Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

any model, if it appeals to me, ill buy
Niles

Post by Niles »

Evil D wrote:I just want a red G10 handled Para 2 with a black DLC blade! Spyderco colors! S30V is fine and it'll keep cost down but i wouldn't complain about 20CP :D
**** yes! I would be even more excited if it were in a cool steel, but I'd be down with S30V if that's how it had to go.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

D1omedes wrote:the reason we don't have a forum knife is because of our inability to agree.
The forum had no input into the last forum knife. Kristi just decided to do it and did all the work. She's probably been too busy to do it again since then.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Sequimite wrote:The forum had no input into the last forum knife. Kristi just decided to do it and did all the work. She's probably been too busy to do it again since then.
Thanks, I didn't realize the forum had no input on the prior knives. Still, I think our lack of agreement hindered any hope we had of a forum knife. If Sal or Kristi saw a resounding call for a specific forum knife then I think it would have been done.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Sequimite wrote:The forum had no input into the last forum knife. Kristi just decided to do it and did all the work.
Agree 100%. That's the best way, in my opinion. Let Spyderco decide. And if anyone does not like the knife Spyderco decides upon, then they do not have to buy it. Plain and simple.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

To be honest, I'd buy just about any knife with an affiliation to the Spyderco forums--regardless as to whether it generated by forum input or decided by someone at Spyderco. The only problem would be if it were prohibitively expensive, i.e. much more than 150 dollars.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

D1omedes wrote:In all honesty, the reason we don't have a forum knife is because of our inability to agree. That's not really bad, it's just reality.
dj moonbat wrote:I totally disagree.
Whahaha...

I disagree with both of you... :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Niles

Post by Niles »

Isn't part of the fun of a forum knife, getting to have input? Check out the discussion going on right now over on the USN about a toxic green para. People are getting stoked on it, due in large part to the fact that it is their idea. I'm not saying I don't trust sal or kristi to come up with something cool, just that it'd be more fun if we got to participate in the creative process, even if it was just a series of polls (model, handle, blade, where to put the gold embedded Sal signature, etc).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Alchemy1 wrote:I like that color combo! Does your name have anything to do with DJ Evil D...completely off topic?
Nope, it's just a nickname i picked up in high school. My name is David so that's where the D comes from. Back then i had hair down to my waste and wore a lot of black and i guess i had a pretty ominous appearance back then (not that it's that much friendlier now lol). I always liked it because it's sort of a twist on the letters in Devil, so on most forums i try to spell it evil D but it usually gets capitalized.

Anyway i've been itching for a red and black knife for a long time and i think it would be the perfect forum knife since the forum itself is styled in those colors, it just makes sense. The ultimate would be black G10 with red DLC, but i'm not sure if that's possible.

Out of curiosity does anyone know what it would cost to "commission" a batch of knives? I'm just crazy enough i might do something like this if i got enough people on here to support/agree on something and i felt there was enough interest to buy them. If the cost wasn't outrageous and i could at least break even on the cost.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Niles wrote:Isn't part of the fun of a forum knife, getting to have input? Check out the discussion going on right now over on the USN about a toxic green para. People are getting stoked on it, due in large part to the fact that it is their idea. I'm not saying I don't trust sal or kristi to come up with something cool, just that it'd be more fun if we got to participate in the creative process, even if it was just a series of polls (model, handle, blade, where to put the gold embedded Sal signature, etc).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.
Well, my idea, when I was pushing the forum knife polling, was that a forum consensus would both save Kristi some work and reduce the speculative nature of the knife sales. While the last one sold out very quickly some of the prior forum knives did not sell well.

Given that Golden can't make Yo2's Para2's and Manix2's fast enough to meet demand I'm going to assume that a forum knife is not in the cards in the near future. That's why I've been thinking of a forum knife sprint, spec'd and paid for by forum members. If any of you forum members have $20,000 - 30,000 available for a low risk, low profit investment, contact Spyderco and see if they will go for it. I'd do it if I had the cash. Not sure if they would want to outsource the Spyderco Forum knife process, but if it is still sold at 40% off list to forum members that get the same result without the headache.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Money and prices will be affected by what knife is chosen. The knife/color combos would be a great place to start to see if it is even possible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

smikesmith3 wrote:Money and prices will be affected by what knife is chosen. The knife/color combos would be a great place to start to see if it is even possible.

The most obvious next forum knife is the Manix 2 Lightweight. Getting a unique color should be inexpensive, ala FRN, upgrade the steel, laser engraving and you're done; at a selling price of around $80.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I am not a fan off all the different avenues of sprint runs. I would prefer all sprints be normal sprints strategically planned by spyderco and available through normal channels at about 6 per years. Unless I really dig the knife I tend to ignore dealer specific knives (the tan Manix M4, Stag Manix, etc) Although did get the blue para M390 because I love para, love M390, like blue.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

I love the idea of a Manix 2 Lightweight.

Let's hear some colors and steels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sequimite wrote:The most obvious next forum knife is the Manix 2 Lightweight. Getting a unique color should be inexpensive, ala FRN, upgrade the steel, laser engraving and you're done; at a selling price of around $80.
Sounds good!
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Too bad can't do a yellow H1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say do the solid blade S with G-10 scales and a S90V blade.

I want a small, compression lock, S90V knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Sequimite wrote:The most obvious next forum knife is the Manix 2 Lightweight. Getting a unique color should be inexpensive, ala FRN, upgrade the steel, laser engraving and you're done; at a selling price of around $80.
+1! I like the blue lightweight manix a lot, but would like a slightly better steel.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Exactly.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:So was the Purple FRN Native a "forum knife" or a forum sprint? If the prior, what prompted the movement from Spyderco? Was it a landmark event or something else?
It was a Forum Knife. I'd imagine that, as with the two prior Spyderco Forum knives (Lava and Adventura), it was a case of us asking at a time when Spyderco had the time and resources to devote to such a project. Think that's been the main reason we haven't seen one since. That, between new models, Sprints, and dealer/distributor exclusives, Golden's resources have been spread pretty thin.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!