Factory second mark?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rg02

Factory second mark?

Post by rg02 »

I was looking at my Sage 3 that I got yesterday. Is this a factory second mark?! Sorry for poor quality, best I could do with my phone.....

-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey rg,
i only have one second. a fg manix 2 sprint.
it's marked with a grind mark on the corner of the spine near the jimping.
hope this helps.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Seems a bazaar place to mark it. Most I've seen are on the side of the spine near the hole (or thereabouts).
rycen

Post by rycen »

Where is the mark? Did it come with the correct box?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Definitely not. As others have said, the mark is ground into the spine of the blade behind the Spydie hole, where the jimping would be. Secondly, the last time Spyderco had a 2nds sale, that knife wasn't even out yet. Last 2nds sale was Nov 2010. Sage 3 was released Feb or March 2011 IIRC.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rg02

Post by rg02 »

That's what I thought too blerv, however the knife was NIB and I only flicked it open and closed a few times and noticed that mark. I don't know what the internal guts of the sage 3 look like, but I dont see how flicking it open aNd closed can cause that mark?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

rycen wrote:Where is the mark? Did it come with the correct box?
It did come with the red and black spydie box labeled sage 3......
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Just for reference, here's what my factory 2nds marks look like. The Chicago has a nick right behind the opening hole while my Millie is towards the bottom of the jimping. My other 2nds are all like one or the other of these two.
Attachments
Factory 2nds Mark.jpg
Factory 2nds Mark.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely not a seconds mark and, FWIW, mine has it too. I think it may be an artifact of the way the blades are cut and polished, or something intentional to interface with the lock bolt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Like everyone else stated it is definitely not a second mark on your knife.
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Both my Sage3s have that mark, It is from the Piston lock rubbing when it is engaged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Thanks so much everyone! You are all very helpful :D
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

That does not look like any factory second markes I have seen or installed.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rg02

Post by rg02 »

100% so far everyone says it is not. Sage 3 owners have said they have the same mark on theirs. It is due to the locking mechanism. I feel much better! Thought I got ripped off online......

Thanks again everyone!
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

*sigh* Why did it take until most of the way down the page for someone to just tell this poor guy that the mark he sees is how the bolt lock interacts with the blade? Yes thats completely normal. :P If it wasn't there you should start to worry. Also just as a note manix2 users will not a similar mark on their blade tangs.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Those look nice!
jabba359 wrote:Just for reference, here's what my factory 2nds marks look like. The Chicago has a nick right behind the opening hole while my Millie is towards the bottom of the jimping. My other 2nds are all like one or the other of these two.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you want to see a few more examples of what the notches on Spyderco seconds look like, this page of mine shows a number of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Do factory seconds have an intentional mark to distinguish them as seconds? Or is the mark one that would place it in a "seconds" category because it isn't perfect?

Jack
Post read edit: I read the thread after posting the above. I wasn't aware of a mark to indicate a knife was a second. I see the mark on my Manix2. Mine is not as obvious as the one in the picture above. I have the one with tan scales which was released after the video of the Manix2 failing the overstrike test. Maybe it was added to allow the ball to travel farther along the tang and not slide back allowing the blade to close during an overstrike on the handle. That's just a thought. The ball not going forward far enough could allow the blade to close accidentally. I assume the same holds true for the bolt lock. If I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me so I will know.

Jack
computernut

Post by computernut »

My Sage3 has a small mark like that from the locking bar snapping over the tang when you close it.
rycen

Post by rycen »

jackknifeh wrote:Do factory seconds have an intentional mark to distinguish them as seconds? Or is the mark one that would place it in a "seconds" category because it isn't perfect?

Jack
Post read edit: I read the thread after posting the above. I wasn't aware of a mark to indicate a knife was a second. I see the mark on my Manix2. Mine is not as obvious as the one in the picture above. I have the one with tan scales which was released after the video of the Manix2 failing the overstrike test. Maybe it was added to allow the ball to travel farther along the tang and not slide back allowing the blade to close during an overstrike on the handle. That's just a thought. The ball not going forward far enough could allow the blade to close accidentally. I assume the same holds true for the bolt lock. If I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me so I will know.

Jack
What your talking about has nothing to do with a factory second mark.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal