel and grind certainly should be less than that. Which is OK for me. IMHO most of sprints and limited runs should cost more than regular production.
Bento Box M390 para is totally different story, it is dealer exclusive, he can sell at MSRP, no competition.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49, I hear you and echo most of those thoughts. Thanks for your insight.

I know comparing retail to retail is NOT and apple/apple comparo. Still, food for thought especially when starting with a cheaper product.