The Problem with Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wsdavies

The Problem with Spyderco...

Post by wsdavies »

They are to **** addicting and eat up all my spending cash. It makes it hard to save up for other cool stuff when they keep releasing sweet new models and sprint run variations of beloved designs. Finally when you think you're out of the woods somebody puts an old design for sale on BF or Ebay that you didn't know existed. I guess it beats a drug habit. :p
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I've been think about just having my pay checks direct deposited to spyderco.
35:spyder:
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

yea im thinking of getting a collector club thing just so i can get em all
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Not long ago, I mounted a SpyderPac on my wall, and put all my knives in it. My wife said to my daughter, "Daddy's probably spent $500 on knives!"

Hah, if she only knew...

I just ordered a CF Stretch with ZDP-189. I think I'm winding down on Spyderco products for now. I have to wind down.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

wsdavies wrote:They are to **** addicting and eat up all my spending cash. It makes it hard to save up for other cool stuff.
+1
Tell me about it :o :o :o
I think that my computer is seven years old. I never had computer that long before Spyderco addiction.
Are there Spyderholic Anonymous ?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

-F1 wrote:Not long ago, I mounted a SpyderPac on my wall, and put all my knives in it. My wife said to my daughter, "Daddy's probably spent $500 on knives!"

Hah, if she only knew...

I just ordered a CF Stretch with ZDP-189. I think I'm winding down on Spyderco products for now. I have to wind down.
I hear you on both points. My wife has made some comments as well. If she only knew; she would have a heart attack

My addiction has recently brought me a few more knives. Whats worse is that I have another 6 coming this week. So I am with F1, I have got to lay lo for a while. Its just hard every time I come on here and see pics posted all over. I definitely have to stop and just wait for my preorders and thats it for a while
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

-F1 wrote: I think I'm winding down on Spyderco products for now. I have to wind down.
Have you looked carefully at the 2012 catalog?? No matter what you do, there will probably be at least 4-6 'gotta have' Spydies every year! Im up around 50 or so now and thought that I only bought 6 last year, but it was more like 11. Of course, my excuse was that I bought some oldies. My criteria now is that I have to really love the look or use - not just "it looks kinda neat". If I dont tighten up my criteria, I will be at 10-12 per year - every year...cannot do that!! Yeah, I know, sort of like an alcoholic who says, Im only going to drink 95 point wines or 18 year old single malt scotches...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

IrishSpyder22 wrote:I've been think about just having my pay checks direct deposited to spyderco.
LOL! No doubt. :) I'll probably do the same. I mean, who really needs a 401k anyway, right? :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I've been thinking about starting a small online knife business just to finance the addiction. I occasional will come across old stock Spydies that I put on the Bay to fund the insanity.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If my wife knew I'd be in the dog house. :o In a way it's good they keep the colors similar. When I got my blue Para 2's my wife thought they were the sage 3 hehehee
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

-F1 wrote:Not long ago, I mounted a SpyderPac on my wall, and put all my knives in it. My wife said to my daughter, "Daddy's probably spent $500 on knives!"

Hah, if she only knew...

Nah pocketknives are $30 each. Ask my wife :) .

Seriously she knows they are expensive. Though, she never looks in the knife drawer. I think due to plausible deniability.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

If I saw any one legitimate "issue" with Spyderco, it would be the ol' "Too many irons on the fire" one. When Sal reported that he had 100+ projects running at once last year, I couldn't help but think that maybe having 50+ projects going at once instead really wouldn't cause a massive drop on the innovation that Spyderco is so famous for.

But hey, if he's that kid of wildman that can keep all those balls in the air and it works for him and his company...so be it. :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

wsdavies wrote:they are to **** addicting and eat up all my spending cash. It makes it hard to save up for other cool stuff when they keep releasing sweet new models and sprint run variations of beloved designs. Finally when you think you're out of the woods somebody puts an old design for sale on bf or ebay that you didn't know existed. I guess it beats a drug habit. :p
+1
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.