Knives for dinner out

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
INFRNL

Knives for dinner out

Post by INFRNL »

I am going out to eat with the boss (wifey) and I was wondering if any of you use your spydies instead of the supplied knives?
I have thought about using my knife a few times; have only done it once at a restaurant.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Jonwes

Post by Jonwes »

Haha, I've been tempted as the steak knives supplied are obviously crap.

I'm curious as to which spydie would blend in most.

Bill moran? Although might get some looks pulling it out of its sheath...
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I think I saw a pic on the EDC pic post where a guy used his GB to cut a steak at a fancy dinner lol
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I do, but when I do it's usually the all black Para2. It's small, subdued, and cuts like a dream. It isn't flashy, to prevent attracting attention, , and it cuts fast, so it isn't out long. Of course my wife still thinks I'm crazy. Used it just a couple of weeks ago at a wicked good steak place here in the Denver area called Shanahans. Mixed crowd of surgeons and cops, so pretty much everyone with us that evening could appreciate the value of a sharp blade.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

to be honest, Id rather use an opinel :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have never while eating out. I usually try to suffer through it or use an area of the knife that isn't so used.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I sure wouldn't unless you are all close friends. Business dinners are sometimes awkward already.

The only time I might use a Spydie at dinner is if at a BBQ or burger place, something informal. Just me personally; do what feels right.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

we just got back from Texas roadhouse...I thought hard about it, but couldn't talk myself into it. I had my Chaparrel with me; would have been perfect, but suffered witht he high $ brazilian knife they had.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have use my delica 4 a time or two in a public restaurant. I don't seem to get looks or anything here, but it is probably due to my geography. I used my H1 Dfly tonight, but I was in my own dining room.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Use the Supplied flatware.....

Anything else is incredibly tacky to say the least....

That is unless one is eating at a place were they serve on paper plates and most of the people there are wearing wife beaters....
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

I use my Spyderco all the time. Usually my Para 2 or my endura 4....I love the look people get when you pull out your own knife. I also like their faces when they are sawing away at their steak and mine just parts like I hit it with a laser.
:D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yeah I bring my own stuff, I don;t care whose there :p ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
rondv

Post by rondv »

[quote="Dr. Snubnose"]Yeah I bring my own stuff, I don;t care whose there :p ...Doc :D
QUOTE]

I like your style Doc! :cool:
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Great pic doc: bring that to the steakhouse. That would be great to see everyone's face when you pull it out
HighDesertSpyder

Ax 1 - Food 0

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Dem green onions and da' cookie got it good boy! :eek:
:spyder:74:spyder:
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I have had to pull out my Street Beat a time or two while out with friends. Everyone has agreed that it makes a really top-notch steak knife.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Nothing beats a rocksalt or schempp rock at dinner time at a classy restaurant with your boss
hickster

Post by hickster »

Oh yeah! I love busting out the Millie or Stretch for steak or pizza.
hickster
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Ankerson wrote:Use the Supplied flatware.....

Anything else is incredibly tacky to say the least....

That is unless one is eating at a place were they serve on paper plates and most of the people there are wearing wife beaters....
Agree 100%.
BBSWE

Post by BBSWE »

If your not at a picnic or BBQ that would guarantee you a lot of looks and quite possibly a call to the police over here...