Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea but only two steels :) .

Not the biggest Delicia fan but wouldn't mind it compared to some. Past forum knives have been something differert though, typicially the knife of that year. Native5 would be a nice one to work with, IMO.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

46Alpha wrote:CPM-S35VN? :spyder: I love my Native 5, I'd be all over that.

All speculation aside, what would need to happen to get this started? Do we need a certain amount of interested ppl?
Well choosing the knife will help pick the investor. I'm seriously considering this or by other means but would need to know what knife first. Price is a big difference between a stretch, manix lightweight and dragonfly or even a paramilitary.

Manix Lightweight seems like a happy medium, with some sweet steel and a radical color.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Spyderco "Bug" 2012 Forum Knife.
Can be had for $8-10.
Most folks here can probably scrape that up from under their sofa cushions.

Simple.
Un-complicated.
Affordable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Joking aside about the Bug, what's wrong with the Grasshopper or Kiwi 3?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Jay_Ev wrote:Joking aside about the Bug, what's wrong with the Grasshopper or Kiwi 3?
For me, I was thinking of something that would be more of a user than a trinket, so that's why I hadn't really considered the smaller knives. They do provide the price advantage, but I already have a ladybug and a dragonfly that I barely use.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Shakyamuni wrote:For me, I was thinking of something that would be more of a user than a trinket, so that's why I hadn't really considered the smaller knives. They do provide the price advantage, but I already have a ladybug and a dragonfly that I barely use.
+1 on getting a user. Also didn't I read that it's easier/less money to get a US made sprint vs an overseas made one? And won't having it made here give us a better choice of steel? IIRC, isn't it verboten to ship US made steel to Japan? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

+1 for Red black Manix 2 a good balance of cost/value :D I also like the idea of it being open to members first. :spyder:
Thevenin

Post by Thevenin »

+1 for anything that will build up finally in this thread :spyder:
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

46Alpha wrote:+1 on getting a user. Also didn't I read that it's easier/less money to get a US made sprint vs an overseas made one?
The last forum knife run was 300. It's been reported that the minimum order from Japan is 1200, although they apparently did a 700 run for the SB Caly 3.5 variation.

The reason the edge on the Barong was so short was because of a misunderstanding, they ground it shorter than intended. Communications with a remote maker for a one time short run takes longer and makes the overhead higher.

A forum knife is a sentimental item for most of us and having it made by Spyderco employees rather than foreign subcontractors is appropriate.

Notice the number of sprints on the Golden made Manix 2 and Para 2 compared to all the foreign made models?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

46Alpha wrote:+1 on getting a user. Also didn't I read that it's easier/less money to get a US made sprint vs an overseas made one? And won't having it made here give us a better choice of steel? IIRC, isn't it verboten to ship US made steel to Japan? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The exchange rate allows for knives to made more affordable in this order: China, Taiwan, Golden, Japan, UK. Spyderco's msrp is based on a cost-to-build multiplier so they pass the value to us. This old post from Sal explains more: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=17

In another thread (someplace), I recall that they can technically ship supplies oversea but it adds to the cost and complexity. Japan only used Japanese steels (and perhaps other materials). Spyderco can get some Japanese steels shipped over but again, economics dissuade then. Making a VG10 Native stateside is technically possible but kinda silly with domestic steels.

That's paraphrased at least. Should be 90% right :) .
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Niles wrote:Image
This bad boy still has me excited! :D
bc

Post by bc »

+1 for the red Manix 2.

I hate to admit it, but I will buy ANYTHING Spyderco makes for the forum. I've got issues!
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

So doesn't all that great info put us back to US made sprint being the better choice?

M2 LW FTW :cool:

Anyone?

jeffc

Post by jeffc »

smikesmith3 wrote:Well choosing the knife will help pick the investor. I'm seriously considering this or by other means but would need to know what knife first. Price is a big difference between a stretch, manix lightweight and dragonfly or even a paramilitary.

Manix Lightweight seems like a happy medium, with some sweet steel and a radical color.
Well thank you sir. I am hopefull we can pin this down and it be something you can swing, somehow. I agree that the lwmanix is a perfect fit. I would love red but dont see it happening(prove me wrong since it is transparent). I dont mind the color as long as its not pink or purple. I would vote for orange or smoke if it was my choice. The steel has to be something good. I would love to try a really long wear resistant steel, anyone know if crucible or carpenter is cheaper? At any rate my vote would go to cpm10v but i know the non stainless would scare alot away. S90v would be great with the smoke to kinda mimic the peel ply carbon fiber color normaly associated with s90v and spydie. I would be happy with carpenter 204p or 20cp. Anything non standard really works for me.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Does the translucent FRCP handle dye? If so, do the knife in a clear FRCP and people can make their own color combo.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Niles, I might be mistaken, but as I understood it, the lightweight Manix 2 was built in a way that would make it difficult to take the handle off. I think the insides are different than the regular Manix 2. Again this is all speculation, I have never taken a knife apart. I would also worry about warranty this way.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

If enough people go with this knife, couldn't we then take a poll on what color we want? Not saying that the project will happen, but hopefully with continous momentum it may...
angusW

Post by angusW »

Niles wrote:Image
46Alpha wrote:So doesn't all that great info put us back to US made sprint being the better choice?

M2 LW FTW :cool:

Anyone?

I like both of these very much but for me, the forum knife is not a user so I think the red and black blade one would edge out the smoke one. Again, since I don't use my forum knife that much and I would bet the majority don't use theirs that much either, then a steel upgrade isn't needed for a forum knife. As far as I see it, a forum knife is not a hard user. It's more of a keepsake.

I think the red one would be the one to go for but ffg and spyder web on the blade would put it over the top :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

Evil D wrote:I just want a red G10 handled Para 2 with a black DLC blade! Spyderco colors! S30V is fine and it'll keep cost down but i wouldn't complain about 20CP :D
Tat sounds like somthing for the JD to take on. ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Honestly...I say Native. I know it has been done...but it is a great knife.
On the hunt for...