Whats the worst cut you got with a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeo

Post by mikeo »

I stabbed myself with my Ladybug, today, but not deep, at all. just a bit to let me open my eyes, and breathe a sigh.
I had cut my thumb, very badly, several years ago, once with a Buck, and once with my wife's Victorinox. Both times I ended up in the ER getting stitches. With the Buck, I was opening a cardboard box, and drew the knife toward me. That was three stitches. The other time, I had found her knife in her purse, and it was corroded shut. I was using a pair of pliers trying to open the blade when my hand slipped off the pliers and across the blade, cutting my thumb almost through. Quite a few butterfly stitches were needed to keep the wound closed. Both times it happened on the nicest spring day of the respective year, and everybody was outside hurting themselves. I was in the ER until about 4:00 in the morning.
Thanks, Mike
Spyderco Green Delica, Persistence, Foliage Green Ladybug.
Kershaw Tanto Blur, Asset
Buck Rush, Folding Hunter, Squire
Case Trapper
Cold Steel Tanto Spike

Joshua 24:15
Rev 21:4-5
1 Thess 5:3
Ex 22:2
EC 10:2
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

The worst cut I had with a Spyderco was with my SS Endura. It closed on my index finger near the nail and man did it hurt. Ouch :eek:
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mr_anderson

Post by mr_anderson »

I have not cut myself on one of my knives in 6 years, lets hope I don't jinx it.
sonictek

Post by sonictek »

Tried to open a pistachio nut for my wife, sliced half of the pad parallel with the nail on my middle finger on left hand. 5 stitches. Bad thing is I play guitar - now I can't until it maybe heals. So far I can't feel anything after a month. Nerve damage? Getting better but who knows if I'll ever play again. Oh well, I wasn't that good anyway.
mikeo

Post by mikeo »

sonictek wrote:tried to open a pistachio nut for my wife, sliced half of the pad parallel with the nail on my middle finger on left hand. 5 stitches. Bad thing is i play guitar - now i can't until it maybe heals. So far i can't feel anything after a month. Nerve damage? Getting better but who knows if i'll ever play again. Oh well, i wasn't that good anyway.
ouch.
Thanks, Mike
Spyderco Green Delica, Persistence, Foliage Green Ladybug.
Kershaw Tanto Blur, Asset
Buck Rush, Folding Hunter, Squire
Case Trapper
Cold Steel Tanto Spike

Joshua 24:15
Rev 21:4-5
1 Thess 5:3
Ex 22:2
EC 10:2
kingm

Post by kingm »

About 2 weeks ago I reached into the pocket that I had my Rock Lobster in to retrieve some keys. The knife had come partly open and before I felt it I had started to peel a piece of skin about 1/4" wide and 3/4" long off my ring finger. Had to keep it bandaged for nearly a week since it was near my knuckle so every time I bent my finger it would break back open. I switched the clip on that knife to tip down carry.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Elmax Mule got me last night...

I was busy with the finishing touches on a Tambotie handle (similar to Cocobolo). The knife was clamped edge-up in the vise. I turned away to get a different grit sandpaper, and when I turned back, the back of my right hand just touched the exposed point, resulting in a 3cm long, and quite deep cut just above the little finger. It did not bleed much, but was gaping open when I moved the finger. Off to ER, and 3 stiches...

The bummer is that I had the blade taped for most of the time, but not at that moment . Lesson learnt!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

OldSarSwmr wrote:My worst cut happened to my bank account and hasn't healed yet.
+1
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just nipped the end of my left thumb the other day sharpening my Military. I was running my finger down the side of the edge feeling for a burr (which i'm comfortable doing..it's all in the technique, you have to be careful not to put pressure directly on the edge and you're fine) and right as i was about to put the knife back on the Edge Pro, somehow my thumb got in the way and the tip hit my thumb and sliced right through it. It scalloped a good piece of skin off and bleed like crazy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I bagged a number rabbits yesterday, paunched them in the field with my M390 Military and took them home for processing.

It was during this, usually bloodless, process that I noticed fresh drops of blood around the work surface. On closer inspection I found a sizeable cut on my right ring finger. The strange thing is, I had been using the knife in my right hand. I realised what must have happened- I had dropped a haunch of rabbit onto the kni which was on the edge of the sink. When I retrieved the meat, I must have caught my finger on the blade underneath.

