Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I will wait to hear from someone at Spyderco before I join in on another of these threads. If they make one and I can afford it, I will buy it. Carry on.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

I would take a red spider inlay on stonewashed/antiqued Ti handle for civilian knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

araneae wrote:I will wait to hear from someone at Spyderco before I join in on another of these threads. If they make one and I can afford it, I will buy it. Carry on.
Oh but it's fun to pretend! Like what you would do with a winning lotto ticket or where you would ride your pet unicorn to. :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I would like to see the Dragonfly 2 as a Forum Knife. A few reasons for my suggestion:

- Good history on the Spyderco lineup
- Inexpensive
- Most Forum sprints I've seen have been medium to larger knives

Maybe offer a different steel & color on the FRN?

There has been Black, & Yellow. To make it easy, they could use one of the other colors used with the Delica/Endura. Personally I always liked the Burgundy that was on the Calypso Jr. Perfectly happy with VG10 myself.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Hahaha it's back. I understand now why people shot down my old thread. These things continue to pop up :) another vote for the d fly. I'll take blue please :)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

not digging the red & black, but green is cool
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Halfneck wrote:I would like to see the Dragonfly 2 as a Forum Knife.
I like Dragonfly, but prefer a little bigger knife. I really like etching on Forum Native and dragonfly is a little small for this. Otherwise it is a great candidate, still I prefer Native5 or Para2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Keep the ideas coming.

I think if you start with the actual knife, you can get into color combos and steels.

Dragonfly is a great knife and would be cheap so would a Manix Lightweight. Remember the goal is to keep it cheap (around $80).

The difference between $80 and $100 is make or break for a lot of people.

If people think the dragonfly is too small, then what else is there besides a Delica (somewhat bored with the Delica).

Lets hear them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

I would like to see a Para2 maybe Ti G10 scales,with an etching Spyder on the Ti side,like look on the dragonfly.
Not the expensives steels, VG 10 would also do it.
Maybe make them ceaper?
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Para2 would not be around $80, Delica is overdone, and I agree that the dragonfly is too small. I have a lightweight Manix 2 and it is GREAT except it needs a better steel. I think this would be a perfect candidate and I would definitely buy one.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Shakyamuni wrote:Para2 would not be around $80, Delica is overdone, and I agree that the dragonfly is too small. I have a lightweight Manix 2 and it is GREAT except it needs a better steel. I think this would be a perfect candidate and I would definitely buy one.
+1 and all logical reasons, though I wouldn't care if a Dragonfly was chosen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Shakyamuni wrote:Para2 would not be around $80, Delica is overdone, and I agree that the dragonfly is too small. I have a lightweight Manix 2 and it is GREAT except it needs a better steel. I think this would be a perfect candidate and I would definitely buy one.
Playing the advocate: How is the Delica "overdone".

The Manix2 and Para2 are Sprint platforms and see more iterations than Lady Gaga's wardrobe. The normal Manix2 is gettin S30v shortly which I think most people will appreciate but not tangibly realize.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Blerv wrote:Playing the advocate: How is the Delica "overdone".

The Manix2 and Para2 are Sprint platforms and see more iterations than Lady Gaga's wardrobe. The normal Manix2 is gettin S30v shortly which I think most people will appreciate but not tangibly realize.
Not disagreeing the Manix 2 has been overdone but the Lightweight has only 1 of its kind, unless you are considering the lightweight a variation of the Manix 2.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

smikesmith3 wrote:Not disagreeing the Manix 2 has been overdone but the Lightweight has only 1 of its kind, unless you are considering the lightweight a variation of the Manix 2.
Agreed completely.

I think the M2 LW is a genius platform for such a knife (if done). Cheap and light goes great with exotic steels. With so many available in S30v personally I would welcome anything else as a change.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Shakyamuni wrote:Delica is overdone,
I'll see your overdone and raise you M390 or S90V. In a delica platform. SWEEEEEET. put me down for 3 of those.
Even though it will never happen. Being overseas and not using other steels. :( It was a sweet dream.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Blerv wrote:Agreed completely.

I think the M2 LW is a genius platform for such a knife (if done). Cheap and light goes great with exotic steels. With so many available in S30v personally I would welcome anything else as a change.
CPM-S35VN? :spyder: I love my Native 5, I'd be all over that.

Honestly, I have to agree that the M2LW is a great platform (color choice aside :p ). It's new to the lineup but based on a proven design. Also it would be kind of cool to have the first sprint run for a new product.

All speculation aside, what would need to happen to get this started? Do we need a certain amount of interested ppl?
Niles

Post by Niles »

46Alpha wrote:All speculation aside, what would need to happen to get this started? Do we need a certain amount of interested ppl?
I'm sure an investor would help. I can only imagine Sal's expression when he saw this thread started.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I like the idea of a Dragonfly. It has a lot of history in the lineup and the forum is pretty tight with the knives themselves. If you get what I am saying. It would be classy to go with a classic Spyderco rather then a Manix2 or Delica4.

What about the stretch? As far as I can see (looking at the 2012 product guide) there is only dark green and black done so far. An orange or white would look kind of cool.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zunedog31 wrote:I like the idea of a Dragonfly. It has a lot of history in the lineup and the forum is pretty tight with the knives themselves. If you get what I am saying. It would be classy to go with a classic Spyderco rather then a Manix2 or Delica4.

What about the stretch? As far as I can see (looking at the 2012 product guide) there is only dark green and black done so far. An orange or white would look kind of cool.
I agree a white stretch in Super Blue could be awesome!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Blerv wrote:Playing the advocate: How is the Delica "overdone".
I love a good advocate! Check out the 2012 Spyderco catalog and count the number of pages that cover the Delica & Endura, and I'll wait for you over here growing a beard...

Yes, there are 8 pages worth of Delicas. No thanks, I don't think we need any more!

In some ways, the lightweight Manix does count as a variety of the regular Manix, but I personally feel that it is different enough (wire clip, drastically reduced weight) and celebrated enough (BLADE award) to deserve a better steel.