The guilty party:

Luckily I had been given some latest gen skin glue by a rep, so I put it to good use:

Seems to be doing ok so far.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Today, holding Q-tip and cleaning the lint out of a freshly polished, sharpened and microbeveled Delica 4. Q-tip broke and the tip of my middle finger just below and parallel to the finger nail sliced deeply. That toothy microbevel was the culprit, bit I think the wound will heal cleanly. It took almost an hour to stop bleeding.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
thog94

Post by thog94 »

Not sure what knife my brother cut himself with but this is the aftermath. It's been a while since he sliced himself, probably close to 10 years, but he's outlined the scars. The one on his middle finger was bad, it was pretty much a cut close to the bone and a giant flap of skin. The one on his pinky was down to the bone. After all this time he still doesn't have all the feeling back and doesn't think the he ever will. This wasn't his fault as he was closing a knife and a friend decided to try and grab it from him.

jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I've had some real nasty cuts, but the only one with a Spyderco was not so much.

I get tiny little warts on my hands, and was fond of slicing them off with my little Buck Mini. My first time with my Ladybug went a little deep. Not a nasty cut, just a warning. The Ladybug is just too sharp for slicing on my hands. Back to the Buck Mini.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Of the purely Spyderco slices the most painful was a 440V PE Native. I swear I felt the carbides. It hurt worse than sharp VG10. :) It was kind of like a papercut from sandpaper compared to the VG10 slices that heal so very well.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

Yesterday I received a translucent blue manix that has been on back order for some while and I have to say Spyderco puts a **** fine edge on their blades. I was using it later that day for some light home repair and missed my target, hitting my finger. I had not put much force behind the blade and was not really worried that I would cut myself bad if I did miss, well I was terribly wrong. The blade went through my left index finger as if it were butter. It immediately started gushing blood so I ran downstairs got my first aid kit started cleaning it up and my buddy who is an EMT patched me up. I was very close to needing multiple stiches however I think it will heal up nicely. Only downside is that I don't have feeling around the cut...must have hit a nerve. Oh well I was stupid and Spyderco makes razor blades :) Have to give it to Spyderco, making quality products.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
Invective

Post by Invective »

Was touching up my Endura last night, and drinking whiskey, which was not the smartest of ideas and managed slice the very end of my thumb most of the way off. I didn't feel anything at first, but noticed something drip so I ran to the bathroom, got a band-aid and some athletics tape and called it a night. Then I went back to drinking :D no more knives for the night though
computernut

Post by computernut »

I disassembled my PM2 and heeded everyone's advice to tape the blade but when I put it back together I had to partially disassemble it again after I took the tape off. I inadvertently ran my thumb down the blade and made a nice cut. You could feel the S30V slicing :eek: Another time I stabbed my finger with a Caly3 ZDP when I fumbled the roll of tape I was cutting. I thought I contained the blood but my wife found some blood drops on the bathroom tiles the next day.

Both times the wounds weren't big enough for stitches and after a couple of weeks I can't even find the spots. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to go wait in line at the hospital so I'd better learn to be more careful :rolleyes:
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im still trying to cut myself off.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I got bit this past week. We were at a Boy Scout meeting and I was leading a workshop on knots, lashing, and pioneering skills. As part of the prep work, I had to cut up several lengths of rope and whip/melt the ends to prevent fraying. Had a couple of knives with me, and I was conscious of making sure to adhere to all the Scout knife rules because I wanted to set a good example. One of the key rules is "Never set an open knife down on the table". And since I was cutting and whipping and coiling and moving around a lot - you can imagine how many times I was opening and closing my Salt.

You can probably guess the result - I wasn't paying attention and accidentally nicked the pad on my right thumb. Doesn't look that bad now, but it is pretty deep. I bled like a stuck pig for 15 minutes - but fortunately, the Troop had a good First Aid kit and bandaged me right up. No stitches this time - and the Salt rinsed right off...

Is there any worse spot to get a cut than the pad of your right thumb? Well, i might think of a couple of spots that would be more painful... :eek: But the cut is on the exact spot where I thumb open my Spydies! So for the next week or so, I'm limited to two-hand openings or Spydie drops. :rolleyes:

TedP